I swear, I'm really trying to get a Ram, but......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zorin

Reaction score
As most of you know, I'm currently scouring everywhere from the Midwest to the South looking for a good deal on a Ram 1500 pickup.

The first lucky hopeful was a 2019 Laramie, with 21K miles, and everything you could get! Delmonico over silver two tone, 4x4, panoramic roof, 12" screen, it had it all. Asking price was $48K, which was higher than Willie Nelson, so I tried to negotiate with them on it, they came down to $45,900, still too high for it, and far away from my $40,000 offer. And they have had it since March! (They still have it, and I submitted it for a trade valuation - Vroom offered $27,800 for it. They'll have a good time in the auction lane!)

Thought I found one this morning at AutoNation in Fort Worth, TX. Brand new 2022 Lone Star, had everything I was after, with rebates and what have you, the listed price was $43,183 before taxes and fees.

I immediately called and started a dialogue to buy the truck, and asked for a emailed OTD quote, and was told they would have to have a manager approval do that. I asked why, and then they said the truck already had a $2076 accessory package installed, one item of which being some electronic tracking device......and I'm trying to buy new to get a truck that hasn't had it's wiring played with!

AutoNation would not come off the price a single dollar holding firm to "It's already on the truck", with me parrying with "But I didn't ASK for it." then they tell me nearly every dealer does this.

So I called my local CDJR dealer, and they proudly admitted they do it too, and don't disclose it on the website.

So, I swear, I'm hunting, but man are they making it hard!

Tim

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hold in there every thing I hear is the pendulum is swinging from Sellers market to a buyers market. I wouldn't rush to buy one right now. On new between Christmas and new years will be best discounts.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hearing the same thing. Best bet is to wait a few more weeks. I wonder if I jumped to early but then again CCLB's aren't too common around here so I grabbed mine while it was there and the used values were still high. I got it at a few hundred below MSRP.

Around here many dealerships didn't want to come off of that with the closest dealership to me still having a 10k market adjustment tacked on to the Rams. They had a 40k one added onto a Trackhawk. That was at the end of October.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I probably called 25 or so dealers before I bought my latest. What’s maddening is the internet has become nothing but a fountain of misinformation. Trucks advertised that are already sold, undisclosed markups, mandatory bogus fees…

I don’t believe it’s accidental, either. Dealers have figured out information is power, and they are getting rich off this created shortage. It feels like 1990, phoning all over the region to inquire. Manufacturers and dealer websites are nearly useless.

But there are some honest, square dealers in existence. But it took a lot of effort to find the intersection of a truck I wanted and a dealer who wasn’t trying to rip off their customers.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I wasn't looking for new, but used Ram 2500 for several months with 500 mile radius earlier this year. Used market plays the tracking device already installed game too at some dealers. I didn't go for it either. It's a scam tbh. Sounds like some sound advise to wait a little bit here. In the end I stuck to my guns with options I wanted and price and did find it eventually. Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll find it when it's meant to be found. :)

It can be frustrating at times though!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
As most of you know, I'm currently scouring everywhere from the Midwest to the South looking for a good deal on a Ram 1500 pickup.

The first lucky hopeful was a 2019 Laramie, with 21K miles, and everything you could get! Delmonico over silver two tone, 4x4, panoramic roof, 12" screen, it had it all. Asking price was $48K, which was higher than Willie Nelson, so I tried to negotiate with them on it, they came down to $45,900, still too high for it, and far away from my $40,000 offer. And they have had it since March! (They still have it, and I submitted it for a trade valuation - Vroom offered $27,800 for it. They'll have a good time in the auction lane!)

Thought I found one this morning at AutoNation in Fort Worth, TX. Brand new 2022 Lone Star, had everything I was after, with rebates and what have you, the listed price was $43,183 before taxes and fees.

I immediately called and started a dialogue to buy the truck, and asked for a emailed OTD quote, and was told they would have to have a manager approval do that. I asked why, and then they said the truck already had a $2076 accessory package installed, one item of which being some electronic tracking device......and I'm trying to buy new to get a truck that hasn't had it's wiring played with!

AutoNation would not come off the price a single dollar holding firm to "It's already on the truck", with me parrying with "But I didn't ASK for it." then they tell me nearly every dealer does this.

So I called my local CDJR dealer, and they proudly admitted they do it too, and don't disclose it on the website.

Tim
I have learned that the best day to buy any vehicle is the last day of the Month as they most likely have met all of the sales quota for the month so any sale after is gravy...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Why not order new from Granger at 5% under Invoice? They are in Iowa, so reasonably close. Laura Dodge in MO usually has some reasonable on the lot prices but does better on orders, as does Mark Dodge but they are down in LA so getting further away.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The HD’s are fewer and harder to negotiate than the 1500’s according to 2 friends that recently bought.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The HD’s are fewer and harder to negotiate than the 1500’s according to 2 friends that recently bought.

I found that to be the case. I think largely due to the disparity in order to delivery time new. If I wanted a 1500 I'd have ordered and waited. I got a good price, but I had to sift through a lot of dealerships and trucks until I did, and then drive about 3 hours to get it.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ This. I got about $1,500 off worth total ($600 + free delivery since I was out of state) so yea, it’s slim pickens for getting money off of a 2500.

