Im in need of help wiring up a pair of 2016 Ram seats into a 2005 Ram 2500.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Hi, Im hoping you can help me with my wiring on these new seats? The original seats on drivers side had power and passenger side had none. I bought a set of used seats from a 2016 Ram with full power and heater and air in seats. My original plud dont fit any of the connections. Do you sell or make a harness so i can hook up the seats if not can you help me with wire diagrams and maybe give me some direction how to get them to work? Thank you for your help. I will include some pictures of the connections under the seat and my stock connection. Thank you Joe Caruso N.Y.

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Here are the pictures.

20171212_162519.jpg

20171212_162514.jpg

20171212_162503.jpg

20171212_162456.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
More pictures

20171212_162431.jpg

20171212_161953.jpg

20171212_162017.jpg

20171212_161948.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is not a conversion harness available to just plug the seats into your truck. To make the power adjustment features work you would want to tap into the solid red wire and black wire in each of the yellow seat plugs. You want to run a constant positive to the red wire and just ground the black wire. You could also just tap it into the positive and negative of your seat plug you already have on your driver side. This will make the seat adjustments work. Be careful when your prodding around in your yellow seat plug not to short it out as your seat airbag could be deployed if you put juice and negative to the wrong pin. As far as the heating and cooling features of the seats goes your truck does not have the correct electronics to make them work. They operate off a a CAN system and can only work in the 13 and up Rams. You would also need to figure out how to run the wires in your seat for your seatbelt chime. I would recommend bypassing the seat wiring for that and just try to wire it in and convert your wiring from your original harness or even possibly convert over your original seat belts. If you choose to use the actual seat wiring the drivers side yellow plug LG/GY wire in pin#11 on the yellow plug is seat belt buckle switch sense wire. The LG/TN wire in the driver side pin#12 yellow plug is the driver's seat belt buckle switch ground wire. The passenger seat has an occupant detection signal plus seat belt signal. The occupant detection signal for the yellow seat plug on the passenger side is LB/DG pin#8 yellow plug passenger seat occupant is LB/LG pin#9 yellow plug passenger seat. The passenger seat belt switch sense is LB/GY pin#19 yellow plug passenger seat. Not sure if any of that will help you or not but that's what I'm showing on my schematics. As I stated before I think it would be much easier for you to just incorporate your trucks original harnesses and possibly even attach your seatbelts the new seats. These seats work off of completely different configuration than your truck does. In order for your driver and passenger side airbags to function properly you're going to need to make sure you have everything connected properly and your truck knows the seats are occupied. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Will i have to worry about the seat airbag blowing as im driving if im not using them? Go you know what wires or plug i should not play with so i dont make it go off by mistake? Can i hook up the heated seats only or not possably with my truck? Also thank you for taking the time to answer me . Joe.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The seat airbags won't deploy as long as you don't have them hooked up. I'm not sure which wires are for the seat airbags but I know they are in the yellow plug on each seat. I will see if I can find the schematics on the airbags. Sadly neither the heating or ventelating features will work with these seats in your truck. The CAN system is basically how the truck communicates to different modules and the BCM. There is no way for your truck to communicate with the seats to make them function properly. In other words you can't just hook up a switch to make them work because the modules in the seat need to communicate with the truck in order to function properly.

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
There is not a conversion harness available to just plug the seats into your truck. To make the power adjustment features work you would want to tap into the solid red wire and black wire in each of the yellow seat plugs. You want to run a constant positive to the red wire and just ground the black wire. You could also just tap it into the positive and negative of your seat plug you already have on your driver side. This will make the seat adjustments work. Be careful when your prodding around in your yellow seat plug not to short it out as your seat airbag could be deployed if you put juice and negative to the wrong pin. As far as the heating and cooling features of the seats goes your truck does not have the correct electronics to make them work. They operate off a a CAN system and can only work in the 13 and up Rams. You would also need to figure out how to run the wires in your seat for your seatbelt chime. I would recommend bypassing the seat wiring for that and just try to wire it in and convert your wiring from your original harness or even possibly convert over your original seat belts. If you choose to use the actual seat wiring the drivers side yellow plug LG/GY wire in pin#11 on the yellow plug is seat belt buckle switch sense wire. The LG/TN wire in the driver side pin#12 yellow plug is the driver's seat belt buckle switch ground wire. The passenger seat has an occupant detection signal plus seat belt signal. The occupant detection signal for the yellow seat plug on the passenger side is LB/DG pin#8 yellow plug passenger seat occupant is LB/LG pin#9 yellow plug passenger seat. The passenger seat belt switch sense is LB/GY pin#19 yellow plug passenger seat. Not sure if any of that will help you or not but that's what I'm showing on my schematics. As I stated before I think it would be much easier for you to just incorporate your trucks original harnesses and possibly even attach your seatbelts the new seats. These seats work off of completely different configuration than your truck does. In order for your driver and passenger side airbags to function properly you're going to need to make sure you have everything connected properly and your truck knows the seats are occupied. Good luck

