Im thinking 37s may be in my future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
We live in BC where its hard to find a level piece of road and I tow a home built 20' 5th wheel. 37's and 3.92's have worked very well with the 8 speed but I have "Tuned" the trans shift points which made a huge difference. Much cheaper then gears.
Pearl and trailer 2022.jpg

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Currently planning for what to do when its time to replace my tires (they're at 35k miles already) so within another year - 18 months. I think that 37s are in my future. I have 3.92 gears and Im looking for feedback from people who have run 37s on 3.92. I will be moving from florida to just north of nashville in the next month or so. No complaints on how the power feels currently. Also debating between a 4" lift + bumper or a 6" lift with no bumper immediately for fitting the 37s
Ahh, the follies of youth. Big tires, lift kit, i be rockin.

Let me read your future. First, your u-joints are going to fail. Why? Because the driveshaft is no longer alighed with the transmission and rear end. Thus the angle at the transmission creating more wear and probably some vibration at the u-joint attached to the transmission yoke.

Second, unless you have a 2500 series with the beefier transmission, your transmission is going to fail because of the vibration, ie wobbeling, of the u-joint at the yoke that is no longer aligned AND the extra pressure on the transmission because of having to push larger tires. Not to mention, unless you have the driveshaft lengthened, the higer you go, the less threads on the yoke are enguaged with the output shaft which may strip the threads from the shaft. 2500 with a 2 piece shaft, you are ok. 1500, buy stock in a transmission company or do not beat on it. Ever.

Third, you are going to lose probably a good 50hp to push those big **** tires. Yep, they suck the power out of your ride.

Now ask yourself, self, how much money and aggrivation am i willing to pay to look different, just like every other teen or twenty something on the block?

instead of spending yout time and effort on your truck, which you will probably not even have after a few years of dealing with the problems....you....created, take some night classes and find a better job. Much better return on your investment. If you are wealthy and do not care, disregard.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

Let me read your future. First, your u-joints are going to fail. Why? Because the driveshaft is no longer alighed with the transmission and rear end. Thus the angle at the transmission creating more wear and probably some vibration at the u-joint attached to the transmission yoke.

Second, unless you have a 2500 series with the beefier transmission, your transmission is going to fail because of the vibration, ie wobbeling, of the u-joint at the yoke that is no longer aligned AND the extra pressure on the transmission because of having to push larger tires. Not to mention, unless you have the driveshaft lengthened, the higer you go, the less threads on the yoke are enguaged with the output shaft which may strip the threads from the shaft. 2500 with a 2 piece shaft, you are ok. 1500, buy stock in a transmission company or do not beat on it. Ever.

Third, you are going to lose probably a good 50hp to push those big **** tires. Yep, they suck the power out of your ride.

Now ask yourself, self, how much money and aggrivation am i willing to pay to look different, just like every other teen or twenty something on the block?

instead of spending yout time and effort on your truck, which you will probably not even have after a few years of dealing with the problems....you....created, take some night classes and find a better job. Much better return on your investment. If you are wealthy and do not care, disregard.
You are completely right but NO FUN at all.:Big Laugh:

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Going from a 34 to a 37 is a big jump and I would bet you will be unhappy on how it performs in the hills of Tennessee. You are definitely going to want to go to a lower gear (4:56?). 35's is the max I would ever do on a 1/2 ton gas truck but that's me.

Currently planning for what to do when its time to replace my tires (they're at 35k miles already) so within another year - 18 months. I think that 37s are in my future. I have 3.92 gears and Im looking for feedback from people who have run 37s on 3.92. I will be moving from florida to just north of nashville in the next month or so. No complaints on how the power feels currently. Also debating between a 4" lift + bumper or a 6" lift with no bumper immediately for fitting the 37s

I'll be more then happy to have you get in touch with my son ,his last truck before the new 2022 was a 2016 3500 6.7 Cummins 6" lift with 37's . He loved the look of the truck , looks was about the only good thing if you like that look. Ruined his mileage , the ride etc etc . His new 2022 has 35's ,a level kit ,and he said what a difference . Much more enjoyable .

I have been all thru this stuff lifts ,tires etc. My present truck is bone stock ,and tows a fifth wheel wonderfully , would never go back to all that nonsense ,plus expense .

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine

Good for Op for having a vision, a dream, something that may excite him to accomplish :waytogo:

Beats the Sh$& Heads out there bored, restless and up to no good.

Might very well be a money pit for him. Could very well be inspiration for him. That’s what we call Experience, hands on learning, and the school of hard knocks. I’d rather have him learn that way, than how to jack somebodys car and break into homes….. or even be an internet troll.

Definately with you on getting a good education and good paying job. Trust me….. it’s great having ‘F U’ money than not.

Damn… I’m kind of inspired myself right now to do another mod :favorites37:

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Wait.. what else can I take? I already have Dr in my title/on my badge

Mhorton371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently planning for what to do when it’s time to replace my tires (they're at 35k miles already) so within another year - 18 months. I think that 37s are in my future. I have 3.92 gears and Im looking for feedback from people who have run 37s on 3.92. I will be moving from florida to just north of nashville in the next month or so. No complaints on how the power feels currently. Also debating between a 4" lift + bumper or a 6" lift with no bumper immediately for fitting the 37s
I currently have a 2020 ram 1500 lonestar on a 38 currently. If you run just a 6 inch, you can fit a 37 but will need to trim just a little bit and then zip tie your front inner fender liner away from tire and should be good.

37 is a lot of tire, make sure you get something to recalibrate speedo. If you are running a 3.92, you have to think that jumping from stock (32” roughly) to a 37 is about a 16% gain of tire so a 3.92 would need to be re geared to about a 4:56 to keep final drives the same.

Hope this helps!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What a joke. Just assuming hes a kid with no money and not educated enough to know the repercussions of making changes to his truck. Give me a break (or him).

Maybe he drives bentleys and lamborghinis and this truck is just a beater toy for him that he wants to break and fix and repeat.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What a joke. Just assuming hes a kid with no money and not educated enough to know the repercussions of making changes to his truck. Give me a break (or him).

Maybe he drives bentleys and lamborghinis and this truck is just a beater toy for him that he wants to break and fix and repeat.
Yes ,and whatever he does don't listen to the good advice given , go ahead and put those big tires on ,and find out for yourself . I sometimes wonder why someone gets on these forums ,and asks about these things . One reason is they want someone to agree with them on how stupid the idea is , and he certainly got it here .

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes ,and whatever he does don't listen to the good advice given , go ahead and put those big tires on ,and find out for yourself . I sometimes wonder why someone gets on these forums ,and asks about these things . One reason is they want someone to agree with them on how stupid the idea is , and he certainly got it here .
I would absolutely not say I certainly got agreement. I asked for advice from people who had experience with the situation and I got input from people who have had 37s with 3.92 gears and upgraded from 3.92 gears. I am more than aware of the other considerations that go into upgrading to 37s and the members who are *active and helpful* participants of this forum may have recognized that from my post history and that was why they were able to meaningfully contribute to this thread.