I think Ram needs an SUV...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With Ram clearly entering the luxury market, I think it's time for a Ram SUV based on the 5th gen Limited truck line. I believe they could compete with BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc. However, they would have to compete with that same level of quality, not just the esthetics.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A Durango that is all grown up!!!!
As I said in my profile intro, my first MOPAR was an 84 Ramcharger, freaking beast. Not sure if I could go for another SUV/Ramchager.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
When the jeep fullsize hits (Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer) I do believe you will see the RAM SUV, which is what that render is from.

Shouldn't be too much longer

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
With Ram clearly entering the luxury market, I think it's time for a Ram SUV based on the 5th gen Limited truck line. I believe they could compete with BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc. However, they would have to compete with that same level of quality, not just the esthetics.
Ram's SUV lineup is called a Jeep. My wife has a Jeep Trailhawk

Black 20 Ram

OP
OP
BNeal

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram's SUV lineup is called a Jeep. My wife has a Jeep Trailhawk

Black 20 Ram

Ok, let's read the original post: "I think it's time for a Ram SUV based on the 5th gen Limited truck line". Not a Jeep, a Ram branded luxury SUV.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I would prefer a different front than the 1500's, not because I like or dislike them, but because I feel like it needs it's own identity. I'm interested to see what the Grand Wagoneer / Wagoneer are going to look like. The Ford suv's and Chevy suv's seem to have merged their 1/2 ton fascia's into the full size suv's and I think I appreciated them having their own styling, especially when the 1/2 ton looks can be polarizing.

I certainly think Ram has the goods to compete in a full size luxury suv market, which the Durango really does not do, and the Grand Cherokee is too small to accomplish. I'd just like them to take the successes of the Ram lineup and give a true full-size suv it's own personality.

OP
OP
BNeal

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would prefer a different front than the 1500's, not because I like or dislike them, but because I feel like it needs it's own identity. I'm interested to see what the Grand Wagoneer / Wagoneer are going to look like. The Ford suv's and Chevy suv's seem to have merged their 1/2 ton fascia's into the full size suv's and I think I appreciated them having their own styling, especially when the 1/2 ton looks can be polarizing.

I certainly think Ram has the goods to compete in a full size luxury suv market, which the Durango really does not do, and the Grand Cherokee is too small to accomplish. I'd just like them to take the successes of the Ram lineup and give a true full-size suv it's own personality.

Amen!

OP
OP
BNeal

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They should still just focus on trying to make a competent truck first.

Yea, that is kind of my fear. They totally nailed the look, now they just need to get the quality/reliability thing down.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It would be really tempting if Ram produced something the same size and configuration as the Suburban

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The SUV has become the mini van for people who want to look cool, like the grandmas with their Hummers at the supermarket. They all have 8 or 9 passenger seating provided by 3 rows of seats and as a result the available cargo space is less than with a Subaru Outback station wagon.

Two doors is also a terrible approach and I remember when the Chevy Tahoe was available with either two or four doors. Climbing into the backseat with the two-door Tahoe was a climb and required a good deal of contortion. Small wonder that fewer than 10% of the Tahoes were sold the two door version.

Look at pickups that went from a super cab to a crew cab even at the expense of the size of the bed which has been shrunk to were it is nearly worthless except for transporting a dog or two.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reports of the next Durango going on the Ram 1500 frame have been out the last several years. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that news coming after the big Jeep hits the market.

Agreed on would be nice to see a new RAM Charger (Bronco will re-light a lot of that market big time). And a "RAMBurban" has been overdue for years IMO. But...Ford Expedition is a good example of how much it takes to push into the Suburban owned space. I think RAM could make some headway especially with unseating the Silverado this past year.

Of course all this relies on gas prices behaving!

Last thing: Keep working on that RAM dependability priority...
AMEN! That's the real momentum.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't mind a fullsize SUV with a Ramhead on it. I like the concept of the Grand Cherokee / Durango, but for my 6'4 long torso having self, they're just uncomfortably small.

I totally understand that there is very little practical marker for a 2 door full size SUV since the vast majority of the US population are breeders, but dang it would be cool!