I hit the jackpot but need a little help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butterbean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I hit the jackpot today. I was using Armor All to shine the inside of my truck and noticed a chrome glint through the speaker grills. Decided to investigate a bit farther and took out the dash speaker grills and round I have infinity reference series 3 1/2 inch speakers in the dash which pretty much confirmed my suspicion that the door speakers were after market as well. Now to my problem. The dash speakers are 4 ohm and if I understand correctly by reading on here the factory dash speakers are 8 ohm. The bass is decent if I really crank the system up but the dash speakers are so overpowering its bad. I am new to the Rams but have heard talk of adding a resistor to the dash speakers to tone them down. Can someone give me more specifics on the resistor that I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

That would be the guide article on that. I will 100% say it is necessary with that speaker. I swapped in JBL GTO 329s (4 ohm) into mine and they were instantly overpowering and the only thing you would even hear when listening. It's a very easy mod to do and doesn't cost much at all

OP
OP
Butterbean

Butterbean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brads41789 Thank you so much for the link to that article. Parts are ordered and will be assembled as soon as they arrive. Looking forward to some new found audio quality once this is done. Hopefully I will actually be able to hear the door speakers!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Those were the go-to speakers everyone recommended for the longest time. I tried and tried and could never get them to sound as good as the stock speakers so I went back to those. I tried resistors, everything and could not get them to sound decent.

OP
OP
Butterbean

Butterbean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the resistors wired up yesterday and wow, it woke up this system. Great bass out of the doors and the dash speakers sound great as well. Super impressed with the sound of this system without an added amplifier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn