In a pinch here-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gabriel-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 F OHV 16V
In a pinch here-

I'm going on a 6 hour trip tomorrow, checking fluids of course and my reservoir is barley reading coolant on the stick. Can't find any local stores that have OAT purple. Dealership is closed. What can I put in it foe a 12 round trip?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you remove a radiator cap and see if the coolant is low at all? Not sure if yours has a cap.

If coolant is up to the radiator cap, I'd put the cap back on, and put some filtered (or distilled) water in the reservior and bring it up to the low end of the coolant level stick. Don't use tap water. Pay attention to how much water you are putting in so you can match it with coolant when you later get some. Chances are the coolant is not real low. But verify by removing the radiator cap.

Then when you can, or go by a dealership in the next few days, swing in and get the right coolant. Put in the amt of (concentrated) coolant as you put in water. Don't use pre-mix coolant. Then you'll have the right mixture and be perfectly set, no harm done.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
x2 man, in summer for sure just put in distilled water. no downside at all, you are still protected. in florida you can even run a lower % coolant to water. They have coolant testers 3 bucks on amazon, look them up when you get back, but for now h20.

OP
OP
Gabriel-K

Gabriel-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 F OHV 16V
The radiator is full. I'll go with some distilled water to get me where im going. I'll be there for a week. So I'll find a dealership there to pick up a bottle of the good stuff.

Thanks for the help. Wasn't real sure what to put in it. I just know that I didnt want to put universal in it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The radiator is full. I'll go with some distilled water to get me where im going. I'll be there for a week. So I'll find a dealership there to pick up a bottle of the good stuff.

Thanks for the help. Wasn't real sure what to put in it. I just know that I didnt want to put universal in it.
My truck, and other new trucks on the lot , in 2016 , came from the factory with just enough fluid to touch the bottom of the dipstick. Sounds like you're the same. , I wouldn't add anything.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Use distilled water to bring the level up to just above the Minimum level

When you get back home, buy some Concentrated OAT
Pick up a antifreeze balance tester
they are usually accurate to within 4%

a 50-50 mix with water will raise the boiling point to 261 degrees
In your case this time of the year, you are not worried about the Freezing point

1631404197236.png

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious is the Chrysler coolant that sensitive that even Prestone any type can't be added?
If so, is it that good that it should only be used? Or if the chance arises should I do a full flush and convert to green as I did my sons 1997 4.3L Sonoma.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Coolants don't mix, and coolant technologies arent even similar, they don't populate the surface the same way. Yes Mopar purple is that good, 10 year dex clone that removed the bad additive that made dex a walking lawsuit. It is a 10 year 150k mile safe coolant, there is zero reason to use anything else if your truck came with it. Even the previous coolant was great Chrysler HOAT, but that is only 5 year coolant and again not compatible. Using last century IAT coolant isn't really a good way to do it, but to each is own. They made some hybrids that were supposed to be compatible and I fell for it, but they aren't. too many examples you mix coolants you risk gelling or other damage. If you had a gun to my head and told me I had to mix or die, I'd look into universal coolants like peak global life, but purple oat is as good as it gets and is very cheap annual cost like 2 bucks per year, so just buy some and store it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coolants don't mix, and coolant technologies arent even similar, they don't populate the surface the same way. Yes Mopar purple is that good, 10 year dex clone that removed the bad additive that made dex a walking lawsuit. It is a 10 year 150k mile safe coolant, there is zero reason to use anything else if your truck came with it. Even the previous coolant was great Chrysler HOAT, but that is only 5 year coolant and again not compatible. Using last century IAT coolant isn't really a good way to do it, but to each is own. They made some hybrids that were supposed to be compatible and I fell for it, but they aren't. too many examples you mix coolants you risk gelling or other damage. If you had a gun to my head and told me I had to mix or die, I'd look into universal coolants like peak global life, but purple oat is as good as it gets and is very cheap annual cost like 2 bucks per year, so just buy some and store it.
DITTO...Mopar Coolant. DO NOT MIX. IMHO.....

DISTILLED WATER to minimum line only. AND, BTW, gonna state the OBVIOUS: Check when cool, and bring up to minimum level. Get some proper Mopar Coolant and later when cool, add to the full, maximum line.

HECK, it seems sometimes FCA only fills to minimum line. I had to buy a gallon and I put over a quart to fill to the full fill line.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
x3 on running only mopar coolant. I needed to add to mine and Called advanced auto parts and was told they had one that was universal. My better judgement told me to call the dealership. Nope they dont mix. I ordered mine on Amazon and it was here next day. Cheaper too.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What gets me is I've seen many a jug of Prestone that stated something like: compatible with all antifreezes.
I never trusted that.

OP
OP
Gabriel-K

Gabriel-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 F OHV 16V
Ok guys, pics of passenger side above valve cover. Moisture along the entire side. Driver side is clean.

is this my coolant smell? Or something else?

20210922_163245.jpg20210922_163517.jpg

OP
OP
Gabriel-K

Gabriel-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 F OHV 16V
Pics from bottom side(passenger) 20210922_165906.jpg20210922_165743.jpg