Incorrect Wheel Balance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say the tire is no good maybe one or more but its a real pain to find the bad tire. some times the tire shop guys are not given a **** you know and listen to the boss get the truck out . hope you get er done

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 18 with the same problem. I am waiting till the driveshaft recall comes out. I hear it is this month

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Falkens (305/55/20) have about 16k on them and are wearing exceptionally well. The original shop mounted them and my new wheels. It was a brother of a friend’s shop and I have had a vibration at higher speeds, it was slight, but always annoyed me...I chalked it up to a 70lb AT tire. Just likethe OP I had wheel weights everywhere on all 4 wheels.
I took it to Discount Tire today and they stripped all the weights off and rebalanced. Nowhere near the amount of weights as before, and in different places. Just spin balanced, no need for road forced balance. Truck rides smooth as glass now...Ran it all the way up to 90mph and not even a peep of vibration. Extremely impressed and pleased with Discount Tire.
Hey ThunderMug! What air pressure are you running? Thanks

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Bramic71 I was at 46psi, now I am trying a bit lower, 40psi. I will chalk test it this weekend. When at 46, I will admit it could get a bit harsh, but it still chalked great and treadwear was uniform.
Edit: I should mention that I am on Bilstein 5100’s every corner, Hellwig sway bar, new rotors all round and I recently checked tq on just about every suspension bolt in April. Either I just had a ****** original tire balance by a shop I will now avoid and/or my tires are “seasoned” now at 16k on them...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Bramic71 I was at 46psi, now I am trying a bit lower, 40psi. I will chalk test it this weekend. When at 46, I will admit it could get a bit harsh, but it still chalked great and treadwear was uniform.
Edit: I should mention that I am on Bilstein 5100’s every corner, Hellwig sway bar, new rotors all round and I recently checked tq on just about every suspension bolt in April. Either I just had a ****** original tire balance by a shop I will now avoid and/or my tires are “seasoned” now at 16k on them...
I hear you. I am only running 37psi. I get what feels like a tire shudder after every bump. Maybe my pressure is too low. This coming weekend I am going to have my tires rotated, and see what happens. Also, I am not running LT tires.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you. I am only running 37psi. I get what feels like a tire shudder after every bump. Maybe my pressure is too low. This coming weekend I am going to have my tires rotated, and see what happens. Also, I am not running LT tires.
Then again, I could have worn out original shocks as well.

Vid S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I build off-road rescue vehicles. I've always had issues balancing larger AT tires. I solved that problem by simply using balancing beads. I no longer use traditional balancing techniques on any of my vehicles (clients' or personal) - I just used the beads. I get a 100% correct balance every time my wheels get turning.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
74506813-4077-4B2C-A658-6896C7AA2D96.jpeg
This was the result of the Roadforce balance.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are these results the newest? Still vibrating?
Yes, still vibrating. I believe I might have a balance issue with my driveshaft, or possibly weak shocks in the rear. I put my wife’s wheels on my truck, and the issue was still there.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on the truck anyway? I agree that the factory shocks are pretty basic and rebound with little effort right out the box. I actually upgraded to KYB's on my 2015 Ram at around 20K miles and couldn't believe how weak the stockers were. As far as air pressure goes more is going to make for a stiffer ride which will probably magnify any vibrations your having. What brand/size/type tires are on your wifes truck and what were you running before you had these tires put on and last but not least did you have vibes with the old tires or were they just not up to par because they were worn out?
I hate to say it but I had the same problem with a 2013 F150 and two 2014 Silverado's before switching to Ram in 2015. My sensitivity to vibrations is basically through the roof since then because I spent two years chasing vibrations and it totally ruined my tolerance for any ride that's not damn near Lexus perfect. I've had one tire/rim replaced on this truck and had it balanced at three different places before I felt that it was right. Hopefully you get it figured out before too long so you don't end up like me.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles do you have on the truck anyway? I agree that the factory shocks are pretty basic and rebound with little effort right out the box. I actually upgraded to KYB's on my 2015 Ram at around 20K miles and couldn't believe how weak the stockers were. As far as air pressure goes more is going to make for a stiffer ride which will probably magnify any vibrations your having. What brand/size/type tires are on your wifes truck and what were you running before you had these tires put on and last but not least did you have vibes with the old tires or were they just not up to par because they were worn out?
I hate to say it but I had the same problem with a 2013 F150 and two 2014 Silverado's before switching to Ram in 2015. My sensitivity to vibrations is basically through the roof since then because I spent two years chasing vibrations and it totally ruined my tolerance for any ride that's not damn near Lexus perfect. I've had one tire/rim replaced on this truck and had it balanced at three different places before I felt that it was right. Hopefully you get it figured out before too long so you don't end up like me.
I have 41,000 miles on the truck. They are the factory shocks. I was running Wild Country XTX Sports before these Falkens. I thought it was the old tires causing the issue, so I bought new ones. My wife’s Ram has the Goodyear Wranglers (factory tires). They are smooth as silk on her truck, but shimmy on mine. Checked around to have the joints replaced and driveshaft balanced. $265 is the going rate around here for that, and that is if you bring them the driveshaft. After we get back from our trip, I think I might run it back to the dealer and leave it for them to figure it out. The preferred plus service plan I have, also covers shocks/struts. Also I might flip the driveshaft 180 degrees and see if that makes a difference.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Read half the posts here.

