IBS question on running 12V directly from battery.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never had IBS on a battery post before. Does this affect running power directly off the battery? I want to run 12V power into the cab using a 10g fused harness (ARB fridge harness) on my prior vehicles I just used the battery post ground does the IBS come in to play if I do this? thanks.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I know this isnt for out trucks. But i found a article on a BMW website talking about IBS. and the very first "DO NOT" on the list was: "Do not make any additional connections at the negative terminal of the battery".

But i find this weird. How are you supposed to jump your battery?

I didnt even know about this, and hook my air compressor directly to the battery when i need to air up my tires. Never had an issue....

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this isnt for out trucks. But i found a article on a BMW website talking about IBS. and the very first "DO NOT" on the list was: "Do not make any additional connections at the negative terminal of the battery".

I didnt even know about this, and hook my air compressor directly to the battery when i need to air up my tires. Never had an issue....
yea seems strange. I know for jumping a battery I usually use a body ground but for running 12V power I like direct to the battery. Others must be running power into the cabin directly from the battery.. I run my compressor the same way I use alligator clips directly off the battery same as you.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yeah i dont fully understand this. Even if you have a separate power bank somewhere... It still needs to connect to the battery lol.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Following. IBS is a new term for me. I have an attorney winch on a huge A frame for pulling engines and such other lifting work. I have it set up so I can use my truck for the power to it.
I was curious as why sometimes it would stop lifting and others it pulled just fine. No there's nothing wrong with the winch system. Its hooked up just like it would be on any other vehicle. Just operating with a jumper cable end for power.

Black 20 Ram

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

To explain, you don't ground anything directly to the battery ground terminal if a vehicle utilizes IBS. You need to make the connection to the chassis or the ground connection on the IBS itself, you want the current of the connected loads to go through the IBS.
Jump stating another vehicle is a temporary connection and doesn't matter for the "long term" charging control of the IBS

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To explain, you don't ground anything directly to the battery ground terminal if a vehicle utilizes IBS. You need to make the connection to the chassis or the ground connection on the IBS itself, you want the current of the connected loads to go through the IBS.
Jump stating another vehicle is a temporary connection and doesn't matter for the "long term" charging control of the IBS
so are you saying to add 12V power line to run into the cabin I hook the ground to the stud on the IBS? thanks

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

Good info here. Thanks. So what about running the. Compressor for airing up the tires? It can take me like 30-40 minutes to do all 4 in some situations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so are you saying to add 12V power line to run into the cabin I hook the ground to the stud on the IBS? thanks
That's where I would hook it up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So what about running the. Compressor for airing up the tires? It can take me like 30-40 minutes to do all 4 in some situations.
In the grand scheme of things, if the air compressor is a portable unit, it's just a short term connection. If it was an built in on board air system then it would go to the IBS terminal

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Proper boosting is done off an engine/chassis ground as well.