I'm about to order a new 2022 Rebel Ecodiesel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneckincanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Is there anything I should know before I pull the trigger? ANY advice would help me out, but...

I am most concerned with two things:

1) are the power folding mirrors an option, and if so, do I select the "Power, Manual Folding Tow Mirrors" option to get them? I don't want giant oversized ugly tow mirrors, I just need them to
power fold to fit in my garage.

2) my company vehicle is a 2016 Laramie with the Alpine system. I've been happy with it, but am not sure if these 2022's have the same quality due to the fact that they now offer this Harmon Kardon one
which doesn't sound very good from the reviews I've seen so far. If I go with the Alpine one, can I expect the same quality as what is in my 2016 Laramie?

-

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I have the Harmon Kardon system. It’s fine. Obviously it’s no aftermarket system. But it does the job for me well. And I’ve had many aftermarket systems.

Looks like you need to select the Black Power Fold Mirrors. All the stock mirrors in the description don’t mention power fold like they do on other models.

I’ve found a handful of Rebel Ecodiesels around me. (Pacific Northwest) Can you not find any on the lots?

14A63D65-67D1-470C-8BBA-5EDA006BFD37.jpeg

OP
OP
R

redneckincanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have the Harmon Kardon system. It’s fine. Obviously it’s no aftermarket system. But it does the job for me well. And I’ve had many aftermarket systems.

Looks like you need to select the Black Power Fold Mirrors. All the stock mirrors in the description don’t mention power fold like they do on other models.

I’ve found a handful of Rebel Ecodiesels around me. (Pacific Northwest) Can you not find any on the lots?
Not any that are Hydro Blue, have the RAM boxes, Pano roof and Level 2, no.
Yes, that is what I selected in the build, but it's the words "Tow Mirrors" that make me think of those giant mirrors that stick way out connected by two big arms to the body style mirrors.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My understanding is that owning of an ecodiesel could get very expensive and frustrating. I would strongly consider solid extended warranty. That said, there is number of people that have been extremely happy with with the trucks. But, certainly more miss than hit with eco's vs hemi's and pentastars.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My understanding is that owning of an ecodiesel could get very expensive and frustrating. I would strongly consider solid extended warranty. That said, there is number of people that have been extremely happy with with the trucks. But, certainly more miss than hit with eco's vs hemi's and pentastars.
Why is it people who usually have never owned a diesel feel the need to "parrot" what they read about "how expensive" it is to own a diesel? The one I liked the best was how expensive DEF adds to the operating cost which by the way is somewhere around $0.001/mile, you can add 100 times that while driving a Hemi just by heavy footing the skinny pedal.
Most of the complaints which is usually all you read about on forums are from the Gen2 EcoDiesel platform, the OP is buying a Gen3 which so far have very few mentions of problems.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is it people who usually have never owned a diesel feel the need to "parrot" what they read about "how expensive" it is to own a diesel? The one I liked the best was how expensive DEF adds to the operating cost which by the way is somewhere around $0.001/mile, you can add 100 times that while driving a Hemi just by heavy footing the skinny pedal.
Most of the complaints which is usually all you read about on forums are from the Gen2 EcoDiesel platform, the OP is buying a Gen3 which so far have very few mentions of problems.

Expensive Diesel is a fad. Yes there is a little more cost but gas motor parts are just as expensive these days. Most people are paying Diesel shop rates for repair or dealer which all charge more because it's Diesel lol. It's a turbo'ed combustion engine different parts but same concept. My mechanic that works on my fleet is not a "Diesel " mechanic but does a hell of a job and charges me normal rates. He actually is know in the area to bullet proof 6.0 ford's. Yes the Eco Diesel had issues on its first launch but if I were to buy another 1500 I would probably get one.
Fuel economy is better and towing capability is better. I would miss the hemi sound but not that much.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would miss the hemi sound but not that much.
I like the sound of nice throaty V8 but there's something wrong about having to listen to a V8 gasser scream towing right along side me while I have 8K lbs in tow climbing a grade with the EcoD. The EcoD is about a s quiet as a church mouse even with that load.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the sound of nice throaty V8 but there's something wrong about having to listen to a V8 gasser scream towing right along side me while I have 8K lbs in tow climbing a grade with the EcoD. The EcoD is about a s quiet as a church mouse even with that load.

I am still fairly young but the older I get I like my daily drivers quite. Hobby vehicles I want ear drums bursting. I think the hemi has a higher towing capacity rating but from people I know the diesel does it better with better fuel economy.

OP
OP
R

redneckincanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm a heavy equipment diesel mechanic, so I'm not overly concerned with having to work on it if something goes wrong.
I like the diesel simply for its fuel economy, which matches perfectly to my avg daily driving of 500kms a week.
As far as what I'm hearing now, the interest rate on these has gone up from 0.49 a few months ago to 3.99 now over 96 mos, AND there is such a chip shortage that they (the dealer) tell me you can't even
physically order one with a panoram roof right now but will have to wait until spring to even PLACE the order for one. Yikes.
This is in Canada btw.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Which is why I went to 3/4 ton and 6.4 Hemi, pulling almost identical load as yours. My 1500 squatted way too much with that load. Doesn't yours?

