I think Ram needs an SUV...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluegill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With Ram clearly entering the luxury market, I think it's time for a Ram SUV based on the 5th gen Limited truck line. I believe they could compete with BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc. However, they would have to compete with that same level of quality, not just the esthetics.
I agree, it’s possible but my issue would be quality. My Durango is great as far as size, comfort, towing etc....
Where it’s lacking is quality components. I’ve had headlites go out twice, turn signal bulbs, radio knob, seat stitching, various modules (expensive) under the hood, trim pieces fall off. Overall my impression is that they use poor quality parts. That’s a shame because the cost differance between a durable radio knob -vs- a cheapy knob can’t be that much.
I’m finding out the same issues with my 2500 truck, my horn stopped working, the passenger side window control stopped working, on and on and on. It’s little stuff like that , that is aggravating. I’ll pay and extra $2 for a good knob that isn’t going to break, I’ll pay an extra $2 for a window control that’s not going to break. the horn? Seriously ? No excuse for that .
After having Toyota’s and Honda’s for 30+ years I went with the Durango and 2500 for towing reasons (boat and travel trailer). Going from zero issues to these constant aggravations is dissapointing. what is sad is that these issues are accross the board from the big three domestic auto/truck makers.
It wouldn’t take much to move from “unreliable“ to “very reliable“.
But that’s a call those companies have to make. In the mean time I’ll switch back to Honda/Toyota when my towing days are over.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would only be interested in that if it were available in 3/4 ton diesel. I owned a 3/4 ton Yukon XL Quadrasteer from new in 2004 to just a couple of months ago. Awesome truck that served us well. I'd still be driving it if it had a diesel in it. You can't get a 3/4 ton Suburban anymore, let alone QS. I jumped on a brand new 2003 Excursion with the then new 6.0 PoSD, thinking I'd finally bought "the vehicle". But it got lemon lawed because of the motor. I'm in a Mega cab 2500 now, and I miss the interior space of a large SUV. But I needed the pulling power, and gasser's just don't have enough of it.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ford killed off the Excursion years ago. Would be nice to see RAM offer a 3/4 ton SUV. Add a diesel option too! Go to any RV show and trailers have gradually gotten heavier over the years. Would be nice to have a SUV while towing a big camper again.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
OK, They manufacture the Durango, I have owned 7 of them. It can be had in many trim levels and currently 3 power options.(Not counting the coming Hellcat version) Towing is limited of course, but if your going to tow big (and safe) use your RAM truck. I see stupid people all the time towing with vehicles that are way under rated for what they are towing. Just my 2 cents but the Durango fits all the Sport Utility needs with all the features one could want just the way it is.

SATCOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I like the idea BNeal suggested. I had a 2WD Ramcharger for years and it was a big truck with a huge cap and only two doors. Key for room was back seat folding forward. Next came my 2009 Ram 1500 that was 100% fault free until I wrecked it in late 2018. I tried on a 2019 Durango and liked everything except the size, as it was so much smaller than my old Ramcharger or my RAM 1500. So purchased a new 2019 RAM 1500 which inspite of shirt knob is the most enjoyable vehicle I’ve ever owned. And I would trade it in on a SUV that was like BNeal’s reference, in a heart beat. But only if it had a thrid seat delete. No need for hard to get to third seat. It would be a great 4 door Ramcharger with most of the benifits of a crew cab 1500.

Last edited:

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With Ram clearly entering the luxury market, I think it's time for a Ram SUV based on the 5th gen Limited truck line. I believe they could compete with BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc. However, they would have to compete with that same level of quality, not just the esthetics.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the idea BNeal suggested. I had a 2WD Ramcharger for years and it was a big truck with a huge cap and only two doors. Key for room was back seat folding forward. Next came my 2009 Ram 1500 that was 100% fault free until I wrecked it in late 2018. I tried on a 2019 Durango and liked everything except the size, as it was so much smaller than my old Ramcharger or my RAM 1500. So purchased a new 2019 RAM 1500 which inspite of shirt knob is the most enjoyable vehicle I’ve ever owned. And I would trade it in on a SUV that was like BNeal’s reference, in a heart beat. But only if it had a thrid seat delete. No need for hard to get to third seat. It would be a great 4 door Ramcharger with most of the benifits of a crew cab 1500.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I couldn't agree with you more. I had an 87 Ramcharger that we went throughout the country with and had a blast. A Ram SUV would sell, there are many people looking for that type of vehicle.

beeblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup but in my opinion Ram should just proceed with the off-road branding they have instead of venturing out to sedan or suv cars.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Hehehe
I learned to drive a standard tranny on a Plymouth Trailduster with 3 (or4?) on the tree. That thing would go anywhere and it had a big backseat.:flamingdevil:

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hehehe
I learned to drive a standard tranny on a Plymouth Trailduster with 3 on the tree. That thing would go anywhere and it had a big backseat.:flamingdevil:
Trailduster. My favorite Mopar I have ever owned.

Funny you say it had a big back seat. It fit between the wheel wells. So compared to today's crew cab REBEL...it is tiny. Lol

I wish i had never sold mine. I loved takimg the top off and cruising down the road or through the woods.

The prices on them now are insane. But I sure hope to own another.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've owned 2 Ramchargers and a Trailduster.
They were badass!
My '90 5.9L was my favorite drift buster in the winter...
I think they should build a new Ramcharger off the Power Wagon...
That would be a beast and probably my next truck...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently sold my Aspen with 205K on it, Also had a 2007 Durango NightRunner with 30K, it was a very rare limited production vehicle, sold both!

IMG_20160319_191927231.jpg

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Unfortunately, with the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer coming soon, which at least one (if not both) supposedly based at least partly on a Ram 1500 frame, they probably wouldn't want to compete with themselves too much by introducing a Ram SUV. One or both are also targeting the luxury market.

Ram and Jeep are the two most profitable arms of FCA (now changing to Stellantis after that last merger in France) in the USA, I don't think they want to have them fighting too much anymore.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
They claim that's why it took so long to get the Gladiator into production also.
Too much competition for the Rams, but after they killed the Dakota I think the slot was open for a Jeep based midsize ten years ago.
Since Ram doesn't have a truck-based SUV of it's own I think it would sell.
Heck it could be a limited production run like the Demon and they'd sell every one they build...