I can take the heat...Give it to me straight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Covet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
96 Jeep GC, 5.2 lites had over 400,000 kms and still running strong but body gave up, 2008 Honda CRV, 440,000 kms, still our daily driver- no engine issues on either vehicle

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I may be a bit out of touch...So no offense toward anyone, but here goes...

I always viewed gasoline engines as being good for 100K miles...If you got more than that without major repair, it was a good thing. 150K miles? Trade-in time. 200K miles? Headed to a high school kid for his first junker or the boneyard.

So, when I see posts from guys with 150K miles complaining about wasted lifters/camshafts, etc., I just have to ask...Do you guys REALLY expect these things to run forever unabated? That's not insulting you, I'm asking you....How did we get to that point that we now believe this stuff is good for so many miles, especially if it's all local miles and not state-to-state highway miles?
240k miles on previous 2007 GMC 2500HD 6.0 liter gas engine. Truck was never in the shop for anything. I towed an 11k fifth wheel with it about 10% of the time. It was never down as much as quart of oil between 5000 mile oil changes. Never ran synthetic in it. Most reliable truck I have ever owned.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
In the late 60s and early 70s my brother ran a fleet of Oldsmobile Delta 88s that always ran 125-150k miles and never had an engine issue before we traded them in. He drove a GMC diesel pickup with the notoriously bad engine over 300k miles. I've had a lot of vehicles over the years and the only ones that have ever had major engine troubles were a pair of Honda Civics my wife and I bought. Both of them had trashed the engines before 70k. I'm driving my second Pentastar. The first one had 88k perfect miles when it was totaled. Currently I drive a 17 with 70k and it still runs perfect. I've built a lot of Chevy small blocks, Ford FE and Chrysler RB engines and I never expected them to NOT run for over 150k. Wife's Scion just turned over 100k and it's perfect. No maintenance other than changing the oil and it still get 30mpg. I'm just glad that I didn't get the Hemi.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not quite that jaded, yet. The manual says many things that are intended to help you extend the life of your truck. "Don't do this, damage may occur". "Only use soft cleaning solutions on this dash" or whatever yada yada.

Point is, they're not intentionally writing the manual to deceive us and kill our trucks prematurely.

It just so happens that there is a manufacturing flaw with an individual lifter, and some oils are better at preventing (cleaning off varnish/gunk) this damage, or extending the life of the lifter if the damage has already started (moly etc).

I am left scratching my head on the transmission oil change interval though. I have no words to explain why a third party like FCA would overrule the recomendation from the manufacturer (ZF) itself when they clearly tell us to change the oil every so often. No doubt some of you will use this as proof that they want to screw us over into a newer truck but I don't think so. Reputation also matters, even to FCA.
I'm not saying they are trying to not extend the life of the truck.

However the JD Power cost of ownership is a big metric, the trans oil change is most likely driven by that. That and they figure it will last the vast majority of people 100k miles - which just happens to be the max designed life.

I am going off of the fact that the lifetime service contract will be prorated, if you cancel it, up to 10 years/100k miles. After that, there is no more prorate value returned to you if you cancel the contract - ie. sell the truck and ask for a refund.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9

I always viewed gasoline engines as being good for 100K miles...If you got more than that without major repair, it was a good thing. 150K miles? Trade-in time. 200K miles? Headed to a high school kid for his first junker or the boneyard.

So, when I see posts from guys with 150K miles complaining about wasted lifters/camshafts, etc., I just have to ask...Do you guys REALLY expect these things to run forever unabated? That's not insulting you, I'm asking you....How did we get to that point that we now believe this stuff is good for so many miles, especially if it's all local miles and not state-to-state highway miles?
I had a 1 ton Chevy single wheel that went 485,000 and it towed a trailer all its life. Only freeway miles. Stop and go is harder on them than straight runs. Front end wore out after 215,000. And just rebuilt it. Not hard and pretty cheap too. I still see that truck go by my place every once in a while. Guy that bought liked the exhaust cut outs. Seems like he liked it loud. 12 miles to town out here. I don't know what he does with it, 5th wheel hitch is still in the bed. I think it's a matter of maintenance that will extend their life. Got an older dodge still chugging along over 500,000. Seems like it is just getting broke in. Only thing I ever changed was the tranny, it has an Allison in it now.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had 3, or 4 rams, never needed anything, but they where low mileage
I have run 318, and 440 for 300,000 mlles
Granddaughter has a CRV with 350k on the motor
Fellow across the road has 450k on a chev 1500, 2005?

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I have the lifetime warranty, I’ll be driving mine until the cost of the repair outweighs the value of the truck. At 78k she’s still going strong so hopefully I won’t need any serious work for a long time.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I remember at 100K and you were walking. Those were the good ol days. I still think the were really good old days but cars last longer now.

Our family 1962 Chev inline 6 engine had to be rebuilt somewhere after 100K. It did not make it to 200K before another rebuild and sold. That is the only pre 90's that made it past 100K.

We had a 91 Plymouth Acclaim V6 200K plus, an abused 95 Dodge Dakota (bought with 190K showing) with 210K, 95 Dodge 2500 Van 220K, still have a 14 year old Chrysler T&C with 213K.

Yes, except for the Dakota we had new, did maintenance by the book mostly by me. All of the above were still running when we got rid of them.

