Identification of a 1991

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beretta926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am trying to figure out if my old truck is work chasing down and getting back. It is a 1991, 318, 2x4, SE, LB. Here's the odd stuff, the speedo registered 1 bump past 125, the block was aluminum. The truck was not governed, it had about 20 mph of pedal past the speedo. It was all factory.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It definitely didn't have an aluminum block. It won't be worth much money so is it worth it to you?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Tg
I am trying to figure out if my old truck is work chasing down and getting back. It is a 1991, 318, 2x4, SE, LB. Here's the odd stuff, the speedo registered 1 bump past 125, the block was aluminum. The truck was not governed, it had about 20 mph of pedal past the speedo. It was all factory.
There has never been a production aluminum 318ci engine. There were some prototype aluminum blocks that were made in the late 1980's and early 1990's and if I remember correctly there were a total of four prototype aluminum blocks made. I'm looking for the source of my information from Galen Govier but I can't find it while I'm driving.

OP
OP
B

Beretta926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tg

There has never been a production aluminum 318ci engine. There were some prototype aluminum blocks that were made in the late 1980's and early 1990's and if I remember correctly there were a total of four prototype aluminum blocks made. I'm looking for the source of my information from Galen Govier but I can't find it while I'm driving.
I'm just going off what the mechanic told me. He said "it needs TIG welded" I said "why, is it aluminum?" He said " yeah, it needs TIG welded". I had a blown out water jacket.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm just going off what the mechanic told me. He said "it needs TIG welded" I said "why, is it aluminum?" He said " yeah, it needs TIG welded". I had a blown out water jacket.
It was a cast iron block for sure in 1991. If you really liked the truck I would say track it down and go for it.