Increase towing capacity by changing differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tigers54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7
I have 2016 Tradesman quad cab; V8, 5.7 hemi. My axle ratio is 3.21 and the capacity is 8200lbs. Is it possible to change the gear ratio to 3.92, to get me up to 10k towing? Thanks!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes you could in theory do that. But remember your registered and your vin reflects the numbers you can haul. So unless u have paperwork or are legally re registered to haul the 10+ k they could still Fine you and be dinks.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure if you're a 1500 or a 2500, but if you are a 1500 you're going to run out of payload capacity long before you're going to max out your towing capacity. Your payload is, I'm guessing, about 1700 pounds. Just a 10k pound trailer alone will take up 1500 pounds with tongue weight and hitch hardware. You need to get the right tool for the job, a 2500.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
There is nothing you can do to legally change your tow capacities. And yes. you will likely run out of payload before hitting max towing. You probably have about 1400lbs payload (check your yellow sticker in your drivers door jamb). A typical 8000lb trailer will have close to 1000lbs of tongue weight so you are already almost out of payload. Now add a tonneau cover, bigger (heavier) tires and wheels, a passenger, and you are likely at your max.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Payload is the issue here, not the ability to pull a specific weight.

And payload is all about suspension & frame components.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As has been said it gets expensive if you have 4WD but completely doable. “Legal” towing and payload capacity on a private vehicle is contentious discussion that can be read about elsewhere. Suffice to say your VIN won’t change and neither will what RAM states as your capacities. If you want to do a better job of pulling the full 8200lbs you’re already rated for then a gear swap might be a good move (it’ll just lower your unloaded mpg). If you educate yourself on the specs of your truck and applicable laws and feel you’re ok going to 10k that’s you’re call. To my knowledge your truck is identical to a 10k truck except for gears. But I’m just some guy on an Internet forum. Do your homework. Also weigh the cost of modification against upgrading to a different truck. Or spending that money on a lighter but nicer trailer. All depends on your particular needs.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2714.jpg This is straight from the people who build Ram trucks.

3.92 final gears: 12% of 10,000 pounds is 1200 pounds of tongue weight which gives you 500 pounds to spare.

Me personally, I wouldn't go very far nor very fast with 10k lbs behind a 1500. And I'd get a tongue Scale

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly no matter what gears, the 1500’s start having handling issues at 8,000.

PrdCdn

TEAM RAMROD
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L ECO Diesel
Correct me if I am wrong, does not gear change affect speed? EI - allows your tires to spin faster?
Payload increase - would you not want air bags? Heavier suspension? Bigger Axles? Sturdier Frame? Bigger Engine?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Correct me if I am wrong, does not gear change affect speed? EI - allows your tires to spin faster?
Payload increase - would you not want air bags? Heavier suspension? Bigger Axles? Sturdier Frame? Bigger Engine?
Not sure if you are implying he change these parts? Or buy a bigger truck? Changing any of these will not change payload. Can't do anything about it unless you start removing parts like bed, bumpers, etc. Your GVWR cannot change and payload is calculated by taking GVWR - curb weight. Reducing curb weight is the only way to 'gain' more payload

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the context of towing the two main things a larger axle gear ratio provides is a reduction in the amount of torque from the engine & through the transmission necessary to perform the same work (this can reduce how much heat is generated and how much the clutches and fluid get beat up) and an improvement in engine (compression) braking leverage which can help reduce heat load and wear on the brakes.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In the context of towing the two main things a larger axle gear ratio provides is a reduction in the amount of torque from the engine & through the transmission necessary to perform the same work (this can reduce how much heat is generated and how much the clutches and fluid get beat up) and an improvement in engine (compression) braking leverage which can help reduce heat load and wear on the brakes.

It also becomes MUCH more fun to drive on the street.