I think I need a tuner for my 2021 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1jimalexander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I just purchased a 2021 2500 Longhorn Limited with the 6.7 Cummins.
This truck seems more sluggish than my 2014 2500 Ram Laramie.
Friends have suggested programming it.
I'm having trouble finding reviews of Tuners for 2021 engines.
Can someone guide me in the right direction?
Thanks, Jim

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
A Pedal Commander will help a lot

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you really feel the need to tune it I would suggest checking out calibrated power (duramaxtuner.com) they provide emissions compliant tuning. Just be aware you are throwing away you warranty so as long as you are comfortable with that proceed at your own risk.

The EPA has cracked down on a lot of the diesel tuners so your choices are very limited.

I cannot believe you feel you 2014 is more responsive then your 21 (unless it was tuned). Every one I know says the opposite about the newer trucks?

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If you really feel the need to tune it I would suggest checking out calibrated power (duramaxtuner.com) they provide emissions compliant tuning. Just be aware you are throwing away you warranty so as long as you are comfortable with that proceed at your own risk.

The EPA has cracked down on a lot of the diesel tuners so you choices are very limited.

I cannot believe you feel you 2014 is more responsive then your 21 (unless it was tuned). Every one I know says the opposite about the newer trucks?

I agree, my 2021 is much more responsive than my 2011, 2013 and 2016 were.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Put a Banks Pedal Monster on it, takes away all of the pedal lag which is probably what you feel.

OP
OP

1jimalexander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Thanks for the responses. I definitely don't want to void the warranty. I will look into Pedal Commander. The lag is what I'm noticing.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Has anyone here installed a Banks or other pedal enhancing device on a 6.7?
And does it increase smileage?

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone here installed a Banks or other pedal enhancing device on a 6.7?
And does it increase smileage?
I run a Pedal Commander and love it! No, it does not increase the economy

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a pedal commander on mine (they all do the same thing), and yes it makes it feel a little more responsive but it's no tuner so no increase in HP, Tq, or mpg. Maybe a little increase in smpg though.
I think it really depends on your driving style though, Some people don't like them. I drive with a light foot and like the way it made it a little more responsive. Someone that drives with a heavy foot might not like it or see as much difference?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a pedal commander on mine (they all do the same thing), and yes it makes it feel a little more responsive but it's no tuner so no increase in HP, Tq, or mpg. Maybe a little increase in smpg though.
I think it really depends on your driving style though, Some people don't like them. I drive with a light foot and like the way it made it a little more responsive. Someone that drives with a heavy foot might not like it or see as much difference?

Thank you. That's good intel.

OP
OP

1jimalexander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Ok then...I've got the Pedal Commander for my 2021 Ram Longhorn 6.7L. Tried to install it but I can't see how to disconnect the original connector from the accelerator. Can someone give me the location of the locking tab for this connector?
Thanks, Jim

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Ok then...I've got the Pedal Commander for my 2021 Ram Longhorn 6.7L. Tried to install it but I can't see how to disconnect the original connector from the accelerator. Can someone give me the location of the locking tab for this connector?
Thanks, Jim
It’s a small slide tab directly on the side of the pigtail connector that plugs directly on top of the accelerator pedal. It only slides a few mm’s. Slide it up, and the connector pops right off. It’s a 30 second install

OP
OP

1jimalexander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Thank you Firebird for the info. I'm assuming the tab is on the side I can see. I'll give it a try.

OP
OP

1jimalexander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Got it! The tab is hidden on the brake side but based on where the PC tab was I figured it must be back there and fooled around with a screwdriver feeling for indentations and got it.
Tested it and it seems to make a difference. However, one thing I was hoping for was that cruise control would keep up on hills but it still looses 1 or 2 mph anything greater than a 5% grade.
What mode would be recommended for hilly 65 mph highway.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I run mine on Sport, then I adjust it + or - some depending on terrain

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had one on my 2016 cummins, I noticed it would downshift more on hills with it than it did without...assuming it is thinking you are stepping on the pedal harder, so it will downshift. I've also noticed that my 2012 and 2016 will lose more speed on hills while my 99 and 2005 never dropped speed at all. Can't comment on newer ones than 2016 since I am now in a 2019 hemi, but it's amazing that they seemed programmed better for cruise 20 years ago than they have been recently.