HVAC airflow suddenly, and intermittently low on 2019 2500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
It's been fine since I bought it new 2.5 years ago, but during the last couple of drives, the air flow is about 75% reduced in all settings and output locations. Once or twice, it has come back up to normal, but now is weak. Fan speeds work, but flow on high feels like it used to on low. I don't know if it could be related, but this is the first winter here in CA with significant rain since I've owned the truck. Could water be in the ducting, blocking flow? I searched, and found some posts about the re-circulation door breaking off on much older trucks. Is there a cabin air filter? Any help before I DIY? I'd rather not have to go to the dealer, even though it is still under warranty. Thanks.

OP
OP
Jeff400650

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
So, I did some poking around, and found that the whole passenger side floor is saturated . An inch of water when I lifted the carpet and foam up. And looking up shows it dripping from multiple spots on and around the fan and it's motor. I removed the glove box and pulled the cabin air filter, and it was dirty and saturated with water. I think my airflow reduction occurred when the dust in the filter got wet and turned into a paste. Removing the filter restored good air flow. So now I have to solve this damn leak! Googling points to it being clogged drainage from the well under the cowl/grate that surrounds the windshield wipers. I pulled the clips and lifted the grate, but can't really see anything. I need to get the wipers off to get the grate off, and they don't budge after removing the 15mm nuts. Seems like I need a special puller or something. Oh, and when I drove it home from work today, on the first left turn (after a day of rain) I heard a slosh of water under the dash area and saw drops flow down to the passenger side floor.

Any experience with this kind of thing?

bigdodge

Reaction score
The wipers need a puller like you suspected. One thing to check would be the AC condenser drain. That may be the water you hear

OP
OP
Jeff400650

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Thanks. Is it a tool for wipers, or just some general puller? I have not used a/c, and it has rained FEET of water here in the last few weeks. I mopped a gallon from the floor. I'm pretty sure it is rain water getting in at the cowl area. I just don't know where the drains are.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The drain for the AC evaporator is right above the passenger side frame rail.

OP
OP
Jeff400650

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Thanks. I will check for that, but I don't think that is my issue. I'm dealing with rain water, not a/c condensation.
Aren't there some drains from the windshield cowl area? I did find a little piece of mastic under there that is lifted up. Maybe that is letting water in.

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeff400650- just wondering if you ever figured out where the water was coming from.
I have the same exact problem after a ton of rain, I have a 2019 2500. Soaked cabin air filter, wet floor and can hear water sloshing around when driving.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HACK FOR CLOGGED DRAIN: If U have another leak, that would be another matter. OP< U may be having both issues, both a leak and clogged AC Evaporator drain line. Posting this FYI.

Here is where the drain is for a 2019 Ram 1500 5th Gen. Not sure on yours. BTW, U can stick a pencil in there, eraser side till it stops, but not push hard to try and unclog. There were also other posts on using compressed air and others using wet vac to suck out. Be real careful on the wet vac, if U decide to go that route. I just used pencil and unclogged my drain when it was clogging and used the hack U will see in pics to keep road debris out of tube. Also, I will post on 1500, where I modified the drain, as a horizontal drain can get clogged up with road debris. 5/8" rubber hose over the outlet, and a 3/8" by 1/2" pvc inserted into the hose.

Drain hack.JPGAC DRAIN 2019 DT RAM.jpg

Last edited:

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. This is a good place to start.

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine ended up being from the clogged drainage holes under the windshield/cowl area. Pulled everything off, cleaned out the junk and rinsed. Just had heavy rain again and no issues. Guess it will just have to be something I check once a year.