I really hate these tow mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
I have standard looking tow mirrors that the PO installed. They’re terrible. The blind spot mirror is not at all aligned to be useful when they’re folded down. They’re better when extended tho. The main mirror on the right side is worthless. It’s flat, thus making the field of view minuscule.

What I’ve found best is to ignore the main mirror and adjust them so I’m only using the blind spot mirrors. But I have to adjust them down when backing into a parking spot. They can’t be used for seeing the rear wheel and the road at the same time.

Are these just bad knockoffs?

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
The main thing I want is an adjustable convex mirror. It looks like a lot of them are affixed to the same frame as the main mirror. That results in a useless convex mirror.

These look nice. No readjusting like with the rotating mirrors.

It looks like Chrysler's flip-up style mirrors changed at some point. They swapped to a convex mirror that is full width of the housing instead of just a corner. This replacement glass makes it look like it's adjustable independently of the main mirror. I can't seem to find a full assembly listing that specifies that though.

Gary Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I got trail ridge from amazon and first one out of the box has a short in them. I did get a refund from them.

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
Last edited:

Rekdreation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
c i p a is a naughty word.
It was masked in your text, too. What's See Eye Pe e, Aye?

And why is the forum censoring it? :rolleyes::jnono:

I've seen a few things censored that never should be. Is this a rated G forum where there are probably literally NO kids?

Yikes!

That's a lot of paranoia.

:edit: Can't even say ***? P E E!!!

Gonna have to seriously find another adult-run Ram forum. This is beyond childish.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In some post (it could have been the one i linked above), many folks were raving about the **** (C i p a... is that a dirty word?) mirrors but were dissapointed that they were discontinued. Well I found them. I'm posting them in case anyone is looking for them.

Edit: be sure to replace **** with c i p a.

While these mirrors appear to be very functional, they do have an availability problem. :cool:

More specifically, the options on Napa only list '88-2006 and no Ram options.

mirrors fit only 3.jpg

My 07 Tundra Limited had electronic achromatic rear & side view mirrors that were more functional than anything I've seen to date.

Before I spend any $ on mirror upgrades, I'd like to find fully functional electronic achromatic type mirrors that function as well as my Tundra's mirrors. They were large for standard mirrors, smaller than tow mirrors though.

During my first 20+ hours of a road trip on big US highways, I felt like I was on the bridge of the Enterprise. :cool:

The view in the side mirrors had a slight purple hue but definitely suppressed the brightness factor for tired eyes.

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
While these mirrors appear to be very functional, they do have an availability problem. :cool:

More specifically, the options on Napa only list '88-2006 and no Ram options.

View attachment 499026

My 07 Tundra Limited had electronic achromatic rear & side view mirrors that functioned better than anything I've seen to date.

Before I spend any $ on mirror upgrades, I'd like to find fully functional electronic achromatic type mirrors that function as well as my Tundra's mirrors. They were large for standard mirrors, smaller than tow mirrors though.

During my first 20+ hours of a road trip on big US highways, I felt like I was on the bridge of the Enterprise. :cool:

The view in the side mirrors had a slight purple hue but definitely suppressed the brightness factor for tired eyes.
It’s under dodge.

What’s achromatic? Is that a tint? I’ve seen dimming mirrors that I’m not sure if I like.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s under dodge.

What’s achromatic? Is that a tint? I’ve seen dimming mirrors that I’m not sure if I like.

D'uh. I must have looked before waking up enough. :)

Achromatic was the term that Toyota used for auto-dimming. If you drive for any extended periods at night, I can't imagine not loving them.

They make night driving incredibly easier on your eyes and during any long haul, less eye stress translates directly to less energy wasted and being able to remain more alert for longer periods.

I've driven non-stop to North Florida many times (19-26 hours depending on the route) and there's zero question in my mind, that I would spend money to have that feature on my Ram.

YMMV :cool:

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins

Achromatic was the term that Toyota used for auto-dimming. If you drive for any extended periods at night, I can't imagine not loving them.

They make night driving incredibly easier on your eyes and during any long haul, less eye stress translates directly to less energy wasted and being able to remain more alert for longer periods.

I've driven non-stop to North Florida many times (19-26 hours depending on the route) and there's zero question in my mind, that I would spend money to have that feature on my Ram.

It's probably allot more important on tow mirrors that are pointed directly behind. On my wife's old camaro, the mirrors were pointed way off to the side, so headlights were only in view momentarily. And there was a quarter inch gap on the edges that wouldn't dim, so it was like a narrow band of eye burning lasers that kinda defeated the whole purpose.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's probably allot more important on tow mirrors that are pointed directly behind. On my wife's old camaro, the mirrors were pointed way off to the side, so headlights were only in view momentarily. And there was a quarter inch gap on the edges that wouldn't dim, so it was like a narrow band of eye burning lasers that kinda defeated the whole purpose.

I used to notice a huge difference when driving my buddy's F150 with non-dimming mirrors, it sucked.

I also used to tip his side mirrors with the electronic adjustment to reduce the eye scorching effect. :cool:

This reduces the functionality of side mirrors if you have to misdirect the position but it was much easier on the eyes.

I never had this problem when I was twenty-something.

The 1/4" of non-dimmed rim sounds very bogus. LOL

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
I got some stick-on, convex mirrors to put over the stock corner mirror. This makes it infinitely better. Just wish i could track down some glass ones.
mirror.png

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

WELL, My 19 truck has "Automatic" mirror dimming for the Inside mirror and drivers side view (which has a coated surface). I keep this option on at all times. Effectively cuts down on the glare. If I am driving at night in a Big City or Highly lit glare all over lights, I have a pair of "yellow" driving glasses I can throw on. I absolutely hate the glare you get in big interchanges and such when driving at night.

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
Old thread, but it’s mine so I can do that. I went ahead and got some 4th gen mirrors. I don’t like these either. The convex mirror is too narrow. Flipped down you have to choose to either see the back of the truck for backing, or see cars in the blind spot... heck the main mirror can see further to the side when the convex motor can see the back tire. Flipped up you have to choose between seeing the ground for backing or seeing traffic.

I got a stick on convex mirror to see the ground and aimed the main convex mirror to the blind spot. Hopefully that works out. I know this is kind of nit-picky, but if you’re going to design a mirror for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, why not make one that works?
IMG_1270.jpeg