I'm New to Rams. Pls tell me your thoughts on this truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
I'm looking at a '19 2500 Bighorn crewcab Hemi with 53K miles priced at $44K. The price is high but it will have warranty and nice shell.

Please tell me about these trucks in general. What are some must-do's to keep them well-maintained or just any other considerations?

This truck has an 8-speed. Has this tranny proven to be reliable?

It also has the variable cylinder system. Is this a well-tested system?

Any information to make me smarter on these trucks is appreciated!

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This truck has an 8-speed. Has this tranny proven to be reliable?

Yes, very. Had the 8spd in multiple MOPARS without any trouble. As with anything just take care of it and don’t go too long before refreshing the fluid.

It also has the variable cylinder system. Is this a well-tested system?

Like the above I’ve had the MDS in two Charger R/T’s (2016 & 2018) and in a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Had zero issues with it. I’m sure you could have an issue but I doubt it’s common. Don’t solely take what you see on the internet, more people will complain than say their stuff works. So you’ll see an overwhelming negative picture as a result.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They're very good trucks. I've been driving Dodge trucks since 1994. If you like the truck and it has what you need, buy it.

Red

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I'll be the first negative! I wouldn't buy it, as mine is better! Ignore this and other remarks like it. I have a gen 4 cause I am one of the few that like and wanted a Reg. Cab 8 ft. box. Anything mechanical can break/ wear out. Welcome to the MOPAR Family! Yes to most of us "OLD FARTS" it still is a MOPAR FAMILY.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have your truck in Black... only 18500 miles on mine. The tranny is a beast on the 6.4L. Plenty of torque for a 10k load, but it will burn fuel when working. Don't expect great fuel economy. The Air conditioner may not seem cold enough, but keep in mind your in a fishbowl. Having the dealer reload the freon, and 20 percent tint helped a lot. I hope your warranty will be Mopar, and not that one on TV. Much less grief. No real issues at all, and most of what I do is tow the camper. It rides like a truck when empty, but, after all... it is a TRUCK. Not a car. Good Luck, welcome to the Forum, and enjoy! Remember... Search is your best friend.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to the Family of Mopar!!!
i have a 2019 1500 classic 5.7 Hemi VVT and 8spd trans with 100,000Km on clock! like above Fuel economy not friendly in city but this past summer i drove 5000 KM got 10.5 per 100 witch is great economy! Love my truck Just do your service regularly as for oil changes use quality synthetic oil ! other than that enjoy your teuck

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I use ECO light as a guide to help with MPG. I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with air suspension and both my wife and I find the truck very comfortable on long rides.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You will love the 8 speed. Had a 2017 6.4 3/4 ton. Great truck. But pulling a 10,000 lb rv through the pass west of Cheyenne with 6 speed was brutal. 4000 rpm’s and 3rd and 4th gear going up. Hoping to take the same route next summer with my 1 ton and 8 speed to see how it goes. Have been up a few steep hills and the 8 speed did real good.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice truck, I say make an offer you are happy with and if they take it, great, if not, they hold out for over priced so be it. It’s called an asking price. There are lot of these trucks out there.