Icon 2.5 front coilovers on the way, how do I set them to 3" lift before installing them on the truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just placed my order with @Nick@GotExhaust for some icon coilovers to swap in at the same time as my JBA UCAs.
Is there a way to pre-set them to 3" lift before installing them on my truck? Do i need to order a spanner wrench from icon or do the COs come with one? Will I need to rent a spring compressor to be able to adjust the coilovers off of the truck?
Also I know how most of you feel about lift stacking.. BUT I currently have RC top plate spacers (small hole) for 1/2" extra lift on top of my eibach truck lift, can I transfer these spacers to the icon coilovers or is that an absolute no-go?

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked into doing something similar. If I recall correctly that .25" Rough country spacer is one of the few that you could use for a little extra lift on a Coil-Over. The Icons max out at 2.5" I believe.

@Quick_Shifter will know what's best for sure.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Just placed my order with @Nick@GotExhaust for some icon coilovers to swap in at the same time as my JBA UCAs.
Is there a way to pre-set them to 3" lift before installing them on my truck? Do i need to order a spanner wrench from icon or do the COs come with one? Will I need to rent a spring compressor to be able to adjust the coilovers off of the truck?
Also I know how most of you feel about lift stacking.. BUT I currently have RC top plate spacers (small hole) for 1/2" extra lift on top of my eibach truck lift, can I transfer these spacers to the icon coilovers or is that an absolute no-go?
If you wait for the 5th gen coilovers to be released they will net you +1” so if it’s 2” on a 5th gen it will be 3” on a 4th gen

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what do I need to be able to adjust the coil overs? Do I need to buy a spanner wrench, will I need to rent spring compressors to adjust the coilovers without them on the truck?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So what do I need to be able to adjust the coil overs? Do I need to buy a spanner wrench, will I need to rent spring compressors to adjust the coilovers without them on the truck?
Yes you’ll need a spanner wrench and a spring compressor. Technically if you compress them out of the truck you can spin the collar by had once you loosen it

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea i was gonna say, if you compress the spring you really wouldnt need the spanner wrench i wouldnt think.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! thanks for all the info!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can ask @hodge-xj for pretty much anything you need to know on the Icon COs install. I believe they come preset for 2.5" lift. They should come with the spanner wrench and instructions how to set them up. The adjuster seems similar to King and Fox so you loosen the pinch bolt one full turn, then turn the adjuster clockwise 1 full turn for about 1/4" lift increments so 2 full turns should add 1/2". Then tighten the pinch bolt. (snug up don't overtigthen). No need for spring compressors. You can use a vice if you haven't installed them yet or if you did install them then put the truck in the air and remove the wheels.we have posted how in our respective build threads.

Have fun.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can ask @hodge-xj for pretty much anything you need to know on the Icon COs install. I believe they come preset for 2.5" lift. They should come with the spanner wrench and instructions how to set them up. The adjuster seems similar to King and Fox so you loosen the pinch bolt one full turn, then turn the adjuster clockwise 1 full turn for about 1/4" lift increments so 2 full turns should add 1/2". Then tighten the pinch bolt. (snug up don't overtigthen). No need for spring compressors. You can use a vice if you haven't installed them yet or if you did install them then put the truck in the air and remove the wheels.we have posted how in our respective build threads.

Have fun.
Perfect! Thank you for the insight!

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you end up adjusting the collar, I would squirt some WD40 on the threads to make it easier to turn. You don't need to use a ton, just a small amount on the threads above/below.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@healthyrx i would call icon and ask what they recommend on adjustments Fox says every 2 turns is 1/4”