I'm terrible at making big decisions like, help me with some input.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I'm looking to order a 2022. I was leaning towards gas, but the price of 89 where I live isn't much less than the price of diesel. I probably tow 10-12k miles per year for work, all local as a bread guy delivering to stores. I usually have 6 stops and round trip from home and back is about 65 miles. I tow this range 3-4 days per week. The trailer is a 24' enclosed and about 4k lbs empty. Loaded up I calculated on average 9-10k lbs, sometimes more.

Leaning towards a 2500 Limited CC SB Night Edition 6.4 Hemi with the 4.10s and ram box or a 3500 Mega Cab Limited Night Edition, 68rfe Cummins.

I thought about a Mega Cab so something different than I normally have. I've owned the 6.4 before and used it for the same job, but that was a 2017 with the 6speed. I actually like how the new 8-speed performs. I currently have a 21' 2500 with the 68rfe Cummins the only reason I want out of it is it doesn't have some options that I want. I needed a truck this past summer and it was the closest that I could find that had what I wanted on it. I had always planned to order a 22' and trade this one is with the high used car market I know I won't be out much.

One minute I like the mega cab when I see them leveled on 35s or 37s, but then I go back to thinking its ugly AF.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mega cab's are great if you need interior space and storage. As a family of 5 I find it invaluable and would have a hard time going beck to a CC at this point. The open under seat storage as well as behind the seat is great for kids backpacks, jackets, you name it. Also the extra leg room is great.

You know the pros and cons of the engines since you have owned them both but it's Diesel all day every day for me in a HD truck. I won't go back to a gasser but that is all personal preference and it's been beat to death here. Like you mentioned, mid grade gas is slightly more then diesel here (or pretty close) so the extra upfront cost has already been paid off for me.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just wait until you get a load of changing transmission oil on the "perfect" German transmission that "never needs changing". No dipstick, jack the rear end while it's running, running fill and drain.

And people complain about the RFE's. All they need is a better valve body - which are available. At least you can change the damn oil without a professional garage.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The exact same truck with a diesel is gonna cost around 10 grand more than one with a gasser. Then you have the added maintenance expense with the diesel.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other. Just saying.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The exact same truck with a diesel is gonna cost around 10 grand more than one with a gasser. Then you have the added maintenance expense with the diesel.

Curious as to what this added maintenance expense is (other then fuel filters)? In 100k miles I have recouped ~65% of the upfront cost of the diesel option (over what my gas HD ram was costing me) and the remaining 35 I will more then recoup in resale value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have been able to almost hit 14k before doing fuel filters. I have the dealer do it and change the oil at the same time. Usually I can get a coupon or use points from my Ram Mastercard. Usually I end up paying around $350/$360 for it. When I had a 6.4 I changed the oil every 7k, thats about $100. The diesel costs more to operate over the course of a year, but I don't think its too much more. With the diesel after 3 days of towing for work, I'm at 1/2 tank left. With the Hemi I was on E after 3 days.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been able to almost hit 14k before doing fuel filters. I have the dealer do it and change the oil at the same time. Usually I can get a coupon or use points from my Ram Mastercard. Usually I end up paying around $350/$360 for it. When I had a 6.4 I changed the oil every 7k, thats about $100. The diesel costs more to operate over the course of a year, but I don't think its too much more. With the diesel after 3 days of towing for work, I'm at 1/2 tank left. With the Hemi I was on E after 3 days.
So your diesel get twice the mileage as the gasser??

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Exactly. OP's first sentence speaks to cost of gas versus diesel fuel. If money is deciding factor, go gas and you are thousands of dollars ahead off the lot and much of the savings will follow until you sell it someday. For bed, only a 8' will work for me so it was a CC. I carry sheetrock and such often and need to keep it covered, I have enough room in garage for mine so that helped me decide. Good luck

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towing on a regular basis that much I would get a diesel.
6.4l seems great but towing that much a diesel. Service cost is not that far off. Repair cost is definitely higher with diesel but diesel should run longer without any issues? I tow myself 3-4 times a week 8k empty and 14k loaded. Being able to idle in traffic and keep moving is worth it alone.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious as to what this added maintenance expense is (other then fuel filters)? In 100k miles I have recouped ~65% of the upfront cost of the diesel option (over what my gas HD ram was costing me) and the remaining 35 I will more then recoup in resale value.

Im just talking general maintenance…oil changes, filters, def etc. i honestly have no clue…never owned a diesel and had to maintain one. Just going on what i have read about. Do they not cost more to maintain?

Curious as to how you recouped over half of the added cost of the cummins. That is intriguing.

