I can take the heat...Give it to me straight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I may be a bit out of touch...So no offense toward anyone, but here goes...

I always viewed gasoline engines as being good for 100K miles...If you got more than that without major repair, it was a good thing. 150K miles? Trade-in time. 200K miles? Headed to a high school kid for his first junker or the boneyard.

So, when I see posts from guys with 150K miles complaining about wasted lifters/camshafts, etc., I just have to ask...Do you guys REALLY expect these things to run forever unabated? That's not insulting you, I'm asking you....How did we get to that point that we now believe this stuff is good for so many miles, especially if it's all local miles and not state-to-state highway miles?

LS motors routinely run into the 200k+ range with no serious issue. I fully expect a modern NA V8 to last at least to 150k-200k without major issue.

From what I saw of fleet management data, transmission failure takes out a lot more (admittedly severe use) vehicles than engine failure. There were a lot of vehicles with the original motor but second or third transmission in our fleet at one time.

Octane

Reaction score
LS motors routinely run into the 200k+ range with no serious issue. I fully expect a modern NA V8 to last at least to 150k-200k without major issue.

From what I saw of fleet management data, transmission failure takes out a lot more (admittedly severe use) vehicles than engine failure. There were a lot of vehicles with the original motor but second or third transmission in our fleet at one time.
Yes. I worked for the company that did the fleet repairs for Bellsouth in Atlanta. The trans were replaced often(4l80E) in the service vans.But usually had 180 to 200k mileage or better. Second was waterpumps.... bunches of them.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I always viewed gasoline engines as being good for 100K miles...If you got more than that without major repair, it was a good thing. 150K miles? Trade-in time. 200K miles? Headed to a high school kid for his first junker or the boneyard.

So, when I see posts from guys with 150K miles complaining about wasted lifters/camshafts, etc., I just have to ask...Do you guys REALLY expect these things to run forever unabated? That's not insulting you, I'm asking you....How did we get to that point that we now believe this stuff is good for so many miles, especially if it's all local miles and not state-to-state highway miles?
I fall into the I've done every maintenance prescribed and my lifters are now ticking at 110k group.

I followed the manual's call for 5w20 and the 10060 filter spec. Now on this forum I've found that's not what's best for the engine... And this is where I'm pissed. Why isn't what's best for the engine .... IN THE BOOK!? and better yet, how is it that when you follow what's in the book, that damage occurs.

that's where I'm livid. no way lifters should be chewing into the cam when I'm using PUP and fram ultra filters, changed every 5k, arguably some of the better components on the mainstream market.

If the engine is that specific, follow BMW / Porsche's lead and say you must use mobil 1 euro / redline ::insert other oil brands that meet the lubrication needs of the engine:: in the manual. I would have happily done that to have prevented damage to my engine.

My .02

James

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is the function of your manufacturer or the API? Is there function to ensure your trucks metal are protected forever? It is neither their goal or desire, they both have interested in less reliable vehicles. Figure that out, you are ahead of the game.

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I fall into the I've done every maintenance prescribed and my lifters are now ticking at 110k group.

I followed the manual's call for 5w20 and the 10060 filter spec. Now on this forum I've found that's not what's best for the engine... And this is where I'm pissed. Why isn't what's best for the engine .... IN THE BOOK!? and better yet, how is it that when you follow what's in the book, that damage occurs.

that's where I'm livid. no way lifters should be chewing into the cam when I'm using PUP and fram ultra filters, changed every 5k, arguably some of the better components on the mainstream market.

If the engine is that specific, follow BMW / Porsche's lead and say you must use mobil 1 euro / redline ::insert other oil brands that meet the lubrication needs of the engine:: in the manual. I would have happily done that to have prevented damage to my engine.

My .02

James
what did you find that is "best for the engine"?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not quite that jaded, yet. The manual says many things that are intended to help you extend the life of your truck. "Don't do this, damage may occur". "Only use soft cleaning solutions on this dash" or whatever yada yada.

Point is, they're not intentionally writing the manual to deceive us and kill our trucks prematurely.

It just so happens that there is a manufacturing flaw with an individual lifter, and some oils are better at preventing (cleaning off varnish/gunk) this damage, or extending the life of the lifter if the damage has already started (moly etc).

I am left scratching my head on the transmission oil change interval though. I have no words to explain why a third party like FCA would overrule the recomendation from the manufacturer (ZF) itself when they clearly tell us to change the oil every so often. No doubt some of you will use this as proof that they want to screw us over into a newer truck but I don't think so. Reputation also matters, even to FCA.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what did you find that is "best for the engine"?
Im just saying a bagillion threads on this forum and others have said / documented redline 5w30, Mobil 1 fs 0w40 and others (thousands of posts on the oil filter thread) provide better protection against wear than others.

All I’m trying to say is this lifter issue is a major letdown to owners who are otherwise following every precaution that should ensure a long lasting engine.

And just today I got the dreaded misfire code. So rebuild it is

Last edited:

Dirty D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im just saying a bagillion threads on this forum and others have said / documented redline 5w30, Mobil 1 fs 0w40 and others (thousands of posts on the oil filter thread) provide better protection against west than others.

All I’m trying to say is this lifter issue is a major letdown to owners who are otherwise following every precaution that should ensure a long lasting engine.

And just today I got the dreaded misfire code. So rebuild it is
which one was it ? cylinder i mean...its almost like a game.."0h dude i got cylinder5 and 8" "oh whoa, i only got cylinder 1" LOL sorry trying to shine a light on it lol.....i got cylinder 5 myself.

