I think I am done with Chrysler products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Sutter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I guess 3 vehicles, 26 times in the shop in 3 years is to be expected? The Lexus cost less then the challenger and about the same as the Durango. So figure the vehicles go in for work, order parts etc call it 2 days. So you think it's acceptable to without your vehicle for 2 weeks a year? You really are ok with that?

I didn't realize toyota tundras were premium luxury brand....maybe a better comparison is an isuzu
Why did they go in so many times? Operator error, accident? It’s a vehicle, things happen, and I was raised up on “ **** happens, deal with it”. Yes what he said was wrong, but by post did you get testy with him when he said it’s not covered? You can’t put the ram side by side with a Tundra, with recalls ram still be all around than a tundra. A putting it up to luxury cars?? Comon, taking one in for an oil change is around 300 bucks. I wouldn’t want to know a typical repair bill would be. Drink a beer and relax, tomorrow will be a better day

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you drive off road you should expect some type of damage. So many things can can and will damage your truck. Don't blame FCA for bad quality because you damaged your truck driving off road.

Rollin Shultz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel 24V
In my case I am quite conflicted. Chrysler/Dodge came up with a "fan"tastic looking design in the Ram, but the engineering design and production execution has been terrible for decades. I say that as a die-hard "Mopar Man", but also as an retired engineer.

I don't blame you for leaving the brand because how we spend our dollars is the only real power we have. Personally I and I suspect many others just accept the facts and have decided if we must be mechanics and home engineers to successfully own their trucks, then so be it.

I bought my 2001 2500 Cummins a couple of years ago after longing for a Dodge Ram for ever since they changed the look with the second gens. I hadn't done extensive product research as I normally do and had no clue about the many faults of the design and parts issues.

In essence "I did not know" I would have to become a back yard diesel mechanic to won this truck. I gave up racing and mechanicing 30+ years ago and was not happy to renew my skills so long ago forgotten. I have accepted it as necessary to own tis vehicle. I doubt I would purchase any newer models. None of the big three automakers are reliable and one only needs to watch any car or truck commercial to see that psychological manipulation is their bread and butter and not great product design and support.

Time will tell if bringing the production back to
America will improve the execution, but they really need better designers and engineers to revamp their products from the frame up.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with a couple people here that u should search for a better dealer. For every 5 ****** dealers you'll find a good one. Sucks but true.

Tonino
I found a new dealer that has a better service department. A well ran, customer centered service department can be more profitable than the sales department.

JKLines

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited
Engine
Cummins HO
In response to "one employee doesn't represent the company", that is not what I was told when I was in the military. We were told that how we conduct ourselves as representatives of our military branch that it reflects on the entire branch ... both on and off duty. It doesn't prevent bad apples, but a complaint should have resulted in some form of retribution. Perhaps that is part of the problem is the company's expectation of their employees. Also, the tolerance exhibited by other employees. I used to travel a lot and if I saw an obvious military member that was not representing properly, I would say something to them. I don't know why it is, but quite frequently I find I get better service at a better price by not taking my vehicle to the dealer.
It surprises me the times I have been into dealers and the salesperson doesn't even know the product or keep up with what is new. One time I was looking to buy a new minivan for my wife at a Dodge dealer and both of us loved to drive manual transmissions at the time. I asked if it was possible to get a minivan with a manual and in stead of giving a reasonable answer the salesman said "The engines today require an automatic because they have so much more power". I grew up in the sixties with muscle cars and hurst shifters from the factory. Chrysler was one of the companies that was big in this. Anyway, I pointed to the Viper sitting on the showroom floor with a manual transmission and walked out of the door. He could have simply said he has never seen one available, there is not enough demand, etc. ... but to say to much power in a minivan. This forum is full of questions from people looking to buy a new vehicle and they don't understand an option. SI don't understand it.
And I do put a fair amount of it on the company. When you design a vehicle that a customer can't add factory options to without adding a sales code to the computer to enable it ... or you design the vehicle where owners can't service it themselves without voiding a warranty, that simply isn't customer focused. Also, the company should have some influence over rates charged for services, etc. I recently had to have my truck towed into the dealer and paid over $700 for new key fob. My son's experience with his local Dodge dealer is that the service is terrible and he will pay twice as much as he would if he takes a day off to drive 50 miles to a different dealer.
So bottom line is the actions of every employee reflects on the company and the tolerance for that behavior by the company ... and other employees they work with. The actions of a dealership also reflects on the company as a whole. I agree that there are exceptions on both the good and bad scale ... but unfortunately it seems to be migrating the wrong direction. Hopefully this is something the company will take more responsibility to standardize pricing and promote/reward employees that care before it degrades too much more. Sorry for the rant. Guess I'm just tired of the excuses. To the employees, please don't take offense ... take it as perceptions from customers and then do what you can to understand and improve.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Why did they go in so many times? Operator error, accident? It’s a vehicle, things happen, and I was raised up on “ **** happens, deal with it”. Yes what he said was wrong, but by post did you get testy with him when he said it’s not covered? You can’t put the ram side by side with a Tundra, with recalls ram still be all around than a tundra. A putting it up to luxury cars?? Comon, taking one in for an oil change is around 300 bucks. I wouldn’t want to know a typical repair bill would be. Drink a beer and relax, tomorrow will be a better day

