I accidentally put DIESEL in my 2019 6.4 Hemi Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delano Bartolomei

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys,

I'm brand new here. I inherited a 2019 6.4L Limited Hemi truck and went to the pump for the first time today. Stupidly I put diesel (out of habit) in this gas truck.
I've been reading a number of threads online on how to drain a RAM 2500 tank but most cater to diesel 6.7L.
Here's what I learned:
  • You can't siphon out of the tank like the good ol' days because of fuel theft protection.
  • Fuel filters are inside the tank and there are no external filters that I can disconnect to drain fuel
  • Not to start the engine (obviously)
I know I could have it towed to the dealership, but my father used to be an auto mechanic and he's offered to help me tomorrow.

Would someone have any tips on how to drain the tank of a gas 6.4L HEMI truck?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to disconnect the fuel filler hose between the filler and the tank. Then you can get a hose in the tank.

Lots of people just drop the tank in this situation.

If it hasn’t been started at all since the mixup I’d probably just siphon it out and refill it.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I'd see where you disconnect the filler and the tank and do that and try to siphon from there. Your going to need 7 5 gallon cans and then have a way to dispose it. It won't be any good for anything. The other thing is what if anything happened to the gas pump.

I'm surprised the diesel nozzle fit into the filler neck of the truck. In the past they where larger to prevent it from fitting. Guess not....

OtterOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck man!!! Please update once your beast is up and running again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm surprised the diesel nozzle fit into the filler neck of the truck. In the past they where larger to prevent it from fitting.
They make a retail diesel pump nozzle that larger but it's not always used on the retail pumps. Only the commercial pumps use the large nozzle, but if you use those be sure to pump slow unless you like to wear diesel fuel...lol
The bigger complaint is diesel pump handles used to all be green, then BP started using green handles on their gas pumps and black on the diesel.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In the gas crisis of the '70s my father-in-law had his family on a trip back to Jersey from (I think) Illinois. They were getting low and stopped for gas. After a long line and only allowed 10 gallons of gas he told them to put in 10 gallons of diesel too. A bit of an argument ensued but eventually they conceded. They made it home without any issue, apart from a bit more smoke from the tailpipe than normal.

One caveat - I believe that is the van they had rigged up a 50 gallon tank in, because of the crisis, so that they could fill up whenever they had a chance and have as much distance ahead of them as possible. So they may have only had 10 gallons of diesel and 30 gallons of gas, or some such thing.

Another story - my brother used to work for a truck service place and they ended up with a truck that someone had put gas in the (diesel) tank. No idea the ratio, but my brother scavenged the mixture and put in 5 gallons at a time in his Wagoneer.

All that said, some diesel in a gas system is going to be a WHOLE lot more tenable than some gas in a diesel system!