I did it finally, got a Ram [and a question.]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deep_Blu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my first ram truck today, a 2008 2500 Big Horn, 5.7 [No 5.9 for me for me, -30 degree weather here not conducive to diesels]

She's in beautiful shape, a snow bird, lived in the north star state in the summer, and flew south with a camper during the winter, never saw salt in her life, some old guy put steps and fender flares on it when it was new, confirmed under them is fresh red paint, not a spec of rust.

Now my first question......how in the heck can you get the rust off your rotors faster, this truck sat during a thunderstorm and did not go anywhere for a few days, when I picked her up her rotors where brown, she still sounds like a dump truck when stopping and I spent two hours looking very stupid going to 40 and stopping on a back road.

snowbird.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad is the rust? Under normal circumstances the rust on a rotor will be gone in your typical ride to work. I would give it a few days before worrying too much about it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congrats on finding a nice clean truck.

Try some CRC Brakleen. If the rust is thick on the rotor had, get out the wire brush as well. Don't get too aggressive with anything abrasive (wire wheel, sandpaper, etc...) on the rotor face.

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's amazing how fast surface rust appears on rotors. It really just takes a few days for them to turn color. I just drive like normal, and after one drive, they are shiny again. As long as the surface isn't damaged yet, they should be fine.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
some say you can just hit the brakes hard and burn it off..or use brake cleaner..or sandpaper. Depending on possibly ther quality of the rotors as well, that may not be good enough. Me, I'd take it into a shop and at the least get the brakes and rotors inspected and cleaned professionally. if the rotors are rusty, there could be more than just rusty discs as a result. My daughter had mildy rusty rotors only it appeared when she purchased her Escape. the ford dealership cleaned the rotors we were told, brakes seemed fine. Fast forward to 6 months later...bad grooves in back rotors, glazing in front and back, glazed and gummed up pads. my analysis is the ford dealer didn't do thorough work they should have to save money on a discounted vehicle and made it good enough but not resolved properly. Which led to bigger problems. Everything had to be cleaned, all rotors turned and my daughter says the brakes are better than they ever were since she bought it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some aggressive driving and braking will clear off typical surface rust with a quickness. If it persists then the rotors have started to actually deteriorate and should be turned or replaced.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very nice truck.
I've turned a few rotors, rust usually dissipates fairly quickly.....give it a day or two.
Have you checked the pads ?
Not hitting the squealers ?