3.0 ED isn't offered in 3/4 ton, only the Cummins - which is way overkill for that load.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Which is why I went to 3/4 ton and 6.4 Hemi, pulling almost identical load as yours. My 1500 squatted way too much with that load. Doesn't yours?
When towing that load I keep the tongue to a minimum, WDH and air bags. Set up is crucial but it the trailer is stable and drive with one hand on the steering wheel (no white knuckle driving).

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I'm a heavy equipment diesel mechanic, so I'm not overly concerned with having to work on it if something goes wrong.
I like the diesel simply for its fuel economy, which matches perfectly to my avg daily driving of 500kms a week.
As far as what I'm hearing now, the interest rate on these has gone up from 0.49 a few months ago to 3.99 now over 96 mos, AND there is such a chip shortage that they (the dealer) tell me you can't even
physically order one with a panoram roof right now but will have to wait until spring to even PLACE the order for one. Yikes.
This is in Canada btw.
I’m seeing pano roofs everywhere on lots. The chip shortage is mostly impacting the advanced safety group and adaptive cruise control. They bumped access to that package into higher level trims.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
When towing that load I keep the tongue to a minimum, WDH and air bags. Set up is crucial but it the trailer is stable and drive with one hand on the steering wheel (no white knuckle driving).

Got it. I couldn't do that with the tractor and bucket in the trailer. The C.G. was where the C.G. was. I didn't want a tandem axle trailer if I could help it since we get into some tighter spots in the woods, so the single axle trailer loaded made the 1/2 ton Ram squat damn near to the jounce stop pads. No good.

3/4 ton does great. Not a bad ride either since it has coil link rear end now. 6.4 is just the right power. Anything above 10k load needs a Cummins IMO.

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the diesel option for the Rebel ads quite a bit to the initial cost.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think the diesel option for the Rebel ads quite a bit to the initial cost.
It does, about $2,700 (3.8% of MSRP) above the cost of the Hemi. So one needs to think it out, is a diesel a need or a want. My 2022 is an ECODiesel, a want but I also keep my trucks 8 or 9 years so I will likely break even but that isn't a goal, I simply like diesels. My 2015 3500 is a Cummins, definitely a need.

Now on this issue of diesels costing "so much more" as some want you to believe, to maintain, let's put that to rest. It does not cost a lot more, but a bit more. You need to consider how often a diesel requires an oil change compared to a gasser, my Hemi would go through 2 or 3 oil changes to 1 oil change on the Cummins. It cost me around $65 to change the oil in the Cummins. Fuel filters are an additional expense of about $98. DEF usage is so little it isn't worth the conversation. Diesels do not break, they are very robust if left the way the engineers designed them. Diesels cost more upfront but the resale vehicle will return the investment.

My son was a powertrain engineer at Chrysler before moving to the supplier network. He was working with the initial ECODiesel versions. Yes, there were issues but he assured me, and he did ask his friends that are working on the ECODiesel program, they have the issues resolved and the current generation of ECODiesels is very robust.

So far, I'm quite impressed with the little ECODiesel albeit I've only had the truck for a couple of weeks and just over 300 miles. It is winter here in Michigan, cold mornings, usually single digits temperature on either side of zero. The ECODiesel fires right up, almost instantly after a remote start procedure. Plenty of power, quiet operation, pulls like a mule, and nearly twice the MPG over the Hemi. The only downside is the warm-up, not quite as fast as the Hemi it replaced.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 Ram Eco-diesel just turned 61,000 miles
My Extended warranty just expired

I had a special plan when i bought this Ram
I got 10 free oil changes as part of the purchase
The oil was Mopar Full Synthetic

I have only paid for the fuel filters

Yesterday i made an appointment to have the EGR Cooler warranty taken care of

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My 2016 Ram Eco-diesel just turned 61,000 miles
My Extended warranty just expired

I had a special plan when i bought this Ram
I got 10 free oil changes as part of the purchase
The oil was Mopar Full Synthetic

I have only paid for the fuel filters

Yesterday i made an appointment to have the EGR Cooler warranty taken care of

If only there were a 3/4 ton with a mid size diesel. *sigh*

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
This is in Canada btw.
Interesting - I got my 2021 ED back in November for 0% interest, but that's here in the States, through Chrysler Credit.

Also out here I've seen diesel fuel prices that are as low as low-end gasoline for a couple years now. I'm pretty happy with my ED :)

Ken

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I wanted an Ecodiesel. Got convinced to go Hemi eTorque. MPGs not so good, SPGs better.