Had EXACT same issue!!!!!!!!! Swapped them out for Nittos and while it solved the problem 95%, there’s still the little residual like the AT3 had, but so much better. Might also be the feeling of going from P to LT tire, but FULLY relate as I had exact same issue I posted here on forum few months ago. Go with the Nittos if it’s bothering you too much. Speaking from first hand experience with exact same Falkens.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I noticed since this issue arrived for me and I waited to have it fixed. So the bearings in rear end will be getting replaced with my 4.10 gears. I have a slight leak in rear end so my drive shaft probably caused that damage. I also noticed the bushing on one of my rear lower control arms are worn, that can also cause vibration if control arms aren’t right. Core 4x4 will be getting my money for that

Bad brakes can cause vibration also if you haven’t checked that.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Just a thought but I had similar problems with my 2012 2500 4x4. Those two tires that had 23# of road force, did they try force matching them? The Hunter RF balancer should tell them where the heavy spots are in the tire and the rim. They should move the tire on the wheel to match the heavy spot on the tire with the light spot on the wheel- force matching. This should get them to a point where weights can correct any further imbalance.

Was this happening with your old tires before you switched? My other thought is that someone over torqued the lugs. I had that happen and it caused runout in the hubs. Both hubs had to be replaced and it was fine after that.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I could tell where they had unseated the tires, and then reseated them. They spent a lot of time with them, and that is the best they would get. My local Roadforce rep said that is still within specs. The 23# tires are on the front, and there is no steering wheel shake. The ones that balanced really well are on the rear. The shimmy shows in the seat, console, and floorboard. It was happening with my old tires, so I bought new ones because I thought it was the tires. I also put the wheels off of my wife’s Ram on my truck, and had the same result. Seems to me that there is a mechanical imbalance somewhere.

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
2018 Laramie 6.7 diesel, factory tires have 13,000 and have had them balanced now 3 weekends in a row... Have rough ride at 65-75 mph...like a unbalanced tire....it's seems to be the right front perhaps....anyone have similar issue??

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
2018 Laramie 6.7 diesel, factory tires have 13,000 and have had them balanced now 3 weekends in a row... Have rough ride at 65-75 mph...like a unbalanced tire....it's seems to be the right front perhaps....anyone have similar issue??

JimRam2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having the same issue with the Falken vibration. Very noticeable above 60 mph. Going for 3rd rebalance tomorrow at Discount tire. Tires look great and good traction. Would jump at a chance to swap them out, but now have 2,000 miles on them so feel a little stuck!