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Hi, i was able to jump the one yellow plug and i got the seats to move foward and backwards but it wont move the back of the seats at all. The other yellow plug dont have a solid black or red wire. What are the other wired do i need to jump to get the back of the seats to move back and foward? Joe

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Ok i hooked up a pos12volts and ground to the yellow plug and thr drivers seat moves only bottom part of the seat. It goes foward and backwards and tilts up and down but the rear back rest of the seat dont move. Is there another wire to hook up to make the rear portion to work? I have another yellow plug but there isnt a red or black like the first plug? Can you let me know does it all work off the one yellow plug or am i missing another plug tjat needs to be hooked up?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok i hooked up a pos12volts and ground to the yellow plug and thr drivers seat moves only bottom part of the seat. It goes foward and backwards and tilts up and down but the rear back rest of the seat dont move. Is there another wire to hook up to make the rear portion to work? I have another yellow plug but there isnt a red or black like the first plug? Can you let me know does it all work off the one yellow plug or am i missing another plug tjat needs to be hooked up?
No it should all work with just the one wire hooked up. Not to sound stupid but are you sure you are moving the right button to adjust the back of the seat? The back adjust with the top part of the button that resembles the back of the seat. The bottom button controls the base of the seat that moves up and down and back and forth.

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
No it should all work with just the one wire hooked up. Not to sound stupid but are you sure you are moving the right button to adjust the back of the seat? The back adjust with the top part of the button that resembles the back of the seat. The bottom button controls the base of the seat that moves up and down and back and forth.

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Lol Yes im sure unless something is disconnected under the seat? So the 2 wires on the one yellow plug powers the seat in all positions? I will look to see if a plug is disconnected. I know you said both yellow plugs have red ànd black. I only saw one so i thought maybe it was another wire i need to hook up. After i figure out the seat can i somehow hook up the heated portion only or not possiable in my year 05?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol Yes im sure unless something is disconnected under the seat? So the 2 wires on the one yellow plug powers the seat in all positions? I will look to see if a plug is disconnected. I know you said both yellow plugs have red ànd black. I only saw one so i thought maybe it was another wire i need to hook up. After i figure out the seat can i somehow hook up the heated portion only or not possiable in my year 05?
Yes only two other things I could think of would be possibly you have a bad switch or part of the harness has been unplugged underneath the seat I would check those first. Unfortunately the heated seats will not work in your 05 in their current configuration. There's a heated seat module underneath the seat that controls heating pads through what's called a CAN ( controller area network) system. Your truck would not be able to communicate with the module. The only two scenarios would be to figure out how to actually tap into the seat heater wires bypass the module and hook them up to an aftermarket controller system or simply remove the seat covers remove the factory heating elements and install an aftermarket seat heater system. Since your seats are out of the Laramie the heating elements are actually incorporated into the ventilation system and it would be a shame to tear them all apart but if you want to make them work in an an 05 those are probably the only two ways you're going to get it done.

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Yes only two other things I could think of would be possibly you have a bad switch or part of the harness has been unplugged underneath the seat I would check those first. Unfortunately the heated seats will not work in your 05 in their current configuration. There's a heated seat module underneath the seat that controls heating pads through what's called a CAN ( controller area network) system. Your truck would not be able to communicate with the module. The only two scenarios would be to figure out how to actually tap into the seat heater wires bypass the module and hook them up to an aftermarket controller system or simply remove the seat covers remove the factory heating elements and install an aftermarket seat heater system. Since your seats are out of the Laramie the heating elements are actually incorporated into the ventilation system and it would be a shame to tear them all apart but if you want to make them work in an an 05 those are probably the only two ways you're going to get it done.

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Thank you for your info! Its a big help. I will look for a connection unplugged or check for a bad switch. Thank you Joe

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel

OP
OP
Z

Zoopjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Hi, I wanted to let you know that the drivers seat had a plug disconnected that prevented the back of the seat to move. Once i connected it it worked fine. Thank you. I also hooked up the passenger side and it only had one plug and worked perfect! Thanks again for your help. Now i wish i could get the electric heaters to work on the seats. Joe

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I wanted to let you know that the drivers seat had a plug disconnected that prevented the back of the seat to move. Once i connected it it worked fine. Thank you. I also hooked up the passenger side and it only had one plug and worked perfect! Thanks again for your help. Now i wish i could get the electric heaters to work on the seats. Joe
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Remember if all else fails you can always take the seats apart and install and aftermarket seat heater kit. The only bad thing would be you would have to tear those seats apart and they are worth a lot more money if you ever want to sell them if you just leave them alone.