If You Like Your Jeep . . . . . . You soon won’t be able to buy one, thanks to California’s EV mandate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So you think it's OK for the government to tell you what you can and cannot buy? Unbelievable!

As a reminder, you CAN STILL BUY THESE JEEPS IN CA..you just have to order it because the maker decided not to allocate any to dealer stock.

That said, reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn but the gov't absolutely has a role in the marketplace. It's actually built right into the US Constitution. The copyright and patent clause, for example. Patents are anti-free market granting an inventor a monopoly. There's a good reason to do that, but "free market" people tend to forget the limits on the free market they accept. The commerce clause has been used in ways I'm sure the authors of the Constitution never forsaw, but again, market regulation build right into our founding documents.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a reminder, you CAN STILL BUY THESE JEEPS IN CA..you just have to order it because the maker decided not to allocate any to dealer stock.

That said, reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn but the gov't absolutely has a role in the marketplace. It's actually built right into the US Constitution. The copyright and patent clause, for example. Patents are anti-free market granting an inventor a monopoly. There's a good reason to do that, but "free market" people tend to forget the limits on the free market they accept. The commerce clause has been used in ways I'm sure the authors of the Constitution never forsaw, but again, market regulation build right into our founding documents.

^^^ Now there IS a huge leap.

Monumental difference between copyright and patents Vs, nanny state legislating / executive orders, dictating, what one can AND canNOT buy.

I'll leave it at that. Not interested in a time out.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
^^^ Now there IS a huge leap.

Monumental difference between copyright and patents Vs, nanny state legislating / executive orders, dictating, what one can AND canNOT buy.

I'll leave it at that. Not interested in a time out.

It's only a leap if you insist on viewing everything as extreme and ignore the "reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn". Reading it as actually written and intended simply points out the gov't CAN and DOES frequently enter the market place on what you can and can't buy, sell, produce, etc and generally with wide support. Of course those who want to make it politically will only look at the extremes, treat you like you morally suspect if you don't agree with them on where the line is drawn, and ignore basic facts...like the entire premise of this thread is incorrect. That's yet to divert anyone to what's actually happening vs what they think is happening, though...

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuredly, reasonable minds differ. And, I am sure you are spot on, with your assessment.

Thankfully, the government would never do anything extreme OR not in the best interest of the citizens. Oh. Wait.

Yea, banning ICE sales is reasonable. CARB folks are reasonable. Certainly not political. Following the science, I am sure. I'm not smart enough to understand. Some day I may catch up.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Assuredly, reasonable minds differ. And, I am sure you are spot on, with your assessment.

Thankfully, the government would never do anything extreme OR not in the best interest of the citizens. Oh. Wait.

Yea, banning ICE sales is reasonable. CARB folks are reasonable. Certainly not political. Following the science, I am sure. I'm not smart enough to understand. Some day I may catch up.

Then you argue against the individual overreach you see. Not the same as just dismissively saying the gov't has no legitimate role in regulation. Which, again, was the initial thing I was responding to, not what you've tried to turn my statement in to.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont know what the OP eventually did but I would have rented a car and drove to the nearest state/store that I could buy the part from and then go back and fix it or even get a buddy to come out and tow it back to where I could work on it. I tend to find ways to not participate in the crazyness and not get too strung out over it.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Guys, we've let this go on long enough even though it's been over the edge re political content per the RF rules. If it's not possible for you to continue this thread w/o the politics, then we can end it here.