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Sorry, didn't have time to read 7 pages of comments on this but my 2013 Ram has had about half a dozen "recalls" and they're all pretty much superfluous. I don't need a minor software change to the seat belt tensioner in the case of a rollover, don't want the transmission to lock up if I happen to open the door to see what I'm backing up to, and really don't have time for the other nit-noid tweaks. Sometimes some common sense and risk-vs-reward consideration is needed before spending days at the dealer or inconveniencing others (like my spouse) arranging drop-off and pick-up.

alschief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Made a trip to the dealer today. Have an inner fender liner that has torn at the bolts and power wagon decal is flaking off. They told me both of these were my fault....no other runs or scraps with the fender liner. I'll attach pics..
The dealer told me the truck was not ment to be taken on "the north 40"....

Been a dodge guy for a long time, just traded my 18 Durango and 18 challenger srt for a set of lexus nx 300s....between the 3 vehicles they have been in for recalls or warranty repair 26 times....the truck is a 17.

I guess I'll be looking to replace the power wagon due to quality issues.

I would of been ok the dealer said no we wont replace it...but dont tell me it wasn't made for off road and the flex...

Considering another tundra but will put lockers in it this time....just disappointed

View attachment 195073

View attachment 195074

View attachment 195075
I too am disappointed. Whil under warranty took the truck in to a local dealer to fix a couple of items including the steering recall. They said steering temporary fix done and could not duplicated cruise intermittently engaging.
Took to another dealer they with out question repaired the cruise said known issue. They reported the steering fix had not been applied. This was a real safety issue.
Took back for Def pump failure resolved.
Then had several codes displayed returned they found right rear wheel sensor wire sheared loose at sensor. Refused warranty said I used it off road or a squirrel chewed it. I do not off road.
Had to pay over $200 for part and labor.

RAMMED129

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I feel your pain Meister been a long time Ram owner and FCA owner (probably over 10 cars/trucks) and found out the hard way with my lemon 2018 ecodiesel that they don't care about the customer no matter who you are at all. Sure they have plenty of Kate's working for them my customer care agent was awesome. Just one problem you never get higher than that level no matter how much you demand. Bad customer service from dealer to FCA. Loved all my vehicles til this Friday afternoon special and unfortunately as i read through this stream noticed so many are ok with bad vehicles and customer service. Believe me i have had some good experiences with my other Dodges but call a lemon a lemon and move on to keep a good customer coming back. They didn't in my case still waiting for the lemon law to work it's way through and an open recall with no parts avalaible til April ( what a joke). I hope you get better service with your next brand.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had 2005,2010, 2014, as well as older ones, never any trouble with any of then, other then the odd recall, The inner fender liners are made for city people, I think, The mud flaps are a bit heavy for them, when you get a lot of ice and snow on them, I have to add a bit of backing to them in the past.
I don't run around off road with them.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Kate previous issues have been completed at the dealer. I have lost trust and faith in the FCA brand and service at this dealership. Repairs appear to be shoddy at best. Then telling me a truck isnt supposed to flex amd that's my problem....its ok I wont spend the money on any more FCA brands. In fact I wont be utilizing them again for service.

