In dash radio/navi -vs- dash mount navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techjunkie25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Good morning all,

I have a 2017 ram 1500 tradesman 5.7l quad cab.
It has the standard radio, and I’ve been thinking about possibly putting an in dash radio with navigation in it, OR, just using a dash mounted 6” garmin.

Anyone have any input or have a similar experience? Any issues arose from putting a different head unit in?

Thanks everyone!

Aaaaaand the obligatory truck pic is enclosed! 1300a2f8c0908865f96257d51177adc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first thought would be just go with the Garmin, and find a good mount. Replacing your radio to include the nav system is kind of pricey, and then you would have to add a satellite antenna somewhere as well. And, if something goes wrong it is a PIA to get if repaired. I have had issues with my 8.4 nav system in my 2013, and it is not cheap to get them repaired, or updated. If I go on a trip, I still use my Garmin in conjunction with the radio/nav system since I "trust" it more. Plus, you have to be stopped to put any inputs into the vehicle nav system. With the Garmin the passenger in my truck can be doing inputs while in motion. Just my 2 cents worth.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the built in Nav and I still use my dash mounted Garmin instead. The external unit has better routing and I get free map updates every 3 months instead of paying $150 a year for one a year for the built in unit. The only reason I went with the Nav equipped built in (RA4) instead of the non-nav unit (RA3) when I upgraded it from the 5" (RA2) it came with was to get the HD Radio.

-K

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would replace the headunit with something better than factory that has androidauto/carplay and use waze for my nav.

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I would replace the headunit with something better than factory that has androidauto/carplay and use waze for my nav.

This. double-din CarPlay radios are relatively inexpensive and Waze is the bomb.

Ransom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VMI 3.0 TD
I have the factory nav which I find handy . Using voice commands I can input an address while driving or using the POI menue find food or rooms. But I often take my Garmine GPS on trips as I can plan turn by turn routes.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think about getting a Kenwood DNX head unit. Has Garmin Nav built in, plus you could use waze or google maps if you wanted. 7" screen and nothing on your dash. Plus the directions play through the speakers. And like the dash mounted Garmin, you can use voice commands.

I currently have a 7" Garmin Nav with backup camera. My 2017 came with the base radio. I have been debating this between the 8.4 or going with a Kenwood or cheaper Android Auto radio. I have found a refurb Kenwood with the Sirius tuner for under $500. Overall it's much cheaper and it seems that the 8.4 radios have some issues with updates (I'm guessing so do the Kenwood's). I do like the stock look of the 8.4's, but I am leaning towards aftermarket. When I take my current Garmin off my dash, I like the empty look out forwards.

Good luck.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Like anything there are Pro's and con's/ I have been using the Garmins for years, Had 1 on my motorcycle as well ! You get Free Updates and can also get traffic alerts ! For less the $200.00 your all set to go ! The windshield mount sort of sucks but works and you may have to try a few spot's to fit you! Also some states may consider some locations as Obstructing Vision !
I made a set up to sit my Garmin in that Dash Pocket !
Mount.JPG GPS Mounted (2).JPG Bracket3.JPG

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Another vote for Garmin. Free updates (make sure you check the model, some don't have that)
I used a cd case plastic circle cut 1/8" bigger than the suction cup and 3M moulding tape.
View media item 27367after the pic was taken, I took off the bezel and hard wired the power to the cig lighter
View media item 28729

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best of both worlds. Two screws and your done....

72c4da44d7443f707d76809c2b5b5bae.jpg

IPad mini slides in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would skip the factory navigation, instead I would either use a standalone unit like a Garmin and/or going aftermarket and take advantage of CarPlay. I have both and prefer using my Garmin unit on long trips and stick with CarPlay maps when going on shorter ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have read many posts on here about problems with the Uconnect after updates, and just read something a few minutes ago that triggered my memory. Looking at buying my own modem, I came across a website that was very informative. Does anyone know what chip is in them? This article said a chip called, I think Puma-6, is causing a lot of failures in modems, but said if you get a modem with a broadcom chip, they are very reliable. So just wondering what chip the factory navigation system may have in them. Anyone?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Hands down Garmin! Think your in dash system will still get updates in 10-15-20 years? Garmins are cheap these days, I got a 2019 garmin with a 5.5 screen for about $50 used on ebay with lifetime maps and traffic. Bet navi on the Ram is a lot more expensive than that.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The hassle of adding a new radio with navigation isnt worth it. Just get the garmin and call it a day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk