I can take the heat...Give it to me straight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I may be a bit out of touch...So no offense toward anyone, but here goes...

I always viewed gasoline engines as being good for 100K miles...If you got more than that without major repair, it was a good thing. 150K miles? Trade-in time. 200K miles? Headed to a high school kid for his first junker or the boneyard.

So, when I see posts from guys with 150K miles complaining about wasted lifters/camshafts, etc., I just have to ask...Do you guys REALLY expect these things to run forever unabated? That's not insulting you, I'm asking you....How did we get to that point that we now believe this stuff is good for so many miles, especially if it's all local miles and not state-to-state highway miles?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of them run that long with good MX. But alas, a lot of "gasser" owners like me (previous ED owner, traded up, no longer needed the ED), not run many miles. Mine will be 4 years old soon and has 20K on odometer. It is definitely a driveway princess. This is strictly IMHO ...................................

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can see both side of this. I have owned 5 different vehicles that have climbed into the 200's with no major mechanical issues other than a transmission (which I toasted). But I also see what you are saying. All I know is that if you do proper maintenance, you should get a lot of miles from your engine but there always those out there that just can't make it.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You could assign those categories of numbers to each engine type, but different for each type.

For a 5.7 Hemi, I would add 50k to those numbers, for a 6.4 Hemi, you are probably close.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be able to easily get 200k+ IF WELL MAINTAINED on these 4th Gen RAMs without issue. I had a 2002 Ram that had 250k and never had a major motor issue. Had a 2000 GMC Sierra that had 275k that never had a major motor issue. THe problem I have is a truck failing IF WELL MAINTAINED for a issue that should not of been an issue ie CAM/Lifter prematurely. I mean how often do you hear of the 4th Gen Hemi engine failing due to other reason? 90%+ is due to the Cam/Lifter that should of never failed IMO.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got around 150k~ on mine with only general/preventative maintenance done.
No tick, still runs like a scalded dog too.
I didn't realize the 3rd gens were considered more dependable though?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My father used to say that his cars growing up (in the 50's) were shot at 70K. The materials, tolerances, lubricants and many other factors contribute to engines lasting MUCH longer now.

I traded in a 2006 Pacifica with 197K, never opened the engine or transmission for anything, ran great. By brother in law had a Dodge Magnum with a hemi, about the same year, junked it with 302K, because of rot. It ran fine and the motor and transmission only had basic maintenance.

The problem was chassis and body rot. The last 4 or 5 vehicles that I have gotten rid of had nothing to do with them not running well, and everything to do with the ravages of New England winters.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My truck was 3500 miles new when it developed hemi tick, now I'm not sure where that falls in your rant. of course when you take it in you get the famous it is normal hemi noise from the dealer, lol. Like wait, it wasnt knocking when I bought it.

So is that normal for a "gas engine" to start freaking knocking at 3500 miles? Yeah ok. This is my first and last hemi, that is all I got. Never again.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive always had high mileage cars, couldnt afford anything else. No real engine problems. Alternator here and there, a/c evaporator, couple clutches. Havent had to go internal on anything since the 70s and then I could do it. Driving a 2016 Mazda6 we got used and the 2008 Ram passed down. I can't justify 17 car payments a year and a 10k loss in value.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think I've ever bought a vehicle with less than 100K on the clock. They've all lasted till around 200K, my Dakota made it to 225K and the tranny crapped out but the engine was still strong. And I've had a slew of little commuter/ delivery vehicles: couple saturns, a cavalier, a Jetta...
So yes, I expect 200K+ out of every vehicle with typical maintenance. I do not expect major engine repair before 200K. So having to replace cam/lifters in my truck at only 125K is ridiculous.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My father used to say that his cars growing up (in the 50's) were shot at 70K. The materials, tolerances, lubricants and many other factors contribute to engines lasting MUCH longer now.

I traded in a 2006 Pacifica with 197K, never opened the engine or transmission for anything, ran great. By brother in law had a Dodge Magnum with a hemi, about the same year, junked it with 302K, because of rot. It ran fine and the motor and transmission only had basic maintenance.

