Humming noise when letting off the gas pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little bit of history on the truck. It's a 06 2500 Quad cab hemi with 138000 miles. I had the dealership go through the front end because i was feeling it shaking between 60 and 70 mph . Everything was tight the only problem they found was 2 of the tires were out of balance (damm Jersey roads lol) problem solved. Now after a trip to Virginia towing a 6000lb travel trailer i noticed a humming noise after I let off the gas pedal at highway speeds. I first heard it while towing and even after I unhitched i still hear it. Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated. Thanks

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I'd expect that it's some wear or maybe just excessive backlash in the ring and pinion gears. Maybe start by checking the gear oil level in the rear end. Your favorite repair shop might offer some suggestions on whether it can be quieted down at all without breaking the bank.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Could likely be a u joint going bad. Usually when they dry up and start grinding the Needle bearings to metal dust, the dust will rust. So look around the u joints for any extra rusty area's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
I recently had a wheel cylinder start singing on wife's minivan.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Could be a wheel/ rear bearing issue, cupped or choppy tires, as stated a u -joint going bad. Hard to say without being around vehicle to hear it