Ice in Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back when we had the extreme cold, after the third day below -20, on my way home from work my truck (with 800 miles on the odometer) threw the following lights "Service Electronic Throttle Control" with the lightening bolt graphic. Engine went into limp mode and would not go better than 20 mph. I stopped, shut down and waited a short bit (it was -22 so I wasn't going to wait long) and restarted. no change. fortunately, I live real close and made it home. called dealer who said bring it right in. I restarted...no lights/drove normal. got to dealer, they gave me loaner ('19 F150 4x4 - hated it and this from a former die hard blue oval man) and the next day called me up to say it was done.

end result (sorry for the novel) it was ice in the throttle body. service tech asked about my driving habits and I had to admit the vast majority of my driving is short - one mile to work and one mile home. he recommended getting it out and driving it once in a while to let it warm up completely.

Anyone else have an issue like this?
By the way, I have been taking it out on weekends for longer jaunts and I have had no issues since.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe consider a catch can as well, maybe high octane gas, but I don't know what you can do about this other then heater blanket at night? h395 and U&A are doing a lot with blankets in cold places, might want to shoot them a PM, they have found some interesting things. Have you checked air filter?

OP
OP
GrumpyOleMan

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked air filter?
actually yes, another thread talked about vacuum (dirty/clogged Air Filter) causing icing up. but mine was clean as a whistle (brand new truck).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can put something restrictive in front of front grill while it is cold as well, if the problem is worse when driving then when you just start the truck. Just drive with evic set to watch oil and coolant temps make sure they don't climb. I wonder if the issue is coming from pcv or air cleaner. I would want to know that and treat that symptom. What gas do you use?

One challenge is where the air cleaner takes in air, usually a great spot behind wheel well, but in this case maybe an upgrade to a CAI you could actually use it in reverse, lol. Keep heat in engine bay with restriction, change where you capture air from engine bay, choke of in coming cold air, lol. I know sounds crazy.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe consider a catch can as well, maybe high octane gas, but I don't know what you can do about this other then heater blanket at night? h395 and U&A are doing a lot with blankets in cold places, might want to shoot them a PM, they have found some interesting things. Have you checked air filter?
This ^^^

Assuming it was inside the TB rather than outside in the motor/control assembly then I would consider getting the catch can for sure. Those short trips at cold temperatures are going to see a lot of trapped moisture coming through the PCV system. If you take a look at the can dump thread you'll see a lot of milky dumps in the winter from the can catching that moisture rather than letting it into the intake. Even down here I'll get the occasional slightly milky dump in the winter, but nothing like what the guys up north see.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He has the Pennstar, is that an enclosed pcv like the 6.4?

OP
OP
GrumpyOleMan

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all the info guys...not particularly inclined mechanically. I will look through the catch can thread. not familiar with them at all.
again many thanks.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Can't you just drive it around the block the long way until it warms up all the way and then blow the cobwebs out of it?

OP
OP
GrumpyOleMan

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kinda what I am doing on weekends, but at -10 and colder it takes a lot of "round the block the long way" to warm up completely.

So far the problem has not resurfaced, so I am thinking the warming up completely solution is working.

... so far ...

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Maybe it was just due to the extremely cold weather. At some point be it hot or cold things will start to F up. My 2000 GMC daily driver required 3-4 tries to stay running with the remote start when it was -14 here. Other wise in normal temps say teens on up, it starts first time every time. My wifes Journey had a terrible whine at start up during the -14 weather as well.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rather than long drives, Let it idle for extended periods of time. Just remember once you start moving in those temps it will take longer to warm up than if it was sitting still. My 14 6.4 that I had I idle”d the living **** out of, we had twin infants and massive temp swings so in the summer it idled till that mega cab was cool enough and in the winter till it was warm enough. At the time when I sold it my idle hours where tripple what my drive hours where.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have to deal with extreme cold temps a bunch and want to help warm the truck up faster, get the winter front they make for the EcoDiesel. It should fit any 4th Gen truck. 82213959AC should be the correct part # for the one with adjustable flaps.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I purchased the block heater and set a remote timer to turn it on 3-4 hours before I leave for work. On cold nights I plug it in and when I go to remote start to warm up cab the oil temp is much much warmer. I also have about a 5-6 mile drive to work and I keep the temps screen up on the dash to monitor engine and tranny temps. I can get my truck up to about 190-200 when I pull into work. I also have a 180 Tstat. Need to get the truck up to temp. I also have a catch can.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had this happen today.
7am,-30, plugged in, started normal. Drove the GF to work, 20 minutes into Calgary. Costco had lowered their price to $1.159 so filled up. Drove the last 6 minutes home, plugged ‘er back in and went inside.

10:30am, hey its only -27 now, hit the remote start and set out to do crap. Truck didn’t start. Dash message said ‘remote start failed’. Unplug the block heater and start the truck normally. Lope lope lope lope ding ding red lightning service wheel sensor, throttle and e parking brake. Trucks loping around 1200 rpm, goes up to 1500 unhappily with minimal throttle to full throttle.
Shut it off, started again, same unhappiness. Pop the hood, look for vac leaks, loose connections, loose fuses or relays, ect, nothing. Check the air filter, good. Was going to pull the intake and expect the throttle body but got as far as the hose clamp on the throttle body. Looked at the plastic connectors holding plastic components, considered the temp and my luck with plastic. Tightened the hose clamp, gave the throttle body a couple whacks with the butt of the screwdriver. Key in…. Vroooom!
Like nothing had happened. My best guess at the time was moisture from the PCV froze the throttle plate.
Went to a bunch of places and stores, started up just fine every time.