The problem was chassis and body rot. The last 4 or 5 vehicles that I have gotten rid of had nothing to do with them not running well, and everything to do with the ravages of New England winters.
I agree. We used to talk about "Monday" cars and "Friday" cars. If someone had a car with a lot of troubles, that's what it was.
The manufacturing techniques, materials, and modular assemblies have greatly improved reliability.

My 1996 4WD Ram 360 has over 200k and engine wise, I've only replaced the water pump. Valve covers have never been off! My 2006 Charger R/T 5.7 with over 200k hasn't had anything but an EGR replaced on the engine.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When I was young (70's), many cars were traded in with less than 30k miles on them. 70k was high mileage and often went to the auction.
One thing that has helped is the low tension ring package, older motors 225, 318, 383, 440 etc always had a ridge at the top of the cylinder even with well under 100k miles - a big significant ridge.
Newer motors can have 150-200k+ miles and there is no ridge AND you often still see the factory cross hatch hone job.

Real old motors you actually had to re-ring them after 20k miles or less.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In California, The State would have auctions when vehicles reached 120,000 miles.
The California Highway Patrol cars were always a big draw at the auction.
One of the mechanics i knew, we worked for California Department of Public Works he went to an auction & picked up a 1971 Dodge Polara, 440 Pursuit
The unit that he bought was all White, so it was used for
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, known as a ( Polar Bear )

He owned that car for a few years & then sold it to me, i kept it for maybe 18 months & he asked me if he could buy it back. He paid exactly what i had paid him for it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After talking to a few cabbles who are getting 300k plus out of a prius engine and running them to 1 million with the type of driving they do. I think getting a couple hundred thousand miles on a gas engine should be easy enough. On the other hand the diesel engines seem to be getting shorter lifespans. Our older excavators had been running to 15000 hours until we're done with them and never changed motors on any of them and now we're needing new ones in the 6-10k range depending on brand. It's like all the tighter tolerances and extra stuff on them makes them wear out quicker. The gas motors seem to last as long or longer than our diesels in the fleet as far as trucks over the last 10 years, but that may just be because the diesels are towing or have heavy service bodies on them vs the gassers being mostly parts runners and crew trucks.

Last edited:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Expectations have changed a lot. Motors typically last a long time now. Failures at 150k would upset me a bit but not shock me. Much earlier than that and I'd absolutely be upset. I own a mustang with 195k on it that runs fantastic and my brother has a camry with over 200k miles. 100k is not high miles anymore. 150k might be considered that but certainly not the end of the line for a vehicle these days.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my 2012 2500 5.7 had 200k when i sold it.a few minor issues,oviously the manifold studs,a thermostat and set of new plugs at 120k.that's it.regular service and oil/diff changes every 4/5000 miles.

Octane

Reaction score
I may be a bit out of touch...So no offense toward anyone, but here goes...

I always viewed gasoline engines as being good for 100K miles...If you got more than that without major repair, it was a good thing. 150K miles? Trade-in time. 200K miles? Headed to a high school kid for his first junker or the boneyard.

So, when I see posts from guys with 150K miles complaining about wasted lifters/camshafts, etc., I just have to ask...Do you guys REALLY expect these things to run forever unabated? That's not insulting you, I'm asking you....How did we get to that point that we now believe this stuff is good for so many miles, especially if it's all local miles and not state-to-state highway miles?
Because they are mostly built that good. This isnt the 1970s or before where metalurgy and technology was lacking so badly. And engines run cleaner and have better fuel management/ emissions etc. that help them last. I've had several vehicles that ran 300k and more. But I stay away from those goofy 3 cyl. cars etc. And Yugos... definetely Yugos! Lol

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

My Dad owned a '67 Camaro (I still have the car), took great care of the car, and the crank went out at 73K miles. He thought that was great. Today if a car has 100K it's just getting broke in good. As you say the key is proper maintenance, and to me that's basically using a good brand of oil along with changing the other fluids when needed. Being old I remenber having to change the oil every 1000 miles, so I'll never change the oil using the "oil life monitor" in new vehicles. It was hard for me to wait 5K miles, but that's when I change it now. So far, so good. Modern technology is an amazing thing.