I'm not a millennial.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
We still have a 1981 Mack with a push button starter and they go back a lot further than that so nothing new about push button starters. If it doesn't start when you push the button you go buy a $12 switch, if one of these new ones don't start the panic you'll have will. Grab your wallet and a hotel room if you're traveling. I breath a sigh of relief every time my vehicle with the push button start starts! LOL

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Can't say I've had a push button start fail on me. FWIW, even the early 4th gen's with a key were technically push button since they were tip start. All they did on newer trucks was remove the key and relocate the tip start to a button.

And I can't stand column shifters anymore. Pointless when everything is electronic. The rotary dial, or push buttons in other vehicles, makes sense from a design and function standpoint.

I'm in my mid 40's and love modern technology.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The new Chevy's went away with the shifter...Sure it takes getting used too. But it creates more room in the truck and since it was electronic like others mentioned, what's the point.

1634055568549.png

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a styling thing more than anything else. My wife's 2015 Cherokee has a fully electronic transmission and a floor shifter. My '11 Ram's 545RFE is fully electronic and has a floor shifter. They went to the rotary knob to save space in the cabin and probably also to economize on parts. For what it's worth, I would prefer a pushbutton start in my '11 Ram to what I have, but I like the floor shifter. We went through decades of standardized shifting controls: they were either on the column or on the floor, just like the brake was the wide pedal in the middle and the gas the skinny pedal on the right. For important, basic controls, I wish the automakers would stick to standards. Not being able to find the windshield wipers in a rental vehicle when it suddenly starts raining at night is a problem people shouldn't have. Having to think about how to shift the transmission -- even a little bit -- is no good either. I don't mind if the engineers make things more convenient, like the push to start button, but I wish they would leave the basic "driving" controls standard. Just my $.02

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use the key fob to push the start button in, there is an RFID chip in the fob that the WIN module can read and allow the truck to start.

The transmission won't shift gears if it's unsafe to do so. You can put the gear selector in park/reverse while traveling down the freeway, the worst that happens is the dash will tell you to shift back to drive. If you don't the transmission will go into neutral.

thanks for that info Crash68. Hoping to not explaining this to my wife over the phone. Haha but I also wasn’t sure of how till now.

Im hoping that you displayed name isn’t for a “crash” incident. Lol. Just messing with you. Thank again for the info.

SnowboardDEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ e-Torque
I’m not bothered by the shifter because it’s not like we have to shift into new settings every few minutes. Once you put it in drive, it stays there for awhile. I get the towing aspect and backing up a trailer. However, the center console is amazing in my opinion and absolutely love the capabilities and storage it has. Wouldn’t want to give that up just to get a shifter back.

wlbjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I don't want a vehicle without the push button start, it's 2021... I do not mind the rotary shifter but it did take some getting used to, keeps the steering column looking clean tho IMO.
It’s also a big improvement on the floor console shifter which takes up all the usable storage space . I love the big bin and sliding cup holder in my Laramie.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have more storage in my regular cab pickup than I could ever use other than junking it up so that little 6 in. square my console shifter takes up will not be the end of the world for me. The ease of having my arm laying on the console lid and using my finger to change gears if I want or choose trumps that little loss of space. Gives me some joy in driving a boring automatic vehicle.

wlbjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
My first car had the starter button on the floor.
I remember as a kid back in the ’60s my granddad had a ‘49 Ford truck with the starter button on the floor.

stevensa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Push button start or ignition key switch perform the same basic function, but the ignition key switch has a handy slot for holding your key fob.
Since I have to take it out of my pocket to unlock the doors, than I get in and am sitting with the key fob in my hand. easiest to slip it into that nice little holder for it.
The ignition switch also has other functions like turning on the power but not the ignition.
This will all pass, anyone remember push button automatics? was all the rage for a few years.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm 35, don't remember exactly what that makes me but today is finally cleaning day for old and new! Truck first and then the old car finally, 55 years difference between the two of them. Best of both worlds!
IMG_6155.jpg

Truck stays fairly clean on the outside from the car wash, the car is filthy from us not having enough time to do a good hand wash.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Push button start or ignition key switch perform the same basic function, but the ignition key switch has a handy slot for holding your key fob.
Since I have to take it out of my pocket to unlock the doors, than I get in and am sitting with the key fob in my hand. easiest to slip it into that nice little holder for it.
The ignition switch also has other functions like turning on the power but not the ignition.
This will all pass, anyone remember push button automatics? was all the rage for a few years.
If you had remote proximity keyless entry you wouldn't need to take the fob out of your pocket. Just touch the door handle and it unlocks. Same for tailgate. And since you're unaware of this, you can turn the ignition to "ACC" by pushing the start button one time without stepping on the brake pedal. Press it a second time without pushing the brake turns the ignition to "ON". So there is no advantage there either.