icon springs are noisy ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yousef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hello every one

i just installed the icon springs 1.5" with bilestine 5100 rear shocks 0-1" and there is a noisy sound comes from the springs when hitting a speed bumps i went back to the garage and they said the upper rings of the springs hits each other

is it normal? or there is something wrong ???

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't doubt a couple of those upper coil bounds will touch each other, but i dont know if that will be your noise root cause. Make sure your rear shocks/control arms,sway bar/links are torqued to specs.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I guess with the ICONs you cant install the plastic top spring isolators?

OP
OP
yousef

yousef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't doubt a couple of those upper coil bounds will touch each other, but i dont know if that will be your noise root cause. Make sure your rear shocks/control arms,sway bar/links are torqued to specs.

dont know man .. just dont know what to do .. shall i open all things in the rear and reinstalle it ????

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what is the plastic top spring isolators ????
They're there to help mitigate the vibration/noise etc, if you don't have them then that might be the issue, didn't think about that as i think people will want them in there at all times, you should have one at the top of the coil springs on both sides.

You can see in this pic how close the upper coil bounds are from each other, first 5 coils are literally rubbing all the time, i don't think your noise comes from that but who knows..

32043549767_fdcb22bcc4_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
yousef

yousef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
just call the guy and he said that he removed it from the oem coil and put it on the knew one :/

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So is this coil slap sound just a characteristic of progressive rate coils?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one instance of one single "clunk" when i go over a speed bump at certain speed , comes from the back, however in my case i've always though is the lock thing i have in the bed securing my full spare to the bed. i've never been able to pin point exactly what it is which is weird because it only happens when i go over speed bump at certain speed but not when i go over a pothole, i'm running the dirt trail whoops at 50-60mph without any other noises than my tool boxes bouncing around hahaha.
But something else i wanted to check was my body mounts torque, with so much bouncing and crap i thought i saw my bed bouncing a little too much in the mirrors during my last offroad trail trip so perhaps the clunk could be related to a loose body mount we'll see, i need to wait for the damn rain to stop to check things out.

Last edited:

Brianmp01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have icons and i don't have any noise from mine.

OP
OP
yousef

yousef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have one instance of one single "clunk" when i go over a speed bump at certain speed , comes from the back, however in my case i've always though is the lock thing i have in the bed securing my full spare to the bed. i've never been able to pin point exactly what it is which is weird because it only happens when i go over speed bump at certain speed but not when i go over a pothole, i'm running the dirt trail whoops at 50-60mph without any other noises than my tool boxes bouncing around hahaha.
But something else i wanted to check was my body mounts torque, with so much bouncing and crap i thought i saw my bed bouncing a little too much in the mirrors during my last offroad trail trip so perhaps the clunk could be related to a loose body mount we'll see, i need to wait for the damn rain to stop to check things out.

i will reinstall the springs with new isolator and see what will happen :/

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know how the half ton brake cables are routed, but my power wagon ones go through a few metal cable ties near the drivers side rear control arm and it will occasionally squeak and make noise there. I would check that for sure....

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed ICON coilovers and Delta joint UCA in front and the 1.5" coils and 2.0 shocks (no reservoirs) in back. Right away, I noticed a click/clunk sound when I went over speed bumps or drop off a curb at low speed. I don't hear it when driving fast on dirt or over regular rocks off road.

I got in my bed and with any slight bouncing I can recreate the noise. I had a friend bounce in the bed and I watched the coils (my rear fender liners are still off). Sure enough, with every jump, I could hear a clunk at the exact moment when the upper coils touched. At rest, my upper coils have small gaps in between (like ram1500rsm's photo, but slightly more) with an empty bed. I should have put my ear right up against the coils, but I was overwhelmed with the whole newness of the intall that I felt like I had ADD, and moved on to the next detail instead of investigating further.

I plan to drive with a weighted bed soon and see if they still clunk, and get someone to bounce in it.