Incorrect Wheel Balance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. I have a question about the balance on my new Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. I recently had a brand new set mounted and balanced. The truck has a vibration. The vibration is a little in the steering wheel, but mostly in the seat and floorboard. I got underneath to look at the weights, and noticed one wheel has about a six inch section of weights, and a couple of others have weights in a couple of different areas on the inside of the wheels. This may be right, but I am thinking that it is not. New tires should give you a smooth ride, but these do not.

Do you guys only have your wheels balanced on the inside, or both inside and out?

I would put up some pics, but the truck is currently at the dealer with a/c issues again. Thanks

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does your shop offer a guarantee?

Mine are only on the inside, but depending on how out of balance your tires are, they could have needed both....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your shop offer a guarantee?

Mine are only on the inside, but depending on how out of balance your tires are, they could have needed both....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yes, there is a lifetime balance. There are only weights on the inside. Hopefully these new Falkens are not that much out of balance.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might want to look into a Road Force balance. Also you would be surprised how many tire places don't know to do a proper spin balance.
Very true. I will see if there is a place locally where I can have that done. Something isn’t right. Shouldn’t have a rough ride, or that much weight on a set of new tires.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true. I will see if there is a place locally where I can have that done. Something isn’t right. Shouldn’t have a rough ride, or that much weight on a set of new tires.
Also generally speaking the better quality big name brands(not talking about Goodyear) especially Michelins usually take very little weight to balance correctly. Just out of curiosity how many ounces of weight are on each wheel roughly?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The factory POS tires had weights almost all around the rim [emoji1787]. My duratracs have a fair bit too but I think it comes with the territory of heavy tread tires. Sounds like yours are really outta balance. I’d take it back. Could be a defect or like mentioned ****** balance job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also generally speaking the better quality big name brands(not talking about Goodyear) especially Michelins usually take very little weight to balance correctly. Just out of curiosity how many ounces of weight are on each wheel roughly?
I’ll have to see how many ounces are on each wheel when I pick it up at the dealer, hopefully on Monday. What worries me, is that there are a couple of wheels where there are weights at two different spots on the inside. Kind of looks like they were chasing an issue. When I worked at a tire shop in the early 90’s, that was a big no no. Generally meant the tire wasn’t evenly seated on the wheel, or that it needed to be rotated some on the wheel and reinflated, and then rebalanced.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the wheel weights are not in one location on the wheel, for example opposite sides, its counterbalanced and incorrect. They need to fix it.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might want to look into a Road Force balance. Also you would be surprised how many tire places don't know to do a proper spin balance.
Ok, I had the Roadforce balance done. The balance was a total of 13 ounces out on the passenger side, and out 8 ounces on the drivers side. After the Roadforce balance, two of the tires are right at the threshold of being considered unacceptable. The ride is better now than it was. My issue is, at highway speeds there is still a side to side shimmy that is driving me nuts because I know it’s there. The ride is just as bad as the worn out tires they replaced. The shimmy is in the seat and floorboard. Not real happy. New tires should not ride like this.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Falkens (305/55/20) have about 16k on them and are wearing exceptionally well. The original shop mounted them and my new wheels. It was a brother of a friend’s shop and I have had a vibration at higher speeds, it was slight, but always annoyed me...I chalked it up to a 70lb AT tire. Just likethe OP I had wheel weights everywhere on all 4 wheels.
I took it to Discount Tire today and they stripped all the weights off and rebalanced. Nowhere near the amount of weights as before, and in different places. Just spin balanced, no need for road forced balance. Truck rides smooth as glass now...Ran it all the way up to 90mph and not even a peep of vibration. Extremely impressed and pleased with Discount Tire.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Falkens (305/55/20) have about 16k on them and are wearing exceptionally well. The original shop mounted them and my new wheels. It was a brother of a friend’s shop and I have had a vibration at higher speeds, it was slight, but always annoyed me...I chalked it up to a 70lb AT tire. Just likethe OP I had wheel weights everywhere on all 4 wheels.
I took it to Discount Tire today and they stripped all the weights off and rebalanced. Nowhere near the amount of weights as before, and in different places. Just spin balanced, no need for road forced balance. Truck rides smooth as glass now...Ran it all the way up to 90mph and not even a peep of vibration. Extremely impressed and pleased with Discount Tire.
In the morning I am going to take the rear wheels off of my wife’s Ram and put them on mine, and drive it. If the issue is still there, then I’ll know that it’s not the tires causing the issue. If my ride is smooth, I guess they’ll have to address the situation at the store.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the morning I am going to take the rear wheels off of my wife’s Ram and put them on mine, and drive it. If the issue is still there, then I’ll know that it’s not the tires causing the issue. If my ride is smooth, I guess they’ll have to address the situation at the store.
I took the tar wheels off my wife’s Ram and put them on mine. Unfortunately the vibration is still there. Maybe it’s not the new tires at all. I thought the problem was my worn out old tires, but the issue is still there. Maybe it’s a driveline or suspension issue. So far, I’m at a loss.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is also a driveshaft issue affecting certain years. Its been the cause if several threads in the last year. Search that function...symptoms have been seat and floorboard vibrations. I cant honestly say if its a recall, but I do know FCA has a tech service bulletin on it.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a bad wobble at high speeds. I’ve done a lot of work to fix it to no avail. Bought new tires and rims. Vibration was worse. And very bad. Had new ujoints and drive shaft balance. Vibration is barely there now. Huuuge improvement.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a bad wobble at high speeds. I’ve done a lot of work to fix it to no avail. Bought new tires and rims. Vibration was worse. And very bad. Had new ujoints and drive shaft balance. Vibration is barely there now. Huuuge improvement.
Good deal. Mine is going back to the dealer next Monday for the issue. It seems like it comes and goes. Smooth roads are not very noticeable, but roads with constant seam separations seem to disrupt the suspension. Also while hitting bumps, the suspension feels like it has a shudder. Almost feels like the tires, but maybe suspension.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all. I have a question about the balance on my new Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. I recently had a brand new set mounted and balanced. The truck has a vibration. The vibration is a little in the steering wheel, but mostly in the seat and floorboard. I got underneath to look at the weights, and noticed one wheel has about a six inch section of weights, and a couple of others have weights in a couple of different areas on the inside of the wheels. This may be right, but I am thinking that it is not. New tires should give you a smooth ride, but these do not.

Do you guys only have your wheels balanced on the inside, or both inside and out?

I would put up some pics, but the truck is currently at the dealer with a/c issues again. Thanks

I would do a special Balance its called road force balance. Not too many tire shops have this Balance machine its used for big off-road tires and large size like 20 inch and larger

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do a special Balance its called road force balance. Not too many tire shops have this Balance machine its used for big off-road tires and large size like 20 inch and larger
I had the road for e balance done a few days ago. It did help, didn’t solve the issue. The truck is smooth as silk at low speeds around town, but on the highway will shimmy pretty good. Bags, coffee cup, etc, just shake away. Then sometimes at the same speed it’s hardly noticeable.