Improving visual appeal: Ideas? show and tell...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DizzyFranco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I parked my truck next to a stranger's truck just to get picture of them (twins). Hah I know, weirdo move. Anyone with a good looking 2nd Gen feel free to show me, I want to get everything mechnically sound on my truck before getting touch into the visual appeal. Its not too early to start considering the options. I know i want to get winch, so if you have one or just some bull horns I wanna see what yours look like. Also just ideas if you have any advice. I apppreaciate it!

-DIZZY
(96 5.9L V8 4X4 252K mi 20190420_075727.jpg 20190420_075453.jpg 20190420_075550.jpg )

Last edited:

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice Truck(s)! Which one is yours?? The first thing I would do is a nice set of fender flares! I like the Bushwackers the best. You can paint them to match the truck if you like. I'd like a winch myself but that is one of the last items I would get. It's a personal thing as the choices are almost endless!

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Needs to be lowered too, nothing looks better than a lowered ram, imo. Get rid of the spacers, they look goofy sticking way out like that, since you asked.

aidmyaim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Needs to be lowered too, nothing looks better than a lowered ram, imo. Get rid of the spacers, they look goofy sticking way out like that, since you asked.

Eh, I don’t agree about lowering the truck... I think it looks goofy lol. Then again where I’m from you almost want them lifted because it’s never going to be a pavement princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I've had a few dodge trucks, your opinion is all that matters. Lift it lower it, keep it stock, leather cloth its all good if you enjoy it and it gets the job done! Good lucking truck bud! Heres some of mine!IMG_27721.jpg IMG_4462.jpeg IMG_8335.jpg IMG_8737.jpg IMG_1873.JPG

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
21016173_1822932431055478_7081405275048360187_o.jpg

Whatcha need to do son is marry some rich cougar who'll give all the money you need in return for "companionship" (snicker).

At this point you can start building your truck into a reasonable facsimile of this fine ride. And that's no joke. I love this truck. It's an old school throwback time machine of what you could build 20 some years ago.

Troydodge, the owner of this fine piece... kinda shorted himself on the paint though. It surely needs some pearl ghost flames in various red hues and polished stainless driveshafts.

You can modernize though. Get rid of your Skyjunker quad shock setup and 3 inch spacer. Upgrade to a complete coilover long arn suspension from Dodge Offroad. 20 something inch rims with newer tires like Kumhos or Nittos. Custom multi tube roll bar with modern cree light bars. Full stainless exhaust with matching headers. Long tubes will fit no problem.

You can negotiate with your lady for that. Might cost ya a couple vacations to exotic locales, walking the beach with her wrapped around your arm while scantly clad honeys your own age wriggle past. No worries mate, you know what's waiting for ya when you get home.

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9

Which one of these trucks is yours? I ask because a 96 would not have a 2000 up sport grill/ bumper combination from the factory.

A 96 sport would have a painted bumper and grille like the white monster pictured in the previous post.

The I realized that OP's is the truck on the right. Does anyone else know how I knew? Since the OP hasn't commented in a couple weeks here, let's play a game.

The one on the left appears to have a well worn paint job with the clear peeling off the bumper fascia. Also badly faded headlight lenses. But it is a 2000 or 2001.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DizzyFranco

DizzyFranco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Which one of these trucks is yours? I ask because a 96 would not have a 2000 up sport grill/ bumper combination from the factory.

A 96 sport would have a painted bumper and grille like the white monster pictured in the previous post.

The I realized that OP's is the truck on the right. Does anyone else know how I knew? Since the OP hasn't commented in a couple weeks here, let's play a game.

The one on the left appears to have a well worn paint job with the clear peeling off the bumper fascia. Also badly faded headlight lenses. But it is a 2000 or 2001.

HAS IT REALLY BEEN A COUPLE OF WEEKS? MY APOLOGIES. I have been working on my truck every free moment Ive had. (fixing a differential)

LOVE
the posts
LMAO OKIESPANIEL
that is a monster. - and -
YES, any ideas on location? (for hunting rich cougars)
i digress - -

Din-din-ding! correct! my truck is
the 96 on the right side, with slightly shorter height or lift. Impressive application of attention to detail! I mightve guessed going on the given info that one had just stopped by for a pic, therefore likely to be the truck without the interior windshield shade up.

@multimopes
YES! flares will be added to the list at your suggest. Winch probably near the bottom indeed, and probably in the performance category more so than visual appeal. btw. after seeing ur prof pic, my truck feels naked. and im pretty sure i'd leave mine black as well.

@Tray Burge
whats this talk about spacers? I dont have any, but i hope im not thinking of the wrong thing here, and hope theres nothing im missing here (im lost). havent had this truck too long so i am not sure if all parts are native to it, BUT i like the wider wheels look. i wouldnt use spacers on the wheels and i hope i dont have any. now im scared. ill take a pic right now just before i post this reply since my rear end is taken apart.
anyway i guess i should have stated my plans for the truck in OP, as lower suspension will def not work as I plan on taking the truck off road occasionally.

