I didn't want your dumb old bed anyway....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've been looking for an 8 foot bed with a good solid inner box since I bought my truck. A 2004 with a good one came in at my local pull and pay. I ordered composite bedsides on Sunday, built a rack out of scrap to hold it in my bed and was all set to go get it today. I aways go on the weekends and their "production team" is not there so I wanted to call and talk to someone just to understand exactly how they would get the bed from the yard out to my truck and how they would load it on the rack. I didn't want them damaging the inside of the new bed or the outside of my truck.
So I call and no one is available to talk to me, but the guy that answers the phone says "they will pick it up with your straps and you have to hold it while they drive it out (which is fine, even if terribly dangerous) but", and this is the key part, "you have to get the bed to the isle, they won't move the truck for you."
They stack these trucks in tail end to each other. What is considered an "isle" is 3-4 rows away from the bed I want.
So I ask, well do you have anything that will get the bed over the cab? "No, you have to bring man power".
It's not really a question of man power though is it? Maybe if I have a pro basketball team helping I can get the bed high enough to clear the cab, but there isn't enough room to get guys on each side and walk it out to an isle on the tail end side of the of the truck rows.

So the only thing I can do is maybe slide it out on its side, but I'll need friends I don't have to do that. I'm glad I called.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
They would have dropped it in your driveway for a small fee

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I've been looking for an 8 foot bed with a good solid inner box since I bought my truck. A 2004 with a good one came in at my local pull and pay. I ordered composite bedsides on Sunday, built a rack out of scrap to hold it in my bed and was all set to go get it today. I aways go on the weekends and their "production team" is not there so I wanted to call and talk to someone just to understand exactly how they would get the bed from the yard out to my truck and how they would load it on the rack. I didn't want them damaging the inside of the new bed or the outside of my truck.
So I call and no one is available to talk to me, but the guy that answers the phone says "they will pick it up with your straps and you have to hold it while they drive it out (which is fine, even if terribly dangerous) but", and this is the key part, "you have to get the bed to the isle, they won't move the truck for you."
They stack these trucks in tail end to each other. What is considered an "isle" is 3-4 rows away from the bed I want.
So I ask, well do you have anything that will get the bed over the cab? "No, you have to bring man power".
It's not really a question of man power though is it? Maybe if I have a pro basketball team helping I can get the bed high enough to clear the cab, but there isn't enough room to get guys on each side and walk it out to an isle on the tail end side of the of the truck rows.

So the only thing I can do is maybe slide it out on its side, but I'll need friends I don't have to do that. I'm glad I called.

They have forklifts that move the cars around.

Call back and ask for a manager.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
30 years ago I could have talked to the guy behind the counter and he would have hooked me up no problem, but this place has turned into a real walmart of junk yards since then. They would have to move 10 trucks just to get to it. I just assumed they had something with a boom on it for people that wanted beds.
In the old days the rows were at most only 2 cars wide so you could always get to the car you wanted.

I'll just have to engineer a solution or wait until one presents itself.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the better auto dismantling lots park the vehicles in rows back to back, with just enough room for a fork lift to maneuver.

When the lot gets crowded, they either strip the best selling items & crush the rest.
or they start stacking vehicles or fill the space between the rows, when they do that, they are actually losing money, they can't bring in new stock.
None of the dismantlers of those type yards keep up current inventory their stock, although they have records of the vehicle coming in, they don't know what parts are sellable on that vehicle.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Welcome to the new Millennia .... I went to have my truck washed at the car wash yesterday.... due to time constraints (I usually do it myself, but the tree pollen...) At the car wash, I was asked if I wanted a handwash, which costs considerably more (Manhours and all that rot!), to which I gave an emphatic "yes".

The truck is driven 'round back, I'm directed to the cashier with my "ticket".... pay for afore mentioned "hand wash", and have a seat in the waiting room. After a few minutes, I got curious, and went around back and spotted my truck sitting in the parking lot outside the hand wash/ detailing department while they finish up a Ram 3500 with a steel tool box instead of a bed. I sat on the outside bench and just watched the worker using a VERY high pressure wand on this truck, and said to myself "Self, those moorons are likely to use that weapon on your truck to do their 'hand wash' ".

