I'm not a millennial.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radioman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I've been a Ram guy for 30+ years. My last Ram was a 2018 Rebel. For some stupid reason, Ram decided to install a stupid electronic gear shift knob in-place of the column shift lever, and a push-to-start button instead of keys. I decided to give it a try, but was so disappointed with the performance that I traded in my Ram for a Chevy. I was so excited to hear the 2022 Ram was gonna provide the option of a G/T package that would eliminate that stupid millennial gear shift knob. Unfortunately, they are staying with the push-to-start button, and supposedly they will be going to a push button parking brake as well.

My question to the group is: Is it possible to retrofit a millennial edition truck with 100 year old proven technology and replace the push buttons with keys, and a manual parking brake?

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about your question. But my Ram has the shift knob and it took some getting used to, but I do like it now. I have no issue with the push button start, had that in my Jeep GC for 5 years, then this Ram for another 5 years. Never an issue with it.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with your NON-RAM truck. Push button start is awesome and it's not that hard to get use to the shifter. I did change mine out because I didn't like the stock look.

Attachments

• 20200522_133705.jpg
    20200522_133705.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 37

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took me some time to get use to the rotary gear selector. At first I wasn’t fond of it at all but now it’s grown on me.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are several things that you can do with the console shifter, that you will never be able to do with the darn rotary shift knob

I grabbed this image because Imageshack lost a small group of images, some had the complete console

gtqW6r.jpg

With this setup, i did not have to look for the shifter. in fact i never had to search for it at all, my eyes never left the road.

I could rapidly shift up & down in any situation
I could easily rock myself out of a slippery situation

I never had to look down to find out why the Ram was not moving & upon looking, i see that the rotary knob is in drive & up on the instrument cluster there is a message about shifting into Park & then shift into the preferred gear.

I don't give a hoot who likes the Rotary knob
It is nothing but an irritant to me

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been driving since the early 70's and it took me about a day and I would never want to go back to a column shifter and I don't even like the floor shifter in my wife's suv. Push button way better than keys...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I could rapidly shift up & down in any situation
I could easily rock myself out of a slippery situation

I never had to look down to find out why the Ram was not moving & upon looking, i see that the rotary knob is in drive & up on the instrument cluster there is a message about shifting into Park & then shift into the preferred gear.
Wouldn't matter what the transmission shifter looks like(knob or lever), it a caveat of shift by wire. The transmission will try to protect itself, rolling in one direction and dropping into the opposite direction gear is going to give you grief. Time to learn something new, if someone says they don't want to then don't bother complaining.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is all in the positioning of the drive by wire LEVER
The Rotary knob is for people who don't mind that they have to keep taking their eyes off the road to shift up/down reverse Park

The lever was right there, my eyes did not have to look away from the windshield. I just barely moved my right arm & the palm of my hand just naturally fell onto the Lever.
The design was perfect for my style of driving

Octane

Reaction score
I had a push button start,called key and go. Hated it.Never had a good place to keep the fob.Couldnt stand the big plastic pos in my pocket.I didnt mind the 6 gears and a clutch.Now at least I can plug my fob into the plastic crappy switch doohicky.And it used to be a dollar to make a spare key.Now they charge hundreds for a piece of plastic with a 50 cent circuit board in it. My all steel chevy truck without a computer and no cupholder suits me fine.Long live 1970s tech? Lol

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Rotary knob is for people who don't mind that they have to keep taking their eyes off the road to shift up/down reverse Park

The lever was right there, my eyes did not have to look away from the windshield. I just barely moved my right arm & the palm of my hand just naturally fell onto the Lever.
You shouldn't be moving when you touch the gear knob anyways. Why would it matter if you have to look at it? (which I dont anyways)

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I agree. After many vehicles over the years the floor shifter in my 2009 was the best set up. It really proved its superiority while towing. I could simply shift up and down on different terrain with not even a glance. My 2014 had the column shifter and had to feel around or look to change gears. My current dial sucks. With the gear selector on the steering wheel I have to search for it whenever changing gears.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

At least on my 2015 outdoorsman you can shift up and down by button on stearing wheel. And of course I don't recommend it but you don't have to shift to park. It automatically switches to park when you shut engine off. Reverse yes you would need to move the knob.