My personal idea and dream truck would be something visually appealing (of course), and could hypothetically run the baja 1000. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, or less likely, a natural disaster, haha - i want to be equipped and capable of getting around when chaos sets in and panic (im living in L.A.) creates a traffic gridlock making the highways un-commutable for lack of better word. SO a winch definitely would come handy.
and some beef jerky.

lol i know i know... i day dream

20190504_074639.jpg

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
just curious what that banner says on the other side. I happen to have one of similiar size and shape

OP
OP
DizzyFranco

DizzyFranco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
oh hehe @DodgeTx its a Lincoln Electric banner. the company that makes/sells welding machines if youre not familiar with the name

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
HAS IT REALLY BEEN A COUPLE OF WEEKS? MY APOLOGIES. I have been working on my truck every free moment Ive had. (fixing a differential)

LOVE
the posts
LMAO OKIESPANIEL
that is a monster. - and -
YES, any ideas on location? (for hunting rich cougars)
i digress - -

Din-din-ding! correct! my truck is
the 96 on the right side, with slightly shorter height or lift. Impressive application of attention to detail! I mightve guessed going on the given info that one had just stopped by for a pic, therefore likely to be the truck without the interior windshield shade up.

@multimopes
YES! flares will be added to the list at your suggest. Winch probably near the bottom indeed, and probably in the performance category more so than visual appeal. btw. after seeing ur prof pic, my truck feels naked. and im pretty sure i'd leave mine black as well.

@Tray Burge
whats this talk about spacers? I dont have any, but i hope im not thinking of the wrong thing here, and hope theres nothing im missing here (im lost). havent had this truck too long so i am not sure if all parts are native to it, BUT i like the wider wheels look. i wouldnt use spacers on the wheels and i hope i dont have any. now im scared. ill take a pic right now just before i post this reply since my rear end is taken apart.
anyway i guess i should have stated my plans for the truck in OP, as lower suspension will def not work as I plan on taking the truck off road occasionally.

My personal idea and dream truck would be something visually appealing (of course), and could hypothetically run the baja 1000. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, or less likely, a natural disaster, haha - i want to be equipped and capable of getting around when chaos sets in and panic (im living in L.A.) creates a traffic gridlock making the highways un-commutable for lack of better word. SO a winch definitely would come handy.
and some beef jerky.

lol i know i know... i day dream

View attachment 164983

The outside rear view mirrors were the giveaway.

You live in Cali right? That's Cougar paradise. Open year 'round season and no bag limit. Have fun!

You already have spacers. I saw the front spacers in your original post. You need taller coils.

That little tiny silver thing between your factory rear block and spring pack? That's a spacer. Only one company makes that. BDS includes that piece with their rear add a leaf kit. That set up gives you 3 inches over your factory height. BTW you do not want to stack blocks!

You can off road with your current suspension. I did it for years in Arizona.

You do not want to add more spacers at this point. You will have to replace your springs. That will also require other components to be replaced or adjusted.

I might suggest reading this thread, or the original post thoroughly...

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lift-basics-for-2nd-gen-4x4-rams.25153/

Last edited:

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I like a red truck, but that's alot of red going on there. Black fener flares might break it up some. Consider a blacked out grille or, since you want a winch, an HD steel (black) bumper. Maybe some black graphics on the hood and sides.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I guess the OP asked for examples of visual appeal.

While having a truck with a mile deep custom paint job, lifted or lowered with expensive rims and tires, it's the details that should catch the eye.

The problem is that adding these things can affect how much damage you're willing to take from off roading.

512RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I parked my truck next to a stranger's truck just to get picture of them (twins). Hah I know, weirdo move. Anyone with a good looking 2nd Gen feel free to show me, I want to get everything mechnically sound on my truck before getting touch into the visual appeal. Its not too early to start considering the options. I know i want to get winch, so if you have one or just some bull horns I wanna see what yours look like. Also just ideas if you have any advice. I apppreaciate it!

-DIZZY
(96 5.9L V8 4X4 252K mi View attachment 163475 View attachment 163474 View attachment 163476 )

20190505_110834.jpg

20190505_110909.jpg

OP
OP
DizzyFranco

DizzyFranco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
WELL SAID @Okiespaniel !

FIRST off those are some beautiful trucks indeed - @512RAM

@K-Dawg yeap yeap im into it.
definitely dont think im going to add more red overall, mostly black, maybe some chrome or gray here and there. no graphics.
im into what @Okiespaniel said
about the balance of having nice things vs beating up ur nice things.
i want a beast that is a solid
workhorse that is well built and looks good because its got good paint, wheels, suspension, and running great. nothing too luxurious or fancy bling, just the necessary accessories which also affect the overall appeal and performance. Like a winch on a strong looking grille guard, toolbox in the bed. maybe a roll bar if thats what its called. im picturing an steel pipe arched over and behind the rear glass, sticking out from the bed, shaped like a hockey goal post or soccer.

10 years ago i had a frontier 4x4 all stock...
in san felipe, mexico
got stuck in a huge mud pit that appeared shallow at first
someone that pulled me out had this type of bar in his bed, he tied a rope on the top cross bar of it and the other end to my truck of course. it was awesome, he had an old toyota pickup like '86 or somethin
anyway. things that look good but also have their use and function as either protection, performance, or other kinds of fun.
i dont want to drive with fear out there. i might break a nail oh no!

anyway
can anyone help me?
i dont have the tool to measure backlash and honestly too lazy to go look for 1. im trying to eyeball this and see if i get lucky.
can anyone tell me if this amount of play with ring gear and pinion looks reasonable?
i made video wiggling ring back n forth showing amount of movement or play without the pinion turning.
thanks!

I guess the OP asked for examples of visual appeal.

While having a truck with a mile deep custom paint job, lifted or lowered with expensive rims and tires, it's the details that should catch the eye.

The problem is that adding these things can affect how much damage you're willing to take from off roading.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334