IHC 3/5 4x4 install questions / tips / recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't post a lot but I read and lurk a fair amount. I have finally got my hands on an IHC kit!! here's the story and then the questions..
In Canada with shipping/exchange/brokerage these kits are SUPER expensive (and I'm frugal). back in the spring, a guy up here (~ 4hrs from me) purchased the 5/7 2wd kit for his 4th gen. they shipped him a 4x4 3/5 kit. everything is the same in the two kits except the front lower control arms. IHC sent him the proper 2wd lowers and didn't want the 4x4 ones returned. he installed it. decided to bag the truck. pulled everything off and listed the kit for sale. didn't even drive on the kit. I think at that point he ended up actually selling his 4th gen. I talked back and forth with the seller. after a couple of days it was marked sold. :( I missed it.

In the spring, my intention is to remove my factory air suspension and install a lowering kit. found and purchased a nearly new ground force 2/3 kit of someone else.

A week later (a week ago) don't I see an IHC 5/7 listed within 2 hrs of me. oddly similar to the original listing back in the spring: sporting an extra set of control 4x4 lower control arms. contact seller and he's the guy that bought it off the first seller. he's decided to bag his truck. I didn't hesitate this time and bought it.

So, my Ram is a 2015 Longhorn 4x4 crew cab with the 6.4 bed (converted to look like a sport) with factory air suspension. I have SRT10 reps in satin black with 305/45/22 on them. I even have a set of the revel lowering links and although entry exit height looks great with those, it rides like all 4 corners are on pogo sticks *boing boing*. it's going to look fantastic and hopefully ride just as nice *fingers crossed*.

Here's the crucial part of the post. I'm looking for ANY advise, suggestions, tips on installing this kit which we'll say is now just the straight up IHC 3/5 4x4 kit. I don't know of anyone that has gone from factory air to 3/5, 4/6 ... so I contacted IHC and they haven't even done one. I figure that if guys delete the air system and go to OE struts/coils, it's just a different step of going low at that time.

I've got all of the other pieces I think I'll need other than rear coil spring isolators (need these because I have the factory air suspension). I've read about people putting a different brand of ball joint in the front, using different rear shocks etc.. things of that nature. I'd like to compile this input from you guys that have all installed and have been running this kit on a 4x4 for awhile. that way in the spring all that's left is the hard part .. the install. I'm super excited, like a kid, like when I lowered my first 1991 Mazda B2200 pickup in 1993. LOL yeah, I'm that old. moved on to running a Dakota forum and lower several 3rd gen Dakota's for other members (in the early/mid 2000's). then a couple of lowered Astro vans after the Dakota. I've been adulting since.

I appreciate you getting through this post (if you did) and really look forward to your knowledge. even something as simple as where the heck I find a bent wrench for rear shock bolts? LOL

Rob

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My suggestion, make certain you understand tire height and clearance inside front fender.

I'm on my second set of inner fenders from rubbing and have purchased smaller front tires to minimize rubbing.

I'm 4/6 on a 2wd regular cab.

I know different than 4x4, but my 285 45 22s rubbed on dips at speed and IHC recommendations were go to 3/5 or buy smaller tires.

Kit rides fantastic but it does have a few unique challenges

Good luck

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks bigsky. I'll definitely take that into consideration when installing. I am absolutely willing to adjust tire size if necessary. I know that the 305 45 22 I have now works great at stock height and coming down that far will potentially cause clearance issues.

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swear that I had read someone's signature on here that stated they had either the 3/5 or 4/6 IHC kit but that they were going to try to install front OE front air springs. anyone know who that may be? I scoured for hours last night going through all the threads I've been in in last two weeks and can't find the member.

finally had my buddy drop off everything yesterday. so excited. meh spring is only 4 months away :(

Attachments

• 20221229_172502_HDR.jpg
    20221229_172502_HDR.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221229_172505.jpg
    20221229_172505.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: