Improving Handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broteinshake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not really interested in lowering the truck, but I just want to improve the truck's handling. its a sport quad cab. What coil and spring setup would you guys recommend? I already have the hellwig sway bar in the rear. Would the first step be to lower the rear 2" and install an adjustable panhard bar?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
What hole do you have the hellwig set up in. The handling can be affected based on the set up.

In addition, have you considered poly bushings vs rubber? That will make a difference.

Last have you updated shocks?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s a bigger rear bar than the hellwig. Lowering the rear may help but upgrading the bushings to poly will help both the Front and rear sway bar. Are you 4wd or 2wd? You said coil so guessing 4wd. There is a bigger sway bar available for the 2wd front if you are 2wd. Upgrade the shocks to something better would help. The bilstein are stiffer.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Bilstein 6112's up front at 1.3" lift, out back I have fox 2.0, Tuftruvk1223V springs and the helwig in the center hole and I like the way my truck handles.

I was lowered on ground force 2/3 setup with the helwig and the truck really handeled great, but it road very firm so I swapped to the bilstein/fox set up and added the new coild down the road.

Robcar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you happen to know who sells the larger sway bars for a 2017 1500 2WD?

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are having problem with front end dive in hard cornering, Hellweg makes a heavier front sway bar also. Between the two, and low profile tires and stiffer springs/shocks, It will firm things up quite a bit. Might ride like a buckboard, if its the sports car feel in a truck, that will help.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'm not really interested in lowering the truck, but I just want to improve the truck's handling. its a sport quad cab. What coil and spring setup would you guys recommend? I already have the hellwig sway bar in the rear. Would the first step be to lower the rear 2" and install an adjustable panhard bar?

First, do some basics - you have a 2014 after all.

Rancho 9000XL shocks - adjust to what you like.

Do you have a steering stabilizer? If so, put in a new one.

Bushing - look at replacing

Do that and see how it feels.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
@Robcar The larger sway bar is sold by roadmaster and is available via etrailer.com. it is essentially the bar for the 2500 but fits the 1500. It's for the rear and the 2wd and 4wd bar are the same. For the front, there are very limited options

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If you are having problem with front end dive in hard cornering, Hellweg makes a heavier front sway bar also. Between the two, and low profile tires and stiffer springs/shocks, It will firm things up quite a bit. Might ride like a buckboard, if its the sports car feel in a truck, that will help.
I would suggest improving shocks, and go to poly bushings before spending $$ on a new front sway bar.

I didn't see change with the hellwig front bar and my 14RCSB corners like it's on rails.

Im running 5125 bilsteins, poly bushings and and a ihc lowering kit.

And no, it does not ride like a buckboard.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest improving shocks, and go to poly bushings before spending $$ on a new front sway bar.

I didn't see change with the hellwig front bar and my 14RCSB corners like it's on rails.

Im running 5125 bilsteins, poly bushings and and a ihc lowering kit.

And no, it does not ride like a buckboard.
Didn't say YOURS did. Said if he did all I listed his MIGHT.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would go with IHC 3/5 drop kit with Bilstein shocks and the core 4x4 light weight rear control arms, Hellwig sway bars, and a Spohn Panhard bar. I only went with Belltech 2/4 drop because I tow a big trailer from time to time. It rides and drives just fine and you can fix the camber with offset upper control arm ball joints, but I might replace that stuff if I sell my race car.