I'm not a millennial.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
If you had remote proximity keyless entry you wouldn't need to take the fob out of your pocket. Just touch the door handle and it unlocks. Same for tailgate. And since you're unaware of this, you can turn the ignition to "ACC" by pushing the start button one time without stepping on the brake pedal. Press it a second time without pushing the brake turns the ignition to "ON". So there is no advantage there either.

The only thing I dont like about the proximity keyless entry is when I wash my truck with the keys inside my doors repeatedly unlock every time I spray the the driver or passenger door. My wifes old Toyota Sienna van would ding constantly if even a drop of water touched the door handles.
Ive made it a point now to remove all keys from vehicles when im washing them.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm 35, don't remember exactly what that makes me but today is finally cleaning day for old and new! Truck first and then the old car finally, 55 years difference between the two of them. Best of both worlds!
View attachment 473959

Truck stays fairly clean on the outside from the car wash, the car is filthy from us not having enough time to do a good hand wash.

Ahh that's better, seriously it's a relief to finally wash this thing:

IMG_6159.jpg
IMG_6158.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The only thing I dont like about the proximity keyless entry is when I wash my truck with the keys inside my doors repeatedly unlock every time I spray the the driver or passenger door. My wifes old Toyota Sienna van would ding constantly if even a drop of water touched the door handles.
Ive made it a point now to remove all keys from vehicles when im washing them.
Haha, yeah that happens to me if I keep my fob in my pocket. I just leave it on the bench in the garage when I'm washing the truck.

Ahh that's better, seriously it's a relief to finally wash this thing:

View attachment 473992
View attachment 473993
Car looks great Joe!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha, yeah that happens to me if I keep my fob in my pocket. I just leave it on the bench in the garage when I'm washing the truck.

Car looks great Joe!

Thank you Mike!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's funny reading the op post. I very nearly did the same thing with my 2017. In the end I sucked it up and started driving it, but I hated it so much it sat in my garage for 2 years because I hated driving it and kept driving my miled out 2011 that I loved. I actually pulled the insurance off it. The shifter wasn't the thing that annoyed me most though. It was the touch screen heat controls and all the menu switching while driving vs just reaching for buttons and switches I could easily navigate without looking. I've been driving the new one the last couple years and I still think the controls suck across the board, but everything is going touch screen so at some point I have to just accept that I'll never like the controls of any new vehicle I buy any more. Whichever truck has the controls that offend me the least at the time will determine my next truck.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My very first pickup was a 1979 F100 w/302 and 3 on the tree!
Sure miss that truck...
My first truck was 67 Chevy shortbed with 3 on the tree. Later I put a floor shifter in it plus an electric overdrive unit attached to the back of the tranny. That was a hoot to drive.
I owned several cars with 3 on the tree, even had one with 4 on the tree.
And on that Chevy truck, the ignition key switch wore out. I could start it with a screwdriver. I guess you could call that "keyless". LOL

Jcooper427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate the electronic gear shift knob. I have to be careful to make sure I'm not throwing the truck into park when attempting to turn the blower motor down. Bring back the proven gear shifter. The starter button doesn't affect me, I'm fine with it.
Then you really need to pay attention cause the knob for the blower motor is way over in the middle of the dash under the radio. If you’re reaching that far over thinking it’s the shifter then you are the problem not the truck lol.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
With a tall person like me with the seat back it seems like reaching for that dial would be farther than a column shift.

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am OLD.... No need for a key and push button start is awesome in my book....

And all shifters are pretty much electronic..... the old column shift levers are just a throw back because Ford and Chevy know truck buyers will complain about changes...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Personal experience, the pushbutton start can lead to a person walking off with the key fob and leave the other circling or idling for hours until the key returns. Have had had it happen enough in the van that I refuse to ever have that option again. Turn knob shifter, just don't like it. So I bought the 2500 Tradesman to avoid those options and added what I wanted on my own. I can adjust everything with work gloves from heat/cool to volume. I installed 8.4 to have my phone's Google Maps on screen and avoid out of date maps and paying for updates that should be free (and are on my phone). 4wd shifter on floor and column gear selector where they belong means dash is uncluttered. Plus I never have to take my eyes off the road to adjust heat, fan, etc. Can't do that when radio controls everything. This is what works for me.

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But can you pull off a Rockford (J) turn with the rotary shift knob? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jim
Jimbo WISHED he had a knob shifter...

And know I doubt you could pull off a Rockford files type turn on any vehicle now. The electronics will not allow you to do something that has a HIGH likelihood of damaging your vehicle

It took some time to get used to.... But I drive my truck about 1/3 of the time offroad...... 30k total miles since late January of 2021. A Least one third of that is off road in the woods..

Once I got used to it.... I realized RAM has a great set up for serious off road driving.... The shifter and 4wd controls are all together... and if you need to lock out gears, etc... ALSO right hand....

A few weeks ago I was with a friend in his GMC 1500 in the woods.... I was driving to because I knew where we were going and how to get there......

It was both incredibly and pathetically cumbersome... The shift lever is on the column and the 4wd controls are on the left.... you cannot work both with the same hand......

I almost stuck us a couple of times fumbling with things..... His truck but he does not share my offroad experience..... He would have most likely stuck us...

I finally just left it in 4wd High..... And we drove about 25 miles through the woods like that....

I realized RAM has spoiled me..... I can be driving along in 2wd..... See something suspect.... Sand, Mud, wet clay, washouts, etc..... I shift back and forth into 4wd and back to 2wd without thinking about it.

I am in 4wd and start losing forward progress I can shift into reverse VERY VERY quickly....

I can reverse then neutral and take pressure off the transmission to allow for 4wd shift very quickly....

My suggestion if you do not like your knob shifter.... Drive it some more.... Go out and do some technical driving......
It is simply a better system...

Sluff Track

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking
Engine
?
@JohnnyBandit I wonder if it possible with the Nanny Kill Switch, granted, I have only seen it for the Power Wagons. That would be an awesome mass of steel to try to whip around...

Jim

cobracnvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just throwing my vote for the rotary shifter. Sure, it takes a little time to get used to change, but I prefer it to the column shift or center console shift. I just need to find a new place to hang my baseball hat.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you don’t like the advancement of technology… buy an older truck since it seems to fit your personal preference. I guess we should start calling new technology “millennial” so stupid…