I want everyone to go out under the passenger seat and try to take out your jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jljbtm

Reaction score
See if you can loosen the wing nut to remove the jack. In my case the tip of the Wingnut was severely rusted as it sticks through the floor under your truck. Luckily for me I was at home when I decided to try this on my 2011 Laramie. Even after cleaning the threads of the wing nut from under the truck with a wire brush and soaking the threads with penetrating oil it still took a pair of channel locks to remove it. If I got a flat on the highway I would not be able to change the tire and would have called the hook. When I finally got it out I cleaned the threads with a 6mm tap and die greased it all up and put it back together, and hopefully I will never need to use it.468424c24d2c034747b8924bcfb86ee4.jpg2703fa08b718c2b7ec50fef1e1cec655.jpg749d803bb04e041c318251b33bdcf465.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve removed mine just for the hell of it. Figured I wanted to be sure it all was there and worked before I ever ended up in a need situation. Just awful to remove that bolt and it was not rusted. First time I did this the truck only had 15,000kms on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yep. It's pretty horrible. I had a flat a few weeks ago and if I wouldn't have had a pair of channel locks in my toolbox I never would have gotten it out. It is a pretty poor design.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My jack and tools have already been taken out and used twice and my 2017 Laramie only has 13K miles on it. After that 2nd flat I went and bought a plastic box and put an electric air pump, an aluminum 1.5 ton floor jack, a serious tire patch kit, the factory jack and tire tools and various other ******** in it. You are absolutely right though it was a PITA to get out and I can only imagine how bad it would be after several years and in rust belt area. It kind of makes me want to buy some 10 ply tires sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
Right!, the fix might be to run a 6 mm bolt up from underneath and put a Wingnut on top. Or just coat the existing one with never seize and then slip on a vacuum hose over the exposed threads? There are probably a half a dozen ways to make it better the important thing is to make it accessible when you need it.

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
Yes I did try to lower the tire and it did come down. That was my intent but I couldn't get the Jack out of under the seat so that little screw really screwed up everything

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm surprised you don't keep a few tools in the truck. If nothing else, slip lock/ channel lock pliers to remove your antenna if you have to go to the car wash, and a set of jumpers.

I have a full bug-out bag, but a few tools are like a security blanket.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I took my out yesterday when I was putting in the center console, I had to use use a tool to get it out. My truck is only 3 months old!!

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Holy ****.... this is worthless. Anyone know a way to patch the hole... **** this design.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am using clamps to inch this thing out

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Every self-respecting truck owner should have some sort of a Leatherman Multi-tool in the glove box at a minimum ... That being said, I just went out and hit the wingnut with WD-4042bf583a8b3eef1a1d26e1fe50de14f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm surprised you don't keep a few tools in the truck. If nothing else, slip lock/ channel lock pliers to remove your antenna if you have to go to the car wash, and a set of jumpers.

I have a full bug-out bag, but a few tools are like a security blanket.

Channel Locks, Screw Drivers, Pliers, Safety Glasses, Gloves, Blanket flashlight and Jumpers.
If I leave out of town: Water and a socket set.