I'm not a millennial.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
At least on my 2015 outdoorsman you can shift up and down by button on stearing wheel.
Unless you have the transmission tuned, the buttons on the steering wheel limit the highest gear the transmission will shift into but they don't force up shifts.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
AHHH
A push button car, just like the old NASH
It had push button shift & if you reached just under the seat, there was a shift lever. You could unsnap it from clips, lift up a flap in the floor mat & screw the lever into the transmission.
Some people did not like the push buttons, because it was finicky
Those who preferred the lever, just used the lever
The women liked the push buttons

At least they had a choice

JC4041

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 15 Durango was dial, my 09 Ram was column, the 07 Bee was console....the GCSRT I had overseas was console, any time I'd come home (month at a time once a year) and we'd go everywhere in the Durango so I'd get used to it. Then I'd drive my Ram somewhere and go to reach for the dial and catch myself grabbing the 4wd dial. Got rid of the Bee and Durango...have a 21 column shift 2500 Laramie, helped the kid get a 21 Charger GT and I still have my 09 Ram....so more reaching for the 4wd dial.

Octane

Reaction score
You wearing skinny jeans? Carabiner on the beltloop works great, that's how my wife carries her keys.
And on the beltloop it would get into the seatbelt right next to the console.I considered popping off the start button cover and just plugging it in there each time but never did.And I was afraid to have it laying in the cupholder.I wanted to be able to leave a fob hidden somewhere on the car but I was afraid someone might be able to drive my car away.I just never liked the key and go thing at all. And a big plastic fob in my pocket is just to bulky for me,with it being attached to a keyring too etc

Octane

Reaction score
It is all in the positioning of the drive by wire LEVER
The Rotary knob is for people who don't mind that they have to keep taking their eyes off the road to shift up/down reverse Park

The lever was right there, my eyes did not have to look away from the windshield. I just barely moved my right arm & the palm of my hand just naturally fell onto the Lever.
The design was perfect for my style of driving
Remember,Chrysler was the one that came out with the push button auto transmission years ago.Although it may be considered a novelty and collectors item now apparently it wasnt all that popular back then after a while because they gave up on it. Next tech Chrysler may come out with is maybe put shift buttons next to the electric window switches on the door.Wouldnt surprise me a bit.They could even match the window buttons! Cool eh? Im left handed so a door shift would work for me!

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is all about preference, and what you get used to. I'm not a fan of the rotary shift, but if I had one, I'm sure I would get used to it. I do have a push button start, and really not a fan of that either. Maybe I'm old school and never caught up with today's technology, but given a choice, I would go back to the ignition key in the dash, the hi-low beam switch on the floor, manual trans, 4 wheel drive levers with linkage, just to name a few. But, technology is here to stay, and I know I'm being left behind..

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
and they say millenials complain about everything :rolleyes:.Every car maker is going the way of technology have been for a long time, same reason many have dumped manual transmissions they have to appeal to the masses,find ways to cut a few bucks on production and beat the competition.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Stay with Chevy, all good. Problem solved. You're borrowing problems at this point. w/respect.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My "15" was my first vehicle with the rotary shfter my "19" my second I'm still not completly used to it and it does have some deficiencies in operation it's especially noticeable when trying to rock a vehicle to not be stuck. Of course that's just the icing on the cake what with all the so called traction control garbage.
My "15" used the big old plastic fob for a key which took some getting used to, the "19" is this keyless push button which is taking a bunch of getting used too and I don't really care for a bit.
As far as the old push button automatics you can see how well that went over, it only lasted 2-3 years and was gone.
Much of the do dads and gimickrey in these new trucks is worthless and just for the non drivers to oh and ah over it certainly doesn't contribute to vehicle longevity or durability.

jedmunds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Actually kind of funny - I just came over from an older Chevy to my first Ram. The newer Chevy models just weren't reviewing as well as they once did in terms of quality and performance, whereas the newer Rams are top notch in many categories. I understand brand loyalty to a point but, in the end, if I'm spending the money on a new truck I'll take quality over a name any day.

I'm not a millennial either... I'm a grandfather with more on the way. I admit, I'm waiting for the day I accidentally spin the shift knob when reaching for the radio volume... being a fairly tall/large guy, though, I kinda like the extra cab space not having the shift lever. And the push button start and proximity key thing is just cool. At the end of the day, I couldn't care less if it's a knob or a lever, as long as it works well.

Big Jims 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Imagine the uproar Dodge caused in 1962... :happy175:

View attachment 473397
When I was 4 or so we had a Plymouth wagon with this type of shifter. Was going to the store with my mom and she stopped halfway up the block to give the neighbor something. When she got out and ran up to the front porch she left the car running. I of course, was standing on the front seat, easy access to play with the buttons, and play I did. LOL got mom and the neighbor’s blood running real good, mom didn’t leave in a running car again after that experience.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the column gear shifter. I have issues with my manual mode staying in that setting. I hit a hard bump and it turns it off. I had the turn dial in my Dunrago R/T and its in my Wifes Pacifica. I think it really cleans things up. Neither of them really bother me. I would like to do the center console shifter mod.

turboguard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't understand why people don't like the rotary shifter for an automatic tranny. It cuts down on a lot of clutter and works just fine.
Push button start, on the other hand....what happens when the truck fails to detect the key fob? I don't trust that crap.