Idiot ?s about LSD button on Ram 1500 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I ordered my 2017 Ram 1500 2WD with LSD(limited slip diff). The button on the dash shows a squiggly truck(slippery when wet) sign. I rarely go off road so in 3yrs(45k miles) I have yet to push the button.
Question 1: When the button is pushed and the light is on, does that mean I’m more likely to spin out & lose it on the freeway in snowy conditions?
Question 2: Does the light on mean I’m more likely to stay stuck in the mud w/one side spinning w/other not?

Please no mockery, I’m just a dude trying to get back home 40 miles from an airport in an expected ice storm.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You do not want to push that button.

If you are driving on ice in a 2wd you need to proceed in such away as to try not to spin your tires. Seriously. The best thing to do is wait iut the ice. Even if you had 4wd

The button turns off traction control. You want as much help as possible to not spin a tire. So leave the button alone.

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You do not want to push that button.

If you are driving on ice in a 2wd you need to proceed in such away as to try not to spin your tires. Seriously. The best thing to do is wait iut the ice. Even if you had 4wd

The button turns off traction control. You want as much help as possible to not spin a tire. So leave the button alone.

Thanks. The button question is now answered.

Being from the Midwest & Upper Midwest, I’ve driven on enough snow/ice to stay between the lines & yes, often 2-3hrs sitting while the salt trucks are out is better than 7 hrs of sitting in the ditch.

I’ll see how it goes tomorrow when we land in Nashville.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I will drive in 20 inches if snow and never bat an eye. Seeing 32 degrees and rain...makes me sick in the stomach.

Your LSD...anti spin...works automatically an there is no user input other than some throttle and brake tricks to get it to engage sometimes. This is irrelevant to your situation.

Since you have ice driving experience. You want to proceed light on the throttle and easy on the brakes. The ABS AND ESC systems will do the rest...most of the time without you knowing. And for these to work...do not touch the button.

Safe travels. Winter is fun

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loosely speaking there are three different categories of vehicle dynamics control on your truck - it's all one system of course but it has three different jobs.

First is stability control, that acts on throttle and brake to try to keep you from spinning out of control or rolling over. If you were driving at highway speeds and suddenly swerve to avoid a deer or something it's going to reduce throttle and selectively apply individual brakes to try to keep your truck pointed in the direction you're steering, not spin around or go sideways.

Pressing the button on your dash momentarily does not disable that, it's always active (it turns off in 4L on 4wd trucks)

Second is traction control. That acts on the throttle when it identifies that one or both of your rear wheels are spinning faster than the rest of your wheels, or when it identifies that your vehicle is oversteering while on-throttle (the rear of the vehicle is swinging out from a loss of traction on the rear wheels while cornering). It will reduce throttle input under those conditions to help you launch from a stop on ice, and help avoid fishtailing or getting sideways.
That is what gets disabled when you press the traction control button on your dashboard. It allows you to spin your tires and to get the vehicle sideways at low speeds which some people do for fun but also can be useful if you're stuck in mud or snow, to clear the tread of your tires if mud is packed in or to sustain momentum if you're barely moving.

The last mode is called brake lock differential which works on non-LSD trucks to simulate a LSD using the brakes. Since your truck is 2wd that would just be on the rear axle, it identifies when one wheel is spinning a lot faster than the other under throttle and clamps the brake down on that wheel to send power over to the other wheel. When you have LSD as well, it enhances the operation of the LSD and helps it last longer because it doesn't have to work as hard when it's engaged and it doesn't need to be preloaded like they used to be. This is always active and is not disabled when you press the button on your dash.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4 wheel drive doesnt mean 4 wheel control. Cruising youtube and looking at some of the recent storms, it deems the most wrecks are 4wd while the 2 wheelers cruise slowly by. Dame experience i had working the mean streets.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
4 wheel drive doesnt mean 4 wheel control. Cruising youtube and looking at some of the recent storms, it deems the most wrecks are 4wd while the 2 wheelers cruise slowly by. Dame experience i had working the mean streets.
So your saying just because someone has 4 wheel drive they can not do 90 mph on icy snowy roads :O lol.
I see that a lot up here as well ! For some reason some people think 4 wheel drive wheel don't slip on ice :O And I agree most trucks I see in a ditch are 4x4 or AWD cars

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All trucks have the same button and it is not unique to the LSD option. That button is for the traction and stability control systems. Hitting the button will turn off those systems, meaning for the average person you are more likely to lose control of the vehicle on slippery roads. I would recommend leaving it alone for any normal driving.

The only time I recommend turning off those systems is during slow off-road situations, or if you are in deep snow (such as trying to get out of your driveway), mud, or sand. Normal traction control is meant for highway driving conditions, where as in deep snow or sand it can actually get you stuck because it will cut power and not let you spin the tires.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't touch the button and you'll have all your FCA nannies helping you out as you drive. 2wd will suck on ice without at least winter tires and some heavy sand bags in your truck bed. You only disable the system when you need momentum to plow through sand/mud/snow etc where the system been enabled wouldn't allow the truck to move at all or barely move. You'll see what i'm talking about. You may need to disable the system temporarilly to at least start moving slowly, then re-enable it as the truck gets a little traction. We all drove before without this traction control stuff so you should be ok, just drive super carefully.

I disable the stupid TC thing in all my sport cars by default, It' on when it's raining though. On the truck i've removed some of the TM, at least the one that will prevent the truck from moving forward in a straight line, all the ESC stuff is fully on as the factory intended so if i'm trying to sway the rear around i can't. i still use the system to my advantage whenever i can, on or offroad :)

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks y’all. The trip home was uneventful. The weather today has made it interesting again. Since i fed the birds this morning, i figured my concrete yard statue of St Francis wouldn’t be offended if I put him in the back for extra weight... no complaints from the rear so far.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason more AWD and 4WD end up in ditch is not realizing how bad it is
and inexperience

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason more AWD and 4WD end up in ditch is not realizing how bad it is
and inexperience
I think many people are not familiar with AWD or 4wd and way over estimate the ability, so they drive faster on slick roads. As soon as you take your foot off the gas, or touch the brake, there is no difference between 2wd and 4wd.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
LSD sounds about right, Drivers "trippin" ! Call me a "Boomer" if you want ! Electronics has not benefitted the consumer anywhere near as much as it has the Manufacturers! Electronics in cars has created way more in both number of problems, and the cost of those problems, without demonstrating significant gains in performance or economy! The sheer number of posts in forums clearly demonstrate the exasperation people have toward repairing car problems, and the $$$ spent on replacing stuff that was not bad to begin with !