I need suggestions for an aftermarket radio!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to replace my stock radio in my 2012 ram 1500 Lonestar. The stock radio doesn't work with my rear view tailgate camera I got off Ebay and I heard rumors that I'll have to flash it at the dealer or buy a programmer to do that with the stock radio, so I'm wanting to replace my radio.

I want a Radio that is back up camera compatible, works with my steering wheel buttons, and fits fully into where my stock radio is. ( I don't want a smaller screen than what I have now ).

Please send in your suggestions, what equipment I'll need, and photos of y'alls radios!5b7bbaf0987e8736d73482d423d677e8.jpg

-----‐-----------------------------------------------------
Y'all can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I want to replace my stock radio in my 2012 ram 1500 Lonestar. The stock radio doesn't work with my rear view tailgate camera I got off Ebay and I heard rumors that I'll have to flash it at the dealer or buy a programmer to do that with the stock radio, so I'm wanting to replace my radio.

I want a Radio that is back up camera compatible, works with my steering wheel buttons, and fits fully into where my stock radio is. ( I don't want a smaller screen than what I have now ).

Please send in your suggestions, what equipment I'll need, and photos of y'alls radios!QUOTE]

What is your budget for a new head unit?
Do you have a brand preference?

A/V In/Out?

Lots of RCA inputs?

Apple Carplay?

Android Auto?

Navigation?

There are so many options available I am sure there is more than one that will fit your needs and budget.

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to pick the Kenwood DDX8706S.
Should just getting a bracket and maestro RR be fine or would I need more wiring?

I want to keep the stock steering wheel buttons [emoji16]

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I decided to pick the Kenwood DDX8706S.
Should just getting a bracket and maestro RR be fine or would I need more wiring?

I want to keep the stock steering wheel buttons [emoji16]

Nice choice on the head unit. Kenwood is my preferred brand. The Maestro RR will work. Make sure you get the correct cables with the kit.

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice choice on the head unit. Kenwood is my preferred brand. The Maestro RR will work. Make sure you get the correct cables with the kit.
Which cables do I need?

Hawk11nw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go through Crutchfield they can walk you through that with plug and play harnesses, etc. Or just do it yourself inputting your make and model and it would show you what is needed before purchasing.

Cbrooks45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for posting this. I have a 2012 Laramie and it has the integrated rear camera. My Uconnect gets stuck all the time when connected to my phone. I cant adjust the volume, change songs or even switch to the radio. It completely locks up. I want to change out my head unit as well withouth losing the back up camera and steeringwheel controls. I have the alpine system with the 8" sub woofer and I love the speakers actually. So want to keep those. Will the units you guys already suggested work for mine as well please?

U100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX in my 2016 Ram 1500 with the 8.4” screen. Wanted CarPlay, but didn’t want to pay the big $$ for a later model Uconnect. Plus, CarPlay on the Pioneer is wireless - no more cords! I used iDataLink Maestro RR with the CH03 harness; retains all factory steering controls (plus you can add a second function to each button on your steering wheel), and retains all climate controls. And you can have gauges onscreen too. Only problems were: 1.) no good aftermarket double din bezel for the 8.4” radio. I got the one by Scoshe, but you have to remove the knobs to install it and I was afraid I was going to destroy them - so I just mounted the Pioneer in the stock bezel and filled in the gaps around it. 2.) Pioneer uses the existing HD and Sirius connections (with adapters), but not the factory GPS - had to use the GPS antenna that came with the Pioneer. All in cost me half of what a new Uconnect would.

Cainsable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX in my 2016 Ram 1500 with the 8.4” screen. Wanted CarPlay, but didn’t want to pay the big $$ for a later model Uconnect. Plus, CarPlay on the Pioneer is wireless - no more cords! I used iDataLink Maestro RR with the CH03 harness; retains all factory steering controls (plus you can add a second function to each button on your steering wheel), and retains all climate controls. And you can have gauges onscreen too. Only problems were: 1.) no good aftermarket double din bezel for the 8.4” radio. I got the one by Scoshe, but you have to remove the knobs to install it and I was afraid I was going to destroy them - so I just mounted the Pioneer in the stock bezel and filled in the gaps around it. 2.) Pioneer uses the existing HD and Sirius connections (with adapters), but not the factory GPS - had to use the GPS antenna that came with the Pioneer. All in cost me half of what a new Uconnect would.

Do you have w pic of this. I would like to see how it looks in the stock bezel.

U100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, that brings up problem #3 - when I mounted it in the stock bezel, I did so with the screen flush with the edges of the opening - and now the screen won't flip down to access the DVD drive; etc. I'm going to get a universal double din mounting kit with wide borders on the top and bottom and see if I can get that to work in the stock bezel and still be able to access the DVD and SD slots. I'll post a pic after that experiment.