Although we regret to hear these sentiments, we do understand, Meister. Should you have any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Kate
RamCares

cop4hire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
In my case I am quite conflicted. Chrysler/Dodge came up with a "fan"tastic looking design in the Ram, but the engineering design and production execution has been terrible for decades. I say that as a die-hard "Mopar Man", but also as an retired engineer.

I don't blame you for leaving the brand because how we spend our dollars is the only real power we have. Personally I and I suspect many others just accept the facts and have decided if we must be mechanics and home engineers to successfully own their trucks, then so be it.

I bought my 2001 2500 Cummins a couple of years ago after longing for a Dodge Ram for ever since they changed the look with the second gens. I hadn't done extensive product research as I normally do and had no clue about the many faults of the design and parts issues.

In essence "I did not know" I would have to become a back yard diesel mechanic to won this truck. I gave up racing and mechanicing 30+ years ago and was not happy to renew my skills so long ago forgotten. I have accepted it as necessary to own tis vehicle. I doubt I would purchase any newer models. None of the big three automakers are reliable and one only needs to watch any car or truck commercial to see that psychological manipulation is their bread and butter and not great product design and support.

Time will tell if bringing the production back to
America will improve the execution, but they really need better designers and engineers to revamp their products from the frame up.
I laugh every time the Chevy commercial comes on and they brag about their very cool tail gate. LOL The tail gate? It goes with your comment above about psychological manipulation. If you are buying a truck because of the cool tail gate you are in big trouble and should maybe stick to VW's.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I agree that many of the items we deal with are BS. My truck has it's list of issue's that annoy me as well. Some of them are same ones your are mentioning. My trucks paid off so I'm not as hot to trot to dump it but when the time comes I'm not too sure I'll go FCA. As for dealership experiences, I have some horror stories of my own and have been totally let down by my local dealership.

Sure am curious about the new Tundra thats' coming........

Hey, Halligan. Are you experiencing current concerns our team can assist with? If so, please feel free to send us a private message with more details.

Kate
RamCares

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I sure sympathize with you about dealing with a dealer !! Since I worked at a small mountain town Chrysler dealer from '61 to '64 I have been quite partial to the product.
Then I moved to LA ! Big Chevy dealer while a good friend worked at Ford. We commiserated many a weekend while at race tracks or antique car shows and cursed the dealers we worked for !
The local Dodge dealer where I am now has pissed me off at least a hundred times but it's like a testy marriage, we fight, fume and go on putting up with each other. Ha !
Have a great week !

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Oil change is $80 lol

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My issue is the amount of times these vehicles go into the repair shop. I am frustrated with the dealer. The dealer hires these folks to represent their organization. Car sales and service is a service industry. Poir service equates to poor outcomes.
Unfortunately this does represent the brand. Poor outcomes and low quality control leads to many issues and repairs.

I do enjoy the capability and functions of the truck. Hell I like the truck. My issue is the quality of the truck. I have had a new oil pump, new trans, new ac motor, new window motor plus recalls. Makes it tough to continue to like it....only 23k on the clock.

If I broke it I get it, but spending that much money on a vehicle to be treated poorly for service. Makes it a no go in my book. Just my 2 cents I guess. Yep I'm steamed right now. I will be looking at other trucks as I dont know about the reliability of this one.

Find a GOOD Competent Mechanic! Keep him like you'd keep a GOOD Family Doctor! Find him BEFORE you need his services. Go out and research and interview shops and check out RELIABLE sources for their proficiency, not YELP or Nextdoor! Contact the BBB and your local AG's office to see if they have pissed off customers and eliminate those which do! AAA has a great reference program and the vet out the shops doing most of the leg work for you. The ASA is another place to find a new service facility.

Do NOT EVER accept being invalidated by ANYONE in a service business! They should always treat you like you matter like no other! You ARE paying for their living, after all!

The product is very unlikely the issue.... Dealers can't get GOOD technicians and keep them because they pay poorly.