Huge Spread in Service Levels from Auto Locksmiths

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Decided I wanted a couple of spare FOBs for the new truck. I called a couple of local dealerships, new FOB for my 2021 2500 are 200-235 each plus 80 bucks a pop to program them, plus a key cutting charge. Problem is, can't get a spare FOB for at least 3 months.

So go on Ebay, find an OEM new FOB for 90 bucks Canadian Delivered and find an aftermarket Chinese one for 25 delivered. Order the OEM and the clone, should ne here in a couple of weeks. Thinking it isn't likely the dealership will program a FOB they didn't supply, I start phoning around for cost to reprogram from the Auto Locksmiths. Prices are all over the map from 115 per down to a couple of quotes at 75 bucks for two and another at 70 bucks for both. The interesting part is I actually had a couple of places tell em, even though they can't supply the FOBs, that if they try to program ones I supply and it doesn't work they still wanted to charge me 80 bucks each.

The variation in friendliness, helpfulness etc was markedly different and quite honestly surprising. One place wouldn't even giove me a price over the phone, insisted I had to come to their shop to get a price. Yeh, NO!!!! In this day and age I have no idea how they get any work. Strangely enough, the places offereing the better pricing tended to be far more accomodating. Proves you don't always get better service by paying more.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have purchased FOBs through ' CarandtruckRemotes '
They are New OEM, same as the ones at the dealership
They also carry refurbished FOBs, & the empty outer case
They also sell blank Valet Keys

I am going to purchase a slightly different kind of key, it is called a Transponder Key. I have the type of ignition that you insert the FOB into
The Transponder key is Sealed & it has a computer chip inside the head of it & the door key is molded into it.

I have found a locksmith that will program 1 FOB for $40
Most want twice that amount