BobG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I started driving, 100,000 was a very good run for a number of reasons. First oil was nowhere near as good as today, secondly, engine manufacturing was nowhere near where it is today, third due to gearing, those engines ran much higher rpm at a given speed than today, and finally car bodies were pretty well rusted out by then, so why build an engine that will last far longer than the car itself, again unlike today.

Delta11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Fourth Gen as they call it...a 2010 2500 with a 5.7 and I have 250k so far. No problems with the engine yet. Water pump was the only engine issue. Trans changed at 195k and fuel pump went out at the same time. Nothing else. I change my own oil and add 1 bottle of Marvel every time. No oil leaks. Does not burn oil. I hope it stays that way. Lot of other preventive maintenance but no issues.

Bill Copple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2010 Ram 4.7 now has 247000 and is still in excellent condition and looks like new too! (Headlights beginning to yellow a bit despite buffing). I am a retired aviation maintenance tech so I have ALWAYS done all my own maintenance. Everything I ever laid hands in got upgraded. Drilled slotted rotors with ceramic pads, I’ve ran on full synthetic mobile 1 since 21,000 miles. Only thing major was two different incidents when deer took the wrong course. Once the skin on both left doors and the bed had to be replaced along with the front and back bumpers and the left headlight. Replaced the a/c expansion valve and receiver dryer. Upgraded the electric locks to remote locks/start/alarm system. Upgraded sound to touchscreen with nav and AirPlay with DVD player and all speakers replaced with kickers and added a 10” sub under rear seat. (Nothing special just enhances the bass) all led lights inside and out including headlamps. Basically took a plain Jane tradesman and gave it everything a fully equipped ram from 2010 would have (excep elect seats, steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display). I would love to upgrade but know what I have very well and trust it wholly.

Last edited:

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Scottly, when I was in high school in 70’s, you are correct, if you had a vehicle w 100K miles on it….it was pretty much toast. I believe in early 80’s the Japanese forced domestic auto manufacturers to “step up there game”, or risk losing a huge percentage of market share. The result was domestic manufacturers started manufacturing higher quality vehicles with better parts. Thus, we now have domestic vehicles that can see 200K miles with no major issues

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If my 5.7 develops a bad cam and lifters I will be as disappointed as I was with my new LS7 when I got
my new Z06 in 08.The trunion bearings were falling apart on the roller rockers,and the pistons and rods required upgrades Finding out in advance gives you a chance to fix it.My 5.7 has 16k and is getting long tubes eliminating the exhaust manifolds and installing ARP fasteners,but no tick yet or I’d fix that too.CE45489D-4F13-4BE5-9171-F4757C0E2C98.jpeg

Stephen Riley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of them run that long with good MX. But alas, a lot of "gasser" owners like me (previous ED owner, traded up, no longer needed the ED), not run many miles. Mine will be 4 years old soon and has 20K on odometer. It is definitely a driveway princess. This is strictly IMHO ...................................
At 187k on my 2014 4 x 4 crew cab with the Hemi, runs like the day I bought it, everything works great. Other than Hemi tick manifold issue and a water pump, no problems.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I have bought 5 - 10 new cars of all the major brands since the 80's. We have got about 200k out of all of them. Like Dad preached -- change the oil regularly...

The 80's Olds that lost an oil pump at 150k or so, use of good oil required. I now use AMSoil exclusively. If U have several vehicles and change the oil -- sign up so U get free shipping. I can always get oil anytime I need it with only 3 or day delay.

Oh, I don't like buying used since U have no idea how it was treated. I do believe the newer cars are much better than the 70's and before. But even then we got over 100k on them. Dad was a mechanic and only bought used. He loved the late 70's Olds diesels that had some engine problem that conked out at around 40k. He would buy a junked gasser and move the engine.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I
which one was it ? cylinder i mean...its almost like a game.."0h dude i got cylinder5 and 8" "oh whoa, i only got cylinder 1" LOL sorry trying to shine a light on it lol.....i got cylinder 5 myself.
don’t know yet.. It stumbled to start on 2 occasions same day, then threw a check engine code. Of course it did it while I’m 6 hours away from home on July 4th.

Thankfully after 30 mins or so the CEL cleared itself, but still.

Guess I’m putting together all the parts sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got to wonder how much the oil , has to do with lifter/cam failure of 4th gen hemi’s. The 04 I have calls for 15-40 diesel oil . This is the 2nd engine as the valve seat dropped in my 1st. However both engines had the same tick . 161k on 1st & 290k on 2nd.(in the same truck)The 1st had 3miles on it . Bought truck new. The 2nd was a 50k engine I got for $900.00. The 2nd still going strong ,still has tick. So what oil does ram call for in the 4th gen hemi ? 15-40 or something else.

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I’ve got to wonder how much the oil , has to do with lifter/cam failure of 4th gen hemi’s. The 04 I have calls for 15-40 diesel oil . This is the 2nd engine as the valve seat dropped in my 1st. However both engines had the same tick . 161k on 1st & 290k on 2nd.(in the same truck)The 1st had 3miles on it . Bought truck new. The 2nd was a 50k engine I got for $900.00. The 2nd still going strong ,still has tick. So what oil does ram call for in the 4th gen hemi ? 15-40 or something else.
I also agree with that. The quality of lubricants has made significant advances over the past 30 years, reducing wear and prolonging the service life of critical components

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
3 miles - was a Monday or Friday car -- HaHaHa... If most others of that model survive ok.