I don't like my 2018 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Mine is a 2017 and has the filter in the glove box i have changed it , as for the doors i dont see a problem with mine i never noticed , I have owned a chevy and a ford and this truck has the hands down , sorry for all your problems maybe a mini van like the above mentioned ?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The door check mechanism was weaker on my two 4th gens, but I got use to it and developed inherent counter reaction, even with my diminished motor skills. It never became a problem. If anything, the noise they made after a while was far more annoying.

They most definitely fixed everything about the door checks on the '19s and it's a completely different design. The same type component they used on the Chrysler LHS series.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008288 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You see, as an old Marine I get misoriented at times but Never Lost so I will leave this to my Navy brethren to advise you further.

Semper Fi

Loved the comment! But I knew a few Marines that were awful glad they had those big naval guns soften the beaches up at places like Eniwetak, Guadalcanal, Makin, Peleliu, and Tarawa, as well as those LCI and LCVP pilots risking their lives off the beaches to pick up wounded Marines.

Anyway, where ever you served, sir, I sincerely thank you for that service.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008288 miles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was gonna make a military comment, but that is not this thread. IMHO, OP, and I am always straight forward, if U not like it, sell it. SIMPLE, buy U a Chevy or Ford or, Heaven help us a NISSAN or TOYOTA. Do what makes U happy, LOL>.. I's a Boird.......

Rowdy Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think OP was a Ford owner where you have to kick the door open and use a pry bar from the outside....I like my 2017 ram (coming over from a f150)except for the useless mirrors. And don't like not being about to play my cd's... I do love my factory beer coolers on each side..I unlike OP have plenty of room for my ROCKY and RAMBO cd collection

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a more serious note, the original poster said he was getting leaves in the glove box and could see into the engine compartment. The only reasonable way to explain the symptoms together is the cabin filter is missing.

Regards,
Dusty

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For virtually all my adult life I have been a "die hard" Ford man. I am now the proud owner of a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Express (could not get excited about the "All New" version and besides it was cheaper). Yes, there are some quirks, no CD player, no cup holders when the kiddo is riding up front in the middle, and my biggest peeve...the dial shifter. But stem to stern, this is the best truck I have ever owned. Love it and I am converted

Last edited:

Sal2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yes yes, i know this will be met with hostility or silly comments but I'm just being truthful. read my older posts. i loved it when i first bought it but now that I've had it a while i can't stand it.
That really sucks to have spent all that money and feel that way down the road.
The more I read the more committed I am to keeping my 2006 Ram that I've loved since the day it was new. When it needs work, I'll fix it, when it needs paint, I'll paint it. I'll be money ahead and happy. ;)
IMG_1784.JPG

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On a more serious note, the original poster said he was getting leaves in the glove box and could see into the engine compartment. The only reasonable way to explain the symptoms together is the cabin filter is missing.

Regards,
Dusty

You still wouldn't see thru to the engine compartment. The input to the vent is just under the hood on top near where the wipers connect I'm pretty sure.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No hostility here, but maybe some kidding around.

1) "can't stand it" - dude, maybe you're getting a little too ****. It's a truck.I can see if these things annoy you a bit, but jsut how grumpy are you going to be by teh time you hit 65?

2) Door? I haven't noticed anything peculiar about it. It seems like most other car/truck doors I've encountered.
Maybe you are just used to a previous vehicle with ****** door hinges?

3) Vent in glove box - maybe it's missing a closeout panel or something? I've never had leaves in the glove box!

4) Radio - why do you want it to turn off when you start the truck?
If it's that you just want a button to be able to turn off the radio, then I agree 100%

5) DVD collection - who uses DVD's anymore?

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes yes, i know this will be met with hostility or silly comments but I'm just being truthful. read my older posts. i loved it when i first bought it but now that I've had it a while i can't stand it.

ok let me clarify. the body is amazing. the interior is amazing. its the best truck in its class for looks. its the small things i just can't get over (but have to and am willing to deal with it) such as those darn door hold-open mechanism. WHAT was RAM thinking??

