I need help! 5.7L engine tick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine sounds the same as in the OP’s video, although not quite as bad. Isn’t the time it takes to quite down something we can use to distinguish between manifold bolt(s) or lifter? Mine quiets down within a couple seconds, just like the OP’s video. I would think if it’s a manifold bolt(s) issue it would take longer for the manifold/gasket to heat up and expand before it would quiet down.

Is it reasonable to assume it’s lifter(s) if it quiets down in less than 2 or 3 seconds after start up?

Northern Amateur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get it well documented. I have a 2011 and the tick was there since new. This was followed by misfire codes (random cyl 8). Changed plugs, injector and coil. After 145000kms truck would go into safe mode on hard acceleration. Regular oil changes using synthetic oil. Just spent $12743 replacing the motor et al!!! Speaking with Chrysler however not holding my breath. Good luck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get it well documented. I have a 2011 and the tick was there since new. This was followed by misfire codes (random cyl 8). Changed plugs, injector and coil. After 145000kms truck would go into safe mode on hard acceleration. Regular oil changes using synthetic oil. Just spent $12743 replacing the motor et al!!! Speaking with Chrysler however not holding my breath. Good luck.

sorry to hear that ram brother, can you say what synthetic oil you used? where did you get the work done dealer? welcome to ram forum, we also have good info that may help keep that 6 speed running good for a long time.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi burla yes im a big skynyrd fan saw them 2 times last year and im going to Saratoga springs this Saturday night to see them again .this is my license plate SMPLMAN i have been following the forum and reading everything you have written about the hemi tick so i tried it and my tick went away instantly i will try to post it the synthetic oil as you said im just very busy im a auto tech and i sure will help out anybody i can like i said you were dead balls on i tried pennzoil ultra platinum and it made my tick worse and ive read the disbelievers about redline oil oh well there loss. You are the man thanks for steering me and many others in the right direction

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Mine sounds the same as in the OP’s video, although not quite as bad. Isn’t the time it takes to quite down something we can use to distinguish between manifold bolt(s) or lifter? Mine quiets down within a couple seconds, just like the OP’s video. I would think if it’s a manifold bolt(s) issue it would take longer for the manifold/gasket to heat up and expand before it would quiet down.

Is it reasonable to assume it’s lifter(s) if it quiets down in less than 2 or 3 seconds after start up?
Tug on the heat shields to see if they are loose.......that would be a sign of broken bolts/studs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi burla yes im a big skynyrd fan saw them 2 times last year and im going to Saratoga springs this Saturday night to see them again .this is my license plate SMPLMAN i have been following the forum and reading everything you have written about the hemi tick so i tried it and my tick went away instantly i will try to post it the synthetic oil as you said im just very busy im a auto tech and i sure will help out anybody i can like i said you were dead balls on i tried pennzoil ultra platinum and it made my tick worse and ive read the disbelievers about redline oil oh well there loss. You are the man thanks for steering me and many others in the right direction

Glad it helped. So this is likely sacrilege but who did simple man better Skynyrd or Shinedown? I usually am not big on remakes, but Shinedown nailed that song. Great song for sure, and skynyrd is a way better band, but Shinedown did that song good justice imo.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rpr, I thought the exact thing. I know those he is make power but the amount of hear they d have to generate per stroke to heat soak the metal to expand it in a couple seconds..... doesn't seem likely on that basis.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i dont know guys. skynyrd is a great band but brent smith is one hell of a singer. i say shinedown ftw. i am a little younger than some of you gents tho

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
hey I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and it makes this ticking sound when I start it after about 30 minutes of it sitting...

What could it be??

The dealership says the exhaust manifold studs are in good condition.....

I still have warranty but would like to guide the dealership in the right direction as my warranty runs out soon!

Link to video:
would like to hear more than 5 seconds-perhaps when she settles down to a warm idle-doh!

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
how can you guys make recommendations on that video?-5 seconds of start-up? And yes I like skynyrd too!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
how can you guys make recommendations on that video?-5 seconds of start-up? And yes I like skynyrd too!

the ticking at start up was quite evident. you couldnt hear it? shouldnt do that. another video of a hot idle would be useful as well.

switching to redline 5w30 got rid of my cold start idle tick and around 1400 miles into RL the motor calmed down a lot.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ticking went away instantly with redline . I tried pennzoil ultra platinum and it looked like i was pouring water into my engine and it made the ticking worse. I immediately took it out and put redline in and my hemi was very happy & quiet redline is the only oil I'll use from now on

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
hey I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and it makes this ticking sound when I start it after about 30 minutes of it sitting...

What could it be??

The dealership says the exhaust manifold studs are in good condition.....

I still have warranty but would like to guide the dealership in the right direction as my warranty runs out soon!

Link to video:
ya dealers say anything ! my feeling frist thing i did was replace a new good flow y pipe when I got my truck old school if it cant blow all out gasses over heating at manifold ! its know that the stud s are bad cant take the heat and look at them gaskets paper thin not good at all ! my has no problem amasoil I use for years now 57,000 on it for me this has gone on for years they just dont want to go the extra mile put high temp bolts on it better gaskets and a y pie like the ones on most all trucks and cars going by what I learn years ago old school class but hay no problems for me and it fixed a friends truck his leack all the time they wanted to weld it really dodge ! fix it right ! hope it helps !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
dont like there air filter set up on fender a plate is there that dirt and crap from road and tier can get sucked in ! I rebuilt my own valant air intake is connected to front bumper cooler air big filter on mine too !

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Just took mine into the dealer for a very similar sound on startup. Turned out to be passenger side manifold bolts and the work was covered under warranty.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's not like guys who suggest redline 5w30 and a RP filter are telling someone to change an engine part or something, it's just using a good oil that kills a lot of ticks. Many redline users didnt have the tick to begin with, like RLK the helicopter mechanic he just uses it because he always has and he believes there is nothing better. Oh yeah but it is also killing nearly every tick it meets.

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t changed the oil yet I bought it a few months ago. But I have Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 that I am going to be putting in it with a Mobil 1 oil filter.
85000km 2016.

Get redline 5/30 and a wix XP filter or royal purple filter... Don't use mobile1 it won't help

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its lifters mine does the same thing even with new lifters its normal dont skip oil changes and use redline