ICON Stage 2 + Delta Joint UCA installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here are how the boots hang. I haven't touched them at all, all summer. Haven't even wiped them down, at all, including the shock arms. They're pretty damn clean. Gonna do a detail clean next time I grease the UCAs.

IMG_20191001_094342.jpg IMG_20191001_094405.jpg IMG_20191001_094326.jpg

And here is the surface I'm talking about where the shock body shoulder contacts the inner bracket. F'ing stupid in my opinion for Icon not to consider this and make the shoulder slightly lower o the RAM shocks. Lazy.

IMG_20191001_094517.jpg

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Awesome man, thank you for the response and great info. That sucks about the squeaky UCAs though and the constant attention they need for a daily driver. The other things you mentioned seem to have a 'do it once' long term remedy fix option. It's good to see you back on the forum!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. You're welcome! I learned almost all I know about my RAM from this forum so giving back a little was the least I could do.

2. No unexpected maintenance, but three minor issues. 1) the front UCA bushings squeak quite a bit. I grease them with the correct grease every 3000 miles or less and they still do it. When greasing, I've tried several slightly different techniques; loosening the bushing bolts while on the ground, or while in the air, tightening them loosely in the air, tightly in the air, or on the ground, but none of the changes seem to matter. I always do the final torque under the full weight off truck on the ground. Not a big deal, just a little embarrassing. 2) The install instructions mention having to grind off a little of the material on the flange of the frame mounting bracket for the rear shocks to fit. This was covered in my install posts. I've noticed that the interior portion of the frame bracket kinda flares out a bit early, also contacting the upper shoulder edge of the shock body. The shocks now have a slight flat spot where the body has beaten against the inner surface of the frame mounting bracket. Next time I take them off, I plan to grind that surface down a bit. 3) This has been covered to death, but I certainly wasn't expecting the rear springs to click and clack together! I'm used to it now. And yes, still sticking with the same grease. Superlube Synthetic (41150) for the bushings and Valvoline SynPower Synthetic (VV985) for the delta joint.

3. Yes, I kept them the slightly longer one on the drivers side. I think the gangster lean of the springs is normal, and just the way it is, due to the axel's position in relation to the frame mounts, and the nature of coils being that they do not seat perfectly perpendicular to the spring column.

4. Nope. Never got it realigned! It drives beautifully, stays centered in the lane on a real flat rd and I haven't noticed any undue tire wear. I'll get it aligned here again soon though just as a regular maintenance issue.

5. Yes. This has worked perfectly! I cut the shock boot so that it hangs free, and slightly contacts the lower mount of the shock arm. Due to the flare of the boot where I cut it, it hangs slightly open, allowing debris and water to flow out of the bottom, but blocking most dust coming in. The shock arms have been kept clean, dry and most importantly free from rock/sand pitting. I also wrapped the shock bodies with a 3M clear plastic film to protect them from pitting also. I will try and get pics today.

Thanks!

If you have to gauge more or less when the bushings will start squeaking, is it a matter of time or miles ?

I was using this in my Taco TC UCA poly bushings every 7-10k miles.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hss-3101/

If you want to read more about greasing poly bushings.
https://www.suspension.com/blog/the-best-grease-for-polyurethane-bushings/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr