HVAC blower issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in the truck today and turned the AC on. After a few seconds, smoke starts coming out of the column. I turned the AC off and pulled over to inspect and couldn't see anything so I drove home. At home I took a better look by removing the panel under the steering wheel, still not being able to see anything. I tested again and could see a spark from behind the column somewhere but not sure where, and immediately shut it off. Checked fuses to see if everything was ok in there and it is, no blown fuses. The blower motor will not turn on with heat or AC. I am wondering if there is a open wire with a short in there, or a relay or something else that is hidden that maybe is the culprit. Any ideas on what to look for in there? On a basic visual inspection, I cannot see anything that is burnt, but will get in there a bit better later on or tomorrow to see.

OP
OP
G

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doing a little research and figured out that the blower motor, among other things, is run through the ignition switch. Would it make sense that the ignition switch went bad, smoked and that is the issue? What I have not determined yet is if other things that run through the switch will still continue to work if the smoke is let out of the switch (at least in regards to the blower motor)

OP
OP
G

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, sorry for using the forum to think out loud, but do have another question or two. I disconnected the ignition switch and checked out the connector (didn't remove the switch yet, dark out and will work on that tomorrow). The attached pics iswhat I found

20181004_184726.jpg

20181004_185222.jpg

So clearly this is where the issue lies. First question is, would something else cause this? Previous owner installed a remote start, head unit, amplifier and subs. The head unit is using the stock harness with the wiring adaptors, so that is likely ok. Not sure about the remote start, but I believe he ran a remote wire for this amp directly into the fuse box and just pushed the bare wire into the slot with the fuse itself. I will have to fix that, didn't notice it until I started troubleshooting this. Anyway, just trying to find out if I have to correct some other issue first.

Second question, how do I fix the connector? Do I replace the switch and solder the wires to from new connector to the existing truck wires? Sorry, but I never replaced a harness like this.

Thanks to anyone reading this that has some advice on what steps to take.

If this belongs in the electrical forum now that I've narrowed it down the switch and wiring, please feel free to move, like the mods need my permission :)

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That connector is definitely fried, try junkyard for that pig tail to splice in. I’m not great with electrical but there’s definitely a short somewhere, follow those wires back n see if you can locate the issue point, it could be a bare wire touching metal somewhere or melted, broken wires, check the ground for that plug and make sure it’s good and clean.

Someone else with knowledge of electrical will hopefully chime in for ya bud cause that’s about all I have sorry.

OP
OP
G

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this normal? Not sure if this is stock harness or not . The wires are split between two idea tical connectors . 20181006_105750.jpg