They didn't disappoint! She (the employee) approached my truck with that wand like a hunter fixin' to finish off a wounded animal; pulling the trigger in rapid succession.... as I ran hollering to stop!!!

This got the attention of that manager who stopped her as he approached me to find out what all the commotion was about. I explained to him that I was told the wash is to be "HAND wash", and had formed that literal expectation. He looked me straight in the eye and fibbed, saying that the wand is/was only to clean the wheel wells... uh, er, I just saw them use it everywhere on the other customer's Ram.

I nixed the use of the high pressure and admonished him that so does the manufacturer. He kind of gave me an attitude, but begrudgingly had miss "Wand" NOT use that on my truck. I explained to him that under that kind of pressure, water gets into computer modules and electrical connectors as well as other places water wasn't supposed to get.

I watched the process from start to finish, and the girl gave me the stink-eye... but she did a great job, and I did tip her.

Newer vehicles (I've observed) have a pict-o-graph of a high pressure wand with spray coming out of the tip with a circle around it and a slash going across it at an angle under the hood. THAT, is international speak for "DON'T use this device"!

I know they mean under the hood, but, gee! These vehicles were never designed to thrive in an environment of such high pressure water exposure.

I'm fairly sure they just went back to it as SOP after I left... but my truck won't start having mystery computer malfunctions, among other problems untold! Cheers! :)

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought a complete rear axle housing for a Jeep a few years ago, the yard I used charged me $50 to pull it and loaded it on my trailer with a forklift. I’d ask them to see if that’s an option.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Simple fact is they really dont care if they sell the bed or not its the new normal. They set it out in the yard for an allotted time sell what they can off of it then crush it. I had a friend with a junk yard all classic trucks and cars went into a part of the yard where they sat until picked clean then crushed the new stuff sits for a while then gets crushed and they get some kind of credit from the state as well as the small amount of money they get from the smelters for what little steel they contain now.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Simple fact is they really dont care if they sell the bed or not its the new normal. They set it out in the yard for an allotted time sell what they can off of it then crush it. I had a friend with a junk yard all classic trucks and cars went into a part of the yard where they sat until picked clean then crushed the new stuff sits for a while then gets crushed and they get some kind of credit from the state as well as the small amount of money they get from the smelters for what little steel they contain now.
....and that goes collaterally with my unspoken point(s). Number one, the friendly. smiling faces up front KNOWINGLY deceive by making a claim of "Hand Washed". Now, I do not in any universe or dimension think that a HAND wash is interpretable as anything other than a soapy rag and some brushes with a low pressure water hose. (Which they DID do after my verbose insistence)

The snide reversal of "guilt" by the millennial manager offering in a cruddy sneer that I COULD get my money back! WTF?! How about a switch to heel clicking service with an apology for the misunderstanding. Giving away the store for EGO would have resulted in me writing him up if that was my business, with his choice of customer dynamics training (on my dime) or he could seek employment elsewhere.

I do give him credit for making the switch, but he only gets a "C" for not it doing with a smile, and stuffing his EGO and the condescending retort.

My shop is my 3rd over 47 years. I value ALL my customers and give them my VERY best each time they trade with me. This includes simple things like changing a fuse or a light bulb. Their loyalty to me is awesome!

I've tried to bring these truths to the attention of owners and managers of the different vendors whom I trade with. Their sad, weak excuses are, to the man, "We can't find good help". I empathize with them inasmuch as I used to have employees.

"EGO is the anesthesia that numbs the pain of stupidity" Rick Rigsby!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
well, The Good Lord provided me a complete rust free, and I mean zero rust, not even in the wheel arches, bed over the Easter weekend. I went and pulled it today. It's hanging from the gantry I built for the task last Fall in front of my garage. I ordered composite bedsides from EGP last black Friday weekend. They were delivered in February. This bed is in such good shape I hate to pull the quarters, but they have enough dings that it won't hurt my feeling too much. Was an interesting day. Everything went exactly as planned with no surprises. Been a very long time since that happened.

Comicus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm about to pull the bed off my 2004 and was looking around on here for what the part number is for the bolts holding the bed to the frame. Did you replace yours as part of this process?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm about to pull the bed off my 2004 and was looking around on here for what the part number is for the bolts holding the bed to the frame. Did you replace yours as part of this process?
Contact Benny in the vendor section at all Mopar parts.