If You're Looking at the 2019 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 - Here's my 2 Cents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for the update redman. 20-22 on the hwy is about the same as my current ecoboost!
No problem. I just put new tires on, 295/70 r18, I’ll let you guys know how it goes, currently holding steady at 10.5 but at one point prior to install I was at 11.0.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for the update redman. 20-22 on the hwy is about the same as my current ecoboost!
Another update. took a drive up the 395 and out to death valley. wasn't flat by any means, but figured it will give you an idea.

Loaded with about 1000 lbs of gear and drinks excluding driver and passenger. I maintained about 20 whenever it was flat at 65. A bit hard to get a good read since flat on the 395 is a slight incline or decline. the entire trip start to finish was about 800 miles and I ran 15.3 mpg. this includes the El Cajon pass and some slightly hairy jeep trails over three days. 295/70 r18 tires so I'm not exactly driving for mpg. still ended up pretty decent.

I was pretty surprised how well such a heavy truck did on the trails. while it's no wrangler it had good enough clearance for the odd rock in the middle of the road and I never got high centered. Also maybe not a very good approach angle, but an aftermarket bumper and armor can fix that. Sometimes I wish I went with the power wagon but I'd rather have the payload. want to get into a four wheel camper one day and a PW just wouldn't handle that wet weight i would need. Also would not want to drag a trailer on my ass while taking hairpin turns along a cliff.

All in all, ended up without a scratch and it performed better than I expected. Gas mileage on the open road is solid but once you are on side streets it's a thirsty ******* with a small tank. Best thing I ever did was ditch the stock tires, they would have had a rough go at it I think.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like pretty respectable mpgs for that trip! Havent played too much in DV yet, but I can tell you that there arent too many places in the neighboring Panamint Range that are full size friendly ;)

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sounds like pretty respectable mpgs for that trip! Havent played too much in DV yet, but I can tell you that there arent too many places in the neighboring Panamint Range that are full size friendly ;)
We hit Trona Pinnacle which was good practice, then went fish canyon escape route through to Goler Wash and barker ranch. conditions were really good and I think they recently filled in the waterfall. it was tight and got whacked by bushes but easy buff out. the 2500 with the offroad package did great, only time j really got nervous was on the steep declines, worried more about the brakes than anything but came out just fine.

Panamint was awesome, didnt go offroad there but drove highway back home through the joshua tree forest. it was raining so it was just a nice drive.

Firstram1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great looking truck! I have the same one! Grey with sport appearance and upgraded wheels

Love my truck accept for front end clunk and rattle in back of the cab. Hopefully these known issues will be fixed soon.

0603C7A9-F977-4174-9DBF-DEEB1C310802.jpeg

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great looking truck! I have the same one! Grey with sport appearance and upgraded wheels

Love my truck accept for front end clunk and rattle in back of the cab. Hopefully these known issues will be fixed soon.

View attachment 199203

Where in NYS are you, I'm in Rochester, I don't drive mine with the Mag Chloride they spray on the roads along with the good old Rock Salt, I got the protection package from the dealer, but I took delivery on 11/26/19 it was to cold for them to do the job, I'm still on the fence about undercoating and how they spray that tar everywhere on the undercarriage.

Orlando70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
St. Louis to Daytona and back pulling 8500 lbs enclosed trailer. 11 MPG