Does a gasser really deprecate that much more, or is the resale just less because of the cheaper price to buy it in the first place?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Million mile diesel
not even close to that with a gasser

Much better resale price with the diesel
less to go wrong with a diesel

Which ever vehicle that you decide to get
consider signing up for Business Link
Its free to sign up & you can get services not offered to regular customers

• Free Shuttle Service
  • Access to a Dedicated Account Manager
  • Next Day Service
  • Extended Service Hours for Business
  • Unrestricted Service
  • Loaner Vehicles
  • In Stock Commercial Vehicles
I sign up for it & i just have part time business
But when i have a call to do a job, i can't have my truck sitting at the dealership for days on end.
I work through dispatchers & can't tell them that my vehicle is broke down much

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Million mile diesel

• Free Shuttle Service
  • Next Day Service
  • Unrestricted Service
  • Loaner Vehicles
But when i have a call to do a job, i can't have my truck sitting at the dealership for days on end.

Million mile diesel

• Free Shuttle Service
  • Next Day Service
  • Unrestricted Service
  • Loaner Vehicles
Thank you for your service

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
OP you definitely pull enough weight to justify a diesel. To me it comes down to how long you want to keep a vehicle. If you want to keep one 5 years or more go diesel. If you want a new truck every few years go 6.4 WITH 4.10.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
How often do you have to fill up the truck while towing? Its vastly easier to just use the truck pumps and fill up a diesel with the trailer attached. I have no idea how people navigate trailers into the regular pumps, I can not imagine its a pleasant experience. This is ultimately why I choose Diesel over gas.

Mountain towing also feels a lot safer with the diesel as well. I tow a travel trailer and it was quite easy through all sorts of mountain passes in Colorado last summer. However, most of the time I tow on the flat east coast and the diesel is not as important there.

Flintlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Gassers depreciate much more than diesels in my area. I own and have owned 6.4 hemis. They are fuel hogs. You here stories of 16-17 highway with the 3.73 rears but I have never came close to that even empty. Hook a trailer or snowplow to it and it’s even worse. Even a small trailer. To each their own but this will be my last gas heavy duty.

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Million mile diesel

• Free Shuttle Service
  • Next Day Service
  • Unrestricted Service
  • Loaner Vehicles
Yes, I have Business Link. Good stuff!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Friend of mine with a towing/hauling business operates 12 trucks. He used to have a mix of Ram 3500's and Ford F350's all diesel. Used to. They were all 2016's or newer. He couldn't keep any of them on the road. Constantly in the shop for emissions problems, blown injectors, fuel pumps grenading. His maintenance and repair costs, as well as down time, wiped out any benefit a diesel had. Traded all in for 6.4 and 7.3 gassers. They definitely don't get the same fuel mileage, but they're not sitting in a shop costing him 1000's in repairs and lost business.

It's not a big deal while you are still under warranty. But when you aren't, and that diesel needs repairs, prepare to pay big money. Injectors is about $3000 repair. Fuel pump is $8000 repair if it blows up. DPF replacement is $2000 repair. DEF system service $1500-3000. Sensors, everywhere, that go bad.

Flintlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So there is a hotshot company running 12 gas powered trucks long haul?

DodgeDude1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So there is a hotshot company running 12 gas powered trucks long haul?
Yeah I doubt that.

If you’re not making the diesel work, it sips DEF. I drove from Chicago to Vegas a few years back pulling a uhaul car hauler empty. Around 18-19mpg & a 1/4 tank def.

On the way back, extra person, a bed full of my stepsons crap, S10 on the trailer full of crap, I was in the 13-15 mpg range but had to fill the def around Texas and fill it back up once in town.

I drive less than 15k a year, so I do my fuel filters once, I added a bypass oil filter to help take out the soot, oil changes in the spring & fall.

I can buy oil, air, water separator, & fuel filter online from Geno’s Garage for around $200 delivered, Valvoline Blue is +\-$15 a gallon locally.

Our plow driver has a 6.4 w/8 speed, he says around 13-14 Hwy, I get that around town.

Stick with the diesel

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
So I'm looking to order a 2022. I was leaning towards gas, but the price of 89 where I live isn't much less than the price of diesel. I probably tow 10-12k miles per year for work, all local as a bread guy delivering to stores. I usually have 6 stops and round trip from home and back is about 65 miles. I tow this range 3-4 days per week. The trailer is a 24' enclosed and about 4k lbs empty. Loaded up I calculated on average 9-10k lbs, sometimes more.

Leaning towards a 2500 Limited CC SB Night Edition 6.4 Hemi with the 4.10s and ram box or a 3500 Mega Cab Limited Night Edition, 68rfe Cummins.

I thought about a Mega Cab so something different than I normally have. I've owned the 6.4 before and used it for the same job, but that was a 2017 with the 6speed. I actually like how the new 8-speed performs. I currently have a 21' 2500 with the 68rfe Cummins the only reason I want out of it is it doesn't have some options that I want. I needed a truck this past summer and it was the closest that I could find that had what I wanted on it. I had always planned to order a 22' and trade this one is with the high used car market I know I won't be out much.

One minute I like the mega cab when I see them leveled on 35s or 37s, but then I go back to thinking its ugly AF.
I have a diesel. You'd be fine with the 6.4.