OP
OP
Zorin

Zorin

Reaction score
The reason I refuse to order a new one is that I simply do not want an eTorque equipped truck. I just want a standard 5.7L Hemi, so I have been carefully hunting in stock trucks, and carefully hunting the used ones. I do have three trucks on the line today though, so we'll see where that gets me.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
The reason I refuse to order a new one is that I simply do not want an eTorque equipped truck. I just want a standard 5.7L Hemi, so I have been carefully hunting in stock trucks, and carefully hunting the used ones. I do have three trucks on the line today though, so we'll see where that gets me.
Stew Hansen Ram

43 Hemi's without eTorgue

1st one on the site, MSRP 59670, Price 50546

Ask for Jerry Bill, 2nd guy from the left, on this page

Furthest Left hand guy oversees all the stores in this area.
Quite a few, actually. Way the market is going, Buy up stores across the country, eliminate competition.
Jerry really is a good guy.
Will make all the money he possible can, when he can, but ain't going to waste a lot of time trying.
You'd bend over to pick up a $100 bill too but probably ain't going to run a marathon to get it.

Every dealership is going to make money, period. Some are just willing to make less and move on to the next guy.
Fast Nickle vs Slow Dime Logic.

Didn't even look at Granger Motors website, They are smaller dealer and usually have less on the lot vehicles.
probably why they will order new cars so cheaply.
Don't hurt the Floor Plan. Take the hold back and be happy.
Employees ain't that busy anyway.

Both are good outfits.
Never bought from Granger, only been in the store twice, in over 40 years, but good place.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel you. I wanted a specific set of options on a pre-covid era 2500 so I spent a lot of time and energy searching. I’m glad I found one finally even if the color wasn’t my first choice.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT

Tim
Moritz in FW does not do undisclosed dealer add ons. Call and ask for Coach.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Stew Hansen Ram

Quite a few, actually. Way the market is going, Buy up stores across the country, eliminate competition.
Will make all the money he possible can, when he can, but ain't going to waste a lot of time trying.
You'd bend over to pick up a $100 bill too but probably ain't going to run a marathon to get it.

Every dealership is going to make money, period. Some are just willing to make less and move on to the next guy.

Didn't even look at Granger Motors website, They are smaller dealer and usually have less on the lot vehicles.

Both are good outfits.
Never bought from Granger, only been in the store twice, in over 40 years, but good place.
Urbandale IA, I'll would have to look to see if my passport is still valid <JK> <- just had to do that to a fellow Iowan :dogpile:

OP
OP
Zorin

Zorin

Reaction score
Stew Hansen Ram

Both are good outfits.
Dude! Massive props for this!

However, the truck I am working on now isn't new, but......it's a '19 Laramie, and it has everything. ALL of it. We're trying to see eye to eye, but this is good to know in case I need to punt.

Tim

OP
OP
Zorin

Zorin

Reaction score
I feel you. I wanted a specific set of options on a pre-covid era 2500 so I spent a lot of time and energy searching. I’m glad I found one finally even if the color wasn’t my first choice.
That's kind of my downfall a little here....

I want specific items AND colors. I'm paying out the ass for it, so I might was well find what I want.

I did break it into boxes though. I have the "Accepted Spec", the "Preferred Spec" and then the "Dream Spec".
Accepted Spec = Crew Cab, Hemi, Console, 8.4" radio, 7.0" IP Screen.
Preferred Spec Adds = Trailer Brake Control, Heated/Cooled Seats, LED Lighting
Dream Spec Adds = 12.0" radio, pano roof, two tone paint, etc.

I'm actually working on a "Dream Spec" truck right now.

Tim

Reactions: JCE

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Nice spec's you have listed for what you're looking for. I did similar when looking for my 2500. Through great sites like this one and others I found some things I could add easily and others not worth the effort. I ended up with heated/cooled seats - glad I didn't budge on that one as putting in later is more than I would pay for. The only one you have listed that I would put an asterisk on is the trailer brake control. Might be different for 2019 and up, but for 2014-2018 the kits are readily available and not that hard to add into the dash - that one personally I would take it or leave it due to lower cost and relatively easy to install myself.

But I get it, if you're paying out the ass for it - then that should pay for it up front. :)

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was skeptical of the eTorque but purchased one in late June and really like it.No issues yet but its early with only 7,000 miles on the OD.Good luck on whatever you buy.

OP
OP
Zorin

Zorin

Reaction score
Nice spec's you have listed for what you're looking for. I did similar when looking for my 2500. Through great sites like this one and others I found some things I could add easily and others not worth the effort. I ended up with heated/cooled seats - glad I didn't budge on that one as putting in later is more than I would pay for. The only one you have listed that I would put an asterisk on is the trailer brake control. Might be different for 2019 and up, but for 2014-2018 the kits are readily available and not that hard to add into the dash - that one personally I would take it or leave it due to lower cost and relatively easy to install myself.

But I get it, if you're paying out the ass for it - then that should pay for it up front. :)
Oh yeah, I can get the trailer brake control for the '19 up, and flash it in, no sweat.
That list isn't exactly rigid, if you follow my drift......it's kind of a guideline.
The items I will not BUDGE on, have to have - that comprises the accepted spec. That's the baseline, if you will.
I make mental swaps as I go along.....like this truck may have NAV, but no trailer brake control. OK, we can do that. Found a Big Horn with heated seats, and LED's? OK, its cloth, we'll live without A/C seats....
I flex and bend as I scope out trucks, LOL!