..design a massive truck, all manly, decked out with manly things, bleeding testosterone, and then cut corners on door hold-open mechanisms that are sized for a Prius. Every single time someone new gets in my truck i have to warn them that the doors close ridiculously easy. and not only that, when they get out, i then have to warn them that the doors swing back at you ridiculously easy as well. go open your door with normal momentum and without babying it, and it'll swing either half way shut or fully shut.

is it petty? sure. but its my truck and i can say it and the door is used EVERY time you use the truck. so when i open the door i have to be extra careful that it doesn't bash the wall, or the return-cart basket at Home Depot, or another car. its so annoying.

Next... RAM itself. in one of my posts i asked if the air vent in the glovebox has a filter. I called RAM and found out it does not. i get leaves in my glove box constantly because of this. Im not doing that hack from online of cutting out the door and installing my own. so stupid.

Third... have the radio turn off when you start the freaking truck. yes the work around is to lower the volume but come on RAM.

Fourth... there is NO place for me to store my entire DVD collection of LOST in the CENTER console. it will NOT fit. go try it. it won't fit. who designs a truck without taking into consideration the LOST television series????

Talk me out of my complaints and ill change my mind.

Well, I can't answer any of the last complaints, but as far as the door hold openers - I came from a Nissan Titan, and they had the exact same problem. I can't tell you how many bruises I ended up with on my shins from reaching into the truck getting stuff and having the door slam into me from behind. It was maddening but nothing could be done about it - the detents in the holders weren't really big enough to hold the door in one spot properly. So far, my 2019 Ram is much better in this regard - but it's also brand new. I'll report on it in a year or two and see how it's doing.

I don't think it's a Ram thing, I think it's a manufacturer thing in general. They don't want to spend a lot of money on beefy hold-opens, especially when the only people that are ever going to notice are those who live in the mountains/hilly areas like me. If you're in the flatlands you'd never know the difference; when I was in Florida, I had no problem with the T's hold-opens. Only at home in the mountains was it bad.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not know how to advise you regarding the DVD thing. I also don’t know what mean by LOST. You see, as an old Marine I get misoriented at times but Never Lost so I will leave this to my Navy brethren to advise you further.

Your pickup issues are real. I believe you should donate the entire debacle to me for free. This way You can win by getting rid of your problem & I can continue with your suffering. I’m there for you man!

Semper Fi

Ha! As an ex-squid, even though I'm a newbie here, I'll have to say that we couldn't possibly be lost because we had to cart you guys around since you didn't have any ships of your own; I know it was tough being a junior department of the USN so we'll cut you some slack :D

Just busting balls. Not surprised to see some other ex-military guys in here :)

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
[

Next... RAM itself. in one of my posts i asked if the air vent in the glovebox has a filter. I called RAM and found out it does not. i get leaves in my glove box constantly because of this. Im not doing that hack from online of cutting out the door and installing my own. so stupid.

If leaves can get in so can rodents.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You still wouldn't see thru to the engine compartment. The input to the vent is just under the hood on top near where the wipers connect I'm pretty sure.

Ok. I guess I'm confused by the original two descriptions.

I inquired about the Cabin Air Filter installation on my two previous Ram 1500s. The kit instructions that were shown to me required cutting a specific size rectangular hole in the firewall. At the time I felt this was a little too extreme and none of the techs at my dealership had ever done one.

The new 5th gens have the filter in the air system box located just behind the lower glove box. From a picture I've seen it looks like there's a door that must be opened/removed in order to install/reinstall the cabin filter.

So now I'm re-reading this and maybe the subject vent is the far right dash vent? I know for a fact that this vent connects to the system air box and is ducted solid to the air box itself.

If "leaves" are getting into the air box they'd have to pass some mighty small openings, and I still can't see how they'd make their way to the lower or upper glove box!

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008323 miles.

UbuGray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Door complaint, yup valid. Park on level ground only and your issue will go away.

Filter issue, color yourself lucky that you don't need to roll down the windows to get that fresh, hot-hemi air in the cab. We should all be so lucky.

As for the DVD lack of space, I'll save you the aggravation. Leave the discs home, they are all dead.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When they say to cut they're referring to cutting a hole in the ductwork where the filter will slide in & the cover door included in the kit will go.