I'm looking at a 2002 Ram 1500 SLT, had a few questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhmnuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
N/A
I'm located in New York and they're selling an 02 1500 SLT for $5,900 with 130k miles on it. Now that's all the information I have on the truck at this point. I plan on going tomorrow to test drive it and learn more about the truck.

1. What can I really expect for gas mileage with the truck? Right now gas is cheap at $2.50 but easily shoots up to near $3.00 during the summer. Obviously its a truck and I don't expect the best, but what can I expect?

2. It has 130k miles on it. To me that's a lot, but I see others for sale with a lot more. What should I really be checking for when I go to test drive it tomorrow and overall check it out?

4. How's the reliability, whats the main issues/concerns with the vehicle?

5. Is this reasonably priced? It was an auction vehicle they purchased.

OP
OP
D

dhmnuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
N/A
I would also like to use the truck to go on the beach and go surf casting

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2003 1500 SLT Quad cab, 4.7 eng, 4x4. When I traded it, 5 years ago, gas was up around $4/gal. I bought it when it had 79,000 miles and it had 138,000 when I traded it for a Patriot. It was getting 8 mpg around town and 14 on the highway. About 3 months before, the engine developed a miss on the #3 cylinder, that kept giving me a check engine light, Lucas fuel treatment made that go away. All in All, if it weren't for the around town mileage, and the price of gas at the time, I'd still have it, for a 1500 it was a workhorse, and the 4wd always worked, no problems. The only other issue was the cancer on the rear fenders, but I had already located a reasonably priced replacement bed for it.

I missed the truck so much, I gave my wife the Patriot, and picked up a 2010 Ram 1500 2wd back in October.

Nathan Goehring

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 & 2014
Engine
4.7 & 5.7
I have the same truck with 230k on it. Check the front and rear seals as well as the ball joints. Drive it and pay close attention to any vibrations. At 180k I replaced all the seals, u joints, front axles, breaks & rotors, and bearings. I also did all the ball joints. It's a Dodge so your mpg won't be great. I have the 4.7 and never average more than 13mpg

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine
Maybe have a 4 x 4 shop give it a look over. If you do buy it, probably worth replacing fluids unless you know for sure they are done (differentials, t-case etc.)

I also always fret about electrical issues. Why having a shop run a full test is good.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_20150905_093746_918.jpg Mines a 2003 RCSB SLT Hemi with 154K miles on it, I've had to replace the gas tank, twice. The filler neck cracks (inherent problem I'm told) and throws a CEL code. I had to replace my radiator due to blockage, but other than that it's been very dependable. Heater core needs replacing and the dash has the preverbal crack. I'd hold out for at least an 03 or newer and get the Hemi.View attachment 150871 IMG_20150912_183903_453.jpg

OP
OP
D

dhmnuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
N/A
View attachment 150873 Mines a 2003 RCSB SLT Hemi with 154K miles on it, I've had to replace the gas tank, twice. The filler neck cracks (inherent problem I'm told) and throws a CEL code. I had to replace my radiator due to blockage, but other than that it's been very dependable. Heater core needs replacing and the dash has the preverbal crack. I'd hold out for at least an 03 or newer and get the Hemi.View attachment 150871 View attachment 150872
What gas mileage are you looking at?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you know what engine is in it?

Shoveltuski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 double cab shortbox
Engine
4.7L v8
Hemi is a ba motor! Had the 5.7L Hemi in my 05 Durango...what a fun rig to drive...plenty of power-stock! & reliability was great. I wouldn’t have gotten rid of it, but my daughter totaled it ☹️. I have the 4.7L in my 02 Ram & it barely gets any better mileage stop & go & the truck is a manual transmission. I’d say Probably 4-5 mpg better on the highway. If I had to pick I’d get the hemi all day!!! Lol

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had the 4.7 and now a 5.7 Hemi.....both reliable and both thirsty.

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I'm located in New York and they're selling an 02 1500 SLT for $5,900 with 130k miles on it. Now that's all the information I have on the truck at this point. I plan on going tomorrow to test drive it and learn more about the truck.

1. What can I really expect for gas mileage with the truck? Right now gas is cheap at $2.50 but easily shoots up to near $3.00 during the summer. Obviously its a truck and I don't expect the best, but what can I expect?

2. It has 130k miles on it. To me that's a lot, but I see others for sale with a lot more. What should I really be checking for when I go to test drive it tomorrow and overall check it out?

4. How's the reliability, whats the main issues/concerns with the vehicle?

5. Is this reasonably priced? It was an auction vehicle they purchased.

I'd say that's an alright price if the truck is in good physical condition. Fuel economy is horrendous, 18mpg is the highest you'll probably ever see. Reliability can be questionable at times and 3rd gens seem to rust pretty bad up there in NY. Broken manifold bolts are common but not too big a deal. The 4.7 engine if taken proper care of can last well over 200k, and usually the transmission is decent with the 4.7 in front of it. Less power, less strain, the trans will survive longer. Head gasket can go if you let it overheat, and valvetrain will start ticking if you neglect maintenance, especially as it racks up miles. These are kinda "worst case" scenarios, if you take care of it it'll take care of you