I want everyone to go out under the passenger seat and try to take out your jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had to lower my spare tire to install a hitch today. This was the first thread I thought of after removing the trim piece to get to the jack. Luckily, there was no corrosion on either the jack hold down bolt or the spare tire cable/lowering mechanism.

ghostinthesnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it just so happens that I was at the dealer this morning for ye old yearly "New York State Enhanced Emissions/Safety Inspection" so I wandered over to the parts dept to have a talk with them on the subject. Turns out the parts are pretty cheap so I had them order me a set. They should be here on Tuesday.

Stud - 6508288AA - $2.25
Nut - 6512623AA - $5.00

-K
I was trying to remove my Jack and what looked like a nut welded to the underside rusted off is this needed to update the parts and if so how would you recommend fixing this?

ghostinthesnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was trying to remove my Jack and what looked like a nut welded to the underside rusted off is this needed to update the parts and if so how would you recommend fixing this?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I never use the factory jack. I carry a hydraulic bottle jack instead. Far more reliable and way easier to use.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a Trolley Jack, a 4 way speed wrench & hopefully the special lug nut socket

I only looked up at the spare one time, it was down to about 18 psi & i had Discount Tire inflate it, their store is about 9 blocks in towards town

Last edited:

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So thats where the jack is. Hmmm I had no idea.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Took mine out a few years ago and never put it back in
I carry an aluminum hydraulic floor jack instead

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I took the wing screw that holds the jack out of my Ram's and coat the threads with anti-seize. I don't anticipate any issues if I ever need to use it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What I did is removed the bolt, coated it in a mixture of salt and loctite red. Now I'll always know the jack is there as so often they go missing. The most important part of this method is a aaa card.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Wife and I have been AAA members for quite a long time.

Had to call for assistance a few moths ago, and was told 3 hours to get someone there, they supposedly had to send someone from 2 hours away, because there was nobody in this area to do it (SWFL-Fort Myers/Cape Coral)

We no longer have AAA, nor do my in-laws, who have had AAA for 40-50 years.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

If the nut is still on the bolt, just rusted off the floor plate, you can either cut it off or try clamping a set of vice grips to it and seeing if you can spin it off that way. The bolt usually siezes in the nut on most trucks, I've not seen the nut come off before.

-K