Yes, all had to have some repairs along the way. The Acclaim needed a transmission at 75K, 2500 van had to have the limited slip diff replaced at around 100K, the T&C has has some engine and transmission work along the way. Still cheaper than a new one.

Like the OP stated, these things don't last for ever. Expect to make some repairs.

As said above they are better now. I think to some extent the imports from Japan helped them to improve.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
With fuel eventually getting up to 8 bucks a gallon. You might think twice about that. I just did a run for 3,000 miles and it cost me a bit over 2,250 in fuel delivering a 5th wheel. 375 gallons of fuel one way. Half that coming back. Average fuel cost, 6.13 for diesel. If I had a ford lightning, or whatever they call it, fill ups would be about 9-23 bucks. Approx 14 fill ups using their info and the extended battery. around 250? You tell me, which would give me more profit?? I don't know the maintenence costs of that EV. But can't be any worse than my ram . Be interesting to see ram drop theirs on the market. they say it will have a 500 mile range empty. I wouldn't mind checking one out.
Eventually in 47 years your going to change types of fuel you use gas and diesel will be gone. I love my diesel but petroleum products will be gone. Hydrogen looks promising, but filling a tank seems more problematic. It's going to happen. If you don't look ahead, your going to be left behind. Heck I haul any type of vehicle. And I have a specialty shop I play in for diesels. For those running gas, you might have alcohol, but it runs to hot in a diesel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daleo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3500 ??? You just got a lemon. 90,000 with Charger 5.7 Hemi zero tick. Zero issues. Plan to go 300,000 if possible. No body issues either, but I don't live in snow belt.

Leolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think part of the expectation was set by real world results of the Japanese cars from the 90's. I had 2 Hondas that easily hit 150k with just oil and brake changes. My 2000 Ford Crown Vic well exceeded 200k without any major repairs. When I bought my 2012 Ram, my expectation was certainly to get at least 150k and it has 199k today without any engine issues. Unfortunately the rest of the truck is starting to rust apart just this year. The exhaust bolts have been broken for years, but that doesn't affect driveability. Looking forward to my next Ram.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
.... Average fuel cost, 6.13 for diesel. If I had a ford lightning, or whatever they call it, fill ups would be about 9-23 bucks. Approx 14 fill ups using their info and the extended battery. around 250?...

Yes, but, no more 10 or 15 min in and out fuel stops either. How long will you have to wait at stops while the electric truck charges? Will you be able to get in and out of charge stations with the trailer hooked up ? I think the answers as of today would be a long time an no...disconnect trailer to charge?

All this will probably change over time.

On the other hand I'm retired and will mostly be using the new Ram 2500 6.4 to tow the travel trailer in summer and snowmobile trailer in winter. So at around 10K miles a year, if it goes 150K, that would take me 15 years. By then, maybe an electric truck could be practical for my purposes.

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck was 3500 miles new when it developed hemi tick, now I'm not sure where that falls in your rant. of course when you take it in you get the famous it is normal hemi noise from the dealer, lol. Like wait, it wasnt knocking when I bought it.

So is that normal for a "gas engine" to start freaking knocking at 3500 miles? Yeah ok. This is my first and last hemi, that is all I got. Never again.
Had that on my 15, hated it. Replaced all the head bolts and fixed it for about 3 month. Guess I should have replaced exhaust manifold too, but traded it instead. Can’t stand driving a vehicle with a tick…

Zaraspook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You must be a new car salesman> Your expectations arent realistic.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I expect 200000 miles with few minor repairs out of any new vehicle I buy. Toyotas have been doing this for years. No reason our trucks shouldn’t.

DesertDan63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Good Morning All, I'm just about to hit 150k on my 2014 Ram 4x4 6.4l Hemi and I'm a little scared!. I've read all kind of stuff on how long things should last and I've been lucky!! It's a great truck! But with the cost of a New Ram Truck... I've decided to upgrade anything that fails.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Go look on most dealers used car lots. There many with 150,000 miles and yes some over 200,000 miles. They ask prices that I wonder how a person could hope to see the payments end before a serious major expensive breakdown. For many years I traded a vehicle off just before 100,000 miles. Now my 17 RAM has 108,000 and I intend to keep it for at least another 42,000 miles.
I read that a different brand of lifters were used in 2017 and beyond, I don't know for sure. However I have a lot of idle time on the clock and so far there has been no ticking or exhaust bolts breaking.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
The Hemi Tick is not a big deal IMO. The lifter/cam failure is. GM has the exact problem with their V-8's. Ford has Canister failure on turbos. Toyota Tundra has issues with starter which is hell to get too. The Titan has a rock solid motor, just ugly as hell. I love my 2019 5th Gen Laramie, hope they have addressed the issues. We shall see.

Dodge Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Back in the day, you tuned up your vehicle every 20,000 miles or so. Fluids were changed at set intervals. With the advent of fuel injection and computerization, these things have been pushed out a bit. Spark plug swaps at 100,000 miles are common. Not changing fluids until they reach a certain color (Dealerships). It seems while we’re living in what appears to be a “disposable” world, automobiles are lasting longer and longer. Especially with advancements in lubrication products. The key, of course, is maintenance!

Just my two cents!

Walt

OP
OP
Scottly

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You must be a new car salesman> Your expectations arent realistic.
Two posts...One to unzip your fly, the other to whip it out, stomp on it, and jump up and down until you mash it into a fine paste.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye