I'm back on the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Well the weather has broken here in upstate NY! So Ram can now hit the road. Haven't gone but a few thousand since last August when it was brought home. Victory motorcycle now takes over as daily transport for me, old 00 Buick for wife (or she has her Triumph America LT). I will be headed to the B-Body site for a bit as I want to add Fuel injection to the 66 - so I can gain some cruise type advance, to make it more road worthy. Problem there is the fuel cell will need to get modified, and a system has to be picked and planned to feed the engine.( 689HP-675lbft) It now has a 1050 Dominator feeding it. Looking to get it more "street able". I will check in though. Good SITE and GOOD PEOPLE HERE! Just an "old fart" that likes to babble. Any one here into these type of mods?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....Aaaaaa ....getting the truck out for spring. Always a good time of year!

What EFI are you going to put on the B-machine? I was always gung-ho on putting EFI on a couple classic cars. But I have a buddy who's pretty saavy who knocked his head on a FAST EFI system for months ...and a neighbor kid, who's pretty darn sharp with engines and EFI, for a young guy. They've both spent an inordinate amount of time fussing with their EFI for months. My neighbor kid had to have his classic Ford towed home twice. And this was just last year on my neighbor kid ..not an early EFI system. As 'bolt-in' as they claim to be, I'm hearing you really need to tweak the settings to get the best out of them. Which can result in quite a bit of time invested.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing it, but it's helpful to have someone who's been in the trenches (a few times) help out with the deeper fuel tables and debugging. They *seem* work great once ironed out, I hear.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're already running a Holley carb, Holley makes quite a few bolt on TBI kits that will swap right on in place of the carb.

There's quite a few options

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holley Snpr is what my neighbor kid was fighting. Who knows what the deal on that was. I never heard the final word. Don't let my remarks on "someone I know" sour you on it. The good is theres tons of online support for it. It's a good kit from what I can see. They get better every yr.

OP
OP
1 MEAN66

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
My problem beside, how much money I want to add to what's already in it, is that the "popular" systems - and I want a learn as it is driven style- are mostly advertised as up to 650HP and 800+ hp. I'm in the middle of that. But I have talked to the Snpr people and they say they can help. I also like the looks of the new Edelbrock VRS 4150 carb. As it actually has a vacuum port - off idle cruise- for old school style dist. with a vac. advance. So I will start my research. They are supposed to have or will have a 950 VRS carb. - but I do not see it available as of yet. And do not know how this series of carb has actually worked so far. I am not a computer person!!!! so if the computer can learn without me pushing buttons, then I and the car are much safer. 10 sec. cars on the street can get "squirrely" real quick, especially if the car is set up as a "STRAIGHT LINE" car. I just want it to be a somewhat "street able " driver. Vacuum advance is never needed at a drag strip, but on the street unless ( lets say a steady cruise at 3500RPM) you have dialed in 50 or so degrees of advance, the engine will run real dirty- wash down cylinders etc., simply because the spark is not started early enough in the compression stroke to get the flame front in the cyl. complete before the piston starts back down. I just do not know what to gamble on old school (me) carb. and dist. and play with the jets, or TBI and left the electronics do it. I can fix carb's, if the computer has a heart attack that's a different story. And as with everything whomever is selling any product, always says that theirs always works the best, and is simple to use and set up. For example: anyone know a name of a Ford dealer that said to their truck buyer this is a great truck and we even make a tool to get out those spark plugs that WILL break off in the cyl. heads. Or a GM dealer that said great truck and that teeny-tiny 2.7 has as much power as a large v-8, just make sure you get rid of it before you get to 90K when the turbo start to wear out and drink oil. Or in our case, That tick is no big deal most of the time it is just an exhaust leak, BUT it can be the little wheel on the lifter (siezed) but you will love the truck!!!!!
Well got to get